cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tank odors

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
In the past we stayed for several months in the same RV park in our MH. We used Exodor Bio-Pak drop ins for the black and gray tanks. Sometimes there was a horrible eggy smell when we dumped the gray tank. Was this because we were not on the move very often? Suggestions welcome on how to prevent black and gray tank odors.

We are going on a 6 month trip where we will be traveling more but sometimes staying for one month in the same RV park.

Thanks all.
23 REPLIES 23

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had the tank smell only two times. Both times it was wen I was in a long term spot and let the tank build up to 3/4 before I emptied or when I did not dump after boon docking and waited till I got to the next campground. I put blue dawn dish detergent in it and put some water and use it and it is less and then put water and dawn in before I leave and drive and it is fine.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
There have been several RV.Net posters in the past who had there black tank explode! The black tanks in these cases according to the posters had urine in the black tank for long periods of time. They bought there coaches from 2nd parties never RVing before and dumped bleach in the black tank!

So several past RVers bought used RVs that still had "stuff" in the black tank. That stuff could have been urine, or maybe previous owner cleaned with straight ammonia, or maybe previous owner was a Walter White. Who knows. I'd lean towards a Walter White-type owner if the seller didn't even bother to empty the holding tanks.

Anyway, when buying a used RV, even I'd recommend dumping the tanks before adding anything.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
2chiefsRus wrote:

Mixing bleach and ammonia is extremely dangerous, since toxic vapors will be produced.

True, but pee is not 100% ammonia. In fact it's 95% water so I don't think you have to worry about toxic gas.

In addition, your black and gray tanks are vented systems.

Plus, you'd get bleach into the gray tank via a sink which has a water trap. I suppose getting bleach into the black tank could be problematic because it would have to be added though an open toilet valve. However, just close the toilet valve right after adding the bleach.
Goggle "What happens when bleach and ammonia are mixed"! There have been several RV.Net posters in the past who had there black tank explode! The black tanks in these cases according to the posters had urine in the black tank for long periods of time. They bought there coaches from 2nd parties never RVing before and dumped bleach in the black tank! Lots of urine that has been sitting in a black tank for a long time will turn to ammonia! I've been RVing since 1976 and I've never used bleach in my black or gray tank.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Sully2 wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
old guy wrote:
hate to tell you this but bleach and urine do not mix very well.

Please explain.

For one thing too much bleach can ruin the seals in your septic lines / tank

Not true. I think this bleach "myth" got started with the Spencer Class Action Lawsuit over polybutylene (PB) plumbing used in the late 1990's - early 2000's. Apparently, even the very low levels of chlorine from water filtration plants could disintegrate PB.

However, the plumbing now used in RVs is ABS or polyethylene, neither of which is affected by bleach.

The seals in black & gray tank valves are probably Santoprene, also not affected by bleach.

The only seal that could be affected is the one used in the toilet ball valve. It's natural rubber so you wouldn't want to pour bleach in the toilet and let it sit.

So using bleach won't melt your RV plumbing or cause a World War I style mustard gas attack.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

sssooo
Explorer
Explorer
do you have a washing machine if so your trap is dry letting the odor in.

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
old guy wrote:
hate to tell you this but bleach and urine do not mix very well.

Please explain.

For one thing too much bleach can ruin the seals in your septic lines / tank
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
viajante wrote:
I have tried many products over the years. The absolute best is Happy Camper. No odors or clogs at all.

Yep, I just discovered it after a recommendation. After 3 weeks of use it has even cleaned the badly fouled tank sensors and I'm slowly getting accurate readings again. It seems (to me) that it works best if you allow the tank to get as full as possible before dumping so that it can digest all the carp from the tank walls.

Side benefit of a black tank completely odor free.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all!

rlc_19888
Explorer
Explorer
the geo method solved my problem

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
I have tried many products over the years. The absolute best is Happy Camper. No odors or clogs at all.

BobR
Explorer
Explorer
Dump your tanks every three days especially in the heat of summer. After dumping, add several gallons of water to the black tank before using. Also, I dump my tanks when in transit to prevent any build up on tank walls. We do not need to use a tank treatment due to frequency of dumping.

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Happy camper works very well in black tank. For the gray tank, add a small amount of bleach and let it fill....that should be that for some time.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
Check on the roof to make sure the vent has not been blocked by insects.
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
2chiefsRus wrote:

Mixing bleach and ammonia is extremely dangerous, since toxic vapors will be produced.

True, but pee is not 100% ammonia. In fact it's 95% water so I don't think you have to worry about toxic gas.

In addition, your black and gray tanks are vented systems.

Plus, you'd get bleach into the gray tank via a sink which has a water trap. I suppose getting bleach into the black tank could be problematic because it would have to be added though an open toilet valve. However, just close the toilet valve right after adding the bleach.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs