cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Test drives?

bellolove
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious what your experience has been with dealers and test drives? We visited a dealer this past weekend and looked at a used Class A. The dealer told us they only let you test drive if you fill out all your paperwork and agree to buy if the test drive is satisfactory. Were not just wanting to take a joy ride but I would like to feel the difference in ride in the different models. Is this common where they won't let you test drive?
38 REPLIES 38

bellolove
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the replies. Were headed to another dealer this afternoon. This one says you can schedule a test drive through their website so they sound a bit more flexible. I totally get not wanting to let anyone just browsing around run a test drive. I thought it was clear we were pretty serious since my husband was looking underneath the coach, checking tires and the salesmen commented it was apparent we'd done our research by the questions we were asking. The salesmen could not figure out how to operate the slides and he admitted he'd never driven a motorhome himself but knew we were former Class A owners. I found it a bit odd is all but since our first unit was purchased through a private party I had no idea what the dealer standard is. I really DESPISE dealers and am not looking forward to haggling with one. I'm off to search the forum for any "dealer tips" .. wish us luck.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
bellolove wrote:
Just curious what your experience has been with dealers and test drives? We visited a dealer this past weekend and looked at a used Class A. The dealer told us they only let you test drive if you fill out all your paperwork and agree to buy if the test drive is satisfactory. Were not just wanting to take a joy ride but I would like to feel the difference in ride in the different models. Is this common where they won't let you test drive?

Tell him you'll go to a customer friendly dealer. You will not be extorted.

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
Brett, I did the same thing, and then wanted to put air in the front air bags (P30). They thought I was being too picky, but I pointed out the A-frame was sitting on the jounce stop. Was shopping for/with my parents. The dealer actually drove initially, and then had me drive. Of the 3 test drives I have been on with my parents, all have done the same thing, dealer drove initially, and then I drove. The '92 FT I drove was in a 30 mph cross wind, great test, as you could not feel and effect of the wind at all. Worst problem was trying to keep it close the the speed limit. I wanted to drift high, as speed was hard to sense.
IRV2

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
OK, a couple of reality checks:

Most all coaches will handle well under ideal conditions. It is in cross winds, bad road surfaces, etc where the "men are separated from the boys". These adverse conditions are obliviously difficult to plan on a test drive. Did that with a sailboat we were considering for off shore work once-- waited until it was blowing 30+ to go for a test sail.

You likely have no idea if the coach is properly set up. Tire pressure could be off by 30 PSI or even have a flat rear tire. Couple of sales people have been very weirded out when I check tires on a coach before a test drive. But you could rule out a coach for nothing more than improper tire pressure. OR if tire pressure is well on the low side, could think it rides really well (soft ride) and it won't ride nearly as well when tires are properly inflated.

Weight distribution is very unlikely to be the same empty on a test drive as it is once you have loaded it. Particularly important for leaf spring and torsilastic suspension coaches. Add 80 gallons of water, mostly on the front axle and a rough ride all of a sudden smooths out.

Reality, much of any test drive is YOU becoming accustomed to the coach rather than a reasonable evaluation of the coach's abilities.

In all my years of RVing, I have had only one opportunity to to a qualified hands on comparison of different coaches on our short list. It was at an FMCA Convention in Redmond, Oregon. I laid out a demo route that included a narrow back road with lots of curves and uneven road surface. Drove our coach on it one afternoon (the wind blew strongly each afternoon that week). Then on successive afternoons (as close to the same conditions as we could get), we test drove the other coaches on our short list. Dianne made notes on our ride and handling comments. VERY worthwhile, but very difficult to implement.

I am NOT suggesting that you don't do a test drive-- but be aware of their limitations.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

debandi
Explorer
Explorer
We test drove our current MH for more than 10 miles with the salesman aboard. Interstate and 2 lane country roads. Could have gone further but this handled
so good.
John Spear RMCS(SW)USN RET '88
Debra is my 'nagagator'! She tells me where to go.
Enjoying our 2006 Roadtrek Adventurs RS

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
Drove 500 miles round trip to MHSRV, Alvarado near Dallas TX, just to see Berkshire 390RB. Got essentially the same story, drove home and now shopping out of state Berkshire dealer. If test drive important - stay away from MHSRV.
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

DanTheRVMan
Explorer
Explorer
Some do not want to do test drives with out an offer

Others do not mind taking a few test drives

One started yelling at me after a test drive because I wanted to sleep on it. I explained he shouldn't get difficult with me once nicely and then it went down hill.

Dealers are very different. Avoid a dealer that will not work with you.
Dan
Tiffin Phaeton
Allegro Red 36ft Sold

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our gas rig also rides much better with a load. We drove it a couple times with nothing in/on it and it was a rough ride. Felt every bump and was harder to steer.

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
In fact just the opposite. I could not believe the dealer handed me the keys to my current RV and said lets go. I had never driven a diesel pusher w/air brakes and ride in my life. I was a bit intimidated but he was very reassuring. What a gamble, and what a deal. lol This was at RV World in Yuma, Az.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

JALLEN4
Explorer
Explorer
Retail vehicle sales venues are usually filled with shiny examples that a number of people would find fun to drive. Whether they had any intention to purchase or were simply doing research would be the next question.

There are a number of million dollar super-cars I would love to take on a demo but have no intention to ever purchase. It would be a rather dumb salesman who would turn me lose in one to burn their four dollar a gallon fuel and waste their time.

Folks, dealerships are not Disneyland and don't sell all day tickets to ride. Any decent salesman is going to have a reasonable expectation that there could eventually be a sale involved before handing someone the keys. Simply putting someone in the drivers seat because they want to research the driving dynamics of several different motor homes does not always advance the purpose.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can you take it for a "weekend" test drive????Maybe to the mountains??? I'm thinking the VW commercials....:B....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Since we are kind of motorhome shopping I wonder about that also. Personally, I wouldn't buy any motor vehicle that I couldn't test drive. It would be fine if the salesman accompanied. Possibly, I would settle for letting them drive and just ride along but I doubt it.
Jayco-noslide

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most motorhomes already come with several thousand miles on them so a few test drives won't add anything to it. The only reason I can think of that a dealer would give you a hard time on taking a test drive is if they made some type of assumption that you can't afford it anyway and you are just wasting their time. What you do to them is go buy someplace else and then on your way home stop by that dealer and show them the new motorhome you bought someplace else.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
At one local dealer, I was trying to figure out if the "B" would be parkable near my work. The salesperson offered to drive there with whatever length Sprinter and verify for sure what length would work.

If they won't accept a test drive, find one that will.

bellolove
Explorer
Explorer
Msmith good to know about the weight.. I hadn't thought of that! Our last coach was a 1982 or '84.. I cannot remember ha ha. I am super curious to see the difference in ride in a newer coach.