Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thanksgiving

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Prayer and Best Wishes for you:
----
It has seemed to me fit and proper that they (our blessings) should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and voice by the whole American People. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens.
- Abraham Lincoln's Thanksgiving Proclamation October 3, 1863

----
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB
6 REPLIES 6

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
j-d wrote:
My Prayer and Best Wishes for you:
----
It has seemed to me fit and proper that they (our blessings) should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and voice by the whole American People. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens.
- Abraham Lincoln's Thanksgiving Proclamation October 3, 1863

----
And an "Amen" from me too. Thank You j-d for sharing that.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Lincoln was the first Pres. to give amnesty to a Turkey. Unofficially and all by accident since his little Boy wanted to keep the Turkey alive.
My wife an I gave amnesty to a Turkey today but we condemned the heck out of a Hog.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
And thank all those good men and women who won and who have defended this country with their lives.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
K Charles wrote:
George Washington proclaimed a National Day of Thanksgiving in 1789.
Who cares why or when, just be thankful.

AMEN Brother!

Impression I get is Lincoln wanted to lock into a specific day each year.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
George Washington proclaimed a National Day of Thanksgiving in 1789.
Who cares why or when, just be thankful.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting! How did the history books miss this one? All this time we were led to believe it was the Pilgrims surviving their first winter. Because of the time and the person who make this proclamation, it makes since that Thanksgiving was established because of the Civil War in the USA. This actually makes better sense! But, no reason why can't be thankful that both events made it through their difficult times and we are the benefactors!

Happy Thanksgiving!