cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The new DP's may run on gasoline

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
With the new EPA rules, this may be a way for diesel truck engines to meet the new pollution and fuel economy requirements. If it works on the diesel truck engines, RV engines may soon follow, like they did with the DEF. The smell of diesel may soon be a thing of the past. Gasoline fueled diesel engines
32 REPLIES 32

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
skipnchar wrote:
Diesel engines have always ran perfectly well on gasoline but gasoline didn't have the necessary lubricants found in diesel fuel. This is likely still true so SOME sort of additive would still be required.

NOT!!
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:
mccsix wrote:
Talking about diesel exhaust smell being a thing of the past. If you ever park around a DP that has the EPA compliant DEF system in it you wont smell a thing, absolutely no exhaust odor at all and only h2o dripping out of the pipe.

I always notice a very strong bleach smell.

To me the new diesels smell like pizza.
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I remember the multi-fuel diesels in the army, they smoked real bad, and did not have much power. Yea, they would run on anything, but were only useful when running diesel. I think the reason they went away, was the required up-keep.
Wildmanbaker

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
You will not see a diesel engine burning gasoline. You would burn the engine up. Who ever is putting that kind of information out does not know a thing about how diesel engines get lubricated.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
BillMFl wrote:
Well I made the mistake of putting half a tank of gas in my F350 diesel. Got back on I75 and the truck started running VERY rough. Got of onto secondary roads and drove about 100 miles home. Next morning went to my Ford dealer and they laughed and said welcome to the club. Seems lots of folks make this mistake. They drained the fuel tank and refilled with diesel and the truck ran like new. No damage. It ran rough and smelled really bad from the mixture.

I just bought a VW TDI Jetta and I just know I'm going to put gas in the tank one of these days. I filled it up just yesterday and grabbed the gas nozzle first and this is only the third time I've filled it up.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

ClassAGeek
Explorer
Explorer
I think the trend is in the other direction: We are more likely to be relying on biodiesel in 20 years than fossil fuel.
----
Happy Ford F-53 Class A Owner (2008 Gulf Stream)
2010 Ford Fusion Toad (with 6 speed manual transmission - the only way to tow)
Brake Buddy Vantage, Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar,
TST RV 507 TPMS, Power Master Voltage Controller

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
mccsix wrote:
Talking about diesel exhaust smell being a thing of the past. If you ever park around a DP that has the EPA compliant DEF system in it you wont smell a thing, absolutely no exhaust odor at all and only h2o dripping out of the pipe.

I always notice a very strong bleach smell.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect there will be more problem for the owners of DP than for the engines. Can you just hear the reply when asked what kind of MH do you have, and the reply, a GP? :B

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Is there a huge difference between the electric fuel injection used in most current gasoline engines and the mechanical injection pumps used in a diesel?
I would guess that with the new computer controlled engines that there are more similarities than there are differences.
Yes and no. It really depends on the engine. Up until very recently, a gas fuel injected engine sprayed the fuel at the top of the intake valve, which cooled the valve, heated the gas and mixed with air in preparation to go into the cylinder. Some modern gas engines have gone to direct injection, meaning fuel is sprayed directly into the cylinder. The purpose of this is so the fuel can be timed to prevent detonation. They don't put the fuel in till the last (micro)second, so the fuel does not have time to heat up and ignite prematurely. This allows for higher compression ratios, which helps efficiency. Its only the latest generation of designs that use this feature. Obviously to do direct injection requires much higher pressure and a much better injector. In contrast diesel has been direct injection with timed injectors since the 80s.

You used the word "most" when referring to gas engines. Don't think we are quite up to most using direct injection yet.
IRV2

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
msmith1199 wrote:
So if you ran gas in a regular diesel engine what would the result be? I had been told that since gas was more flammable than diesel that it could severely damage the engine. Is that not true?

I would say it is at least half true (from other posts in this thread) I do know that the energy per unit volume is different, I have heard argument as to which is more powerful.. I know of a TV show where gasoline was put in a Diesel tank and disaster followed, but that is Hollywood, not necessarily reality (Though the two stars and one other actor on the show were quite real in that they took all the training classes their Characters would have had to take (Just the two stars did not write the final or they could have done their character's job for a living,,, As for the one other.. Well what he did on the show WAS his day job.)

Kind of like the police dispatcher on Adam-12.. Yup, that was HER day job too.

But from other posts in this thread.. Running Gasoline in a Diesel engine not designed for it LONG TERM will cause damage.

Back in the old days (LIke 1960s and likely earlier) they had diesel engines that needed to be pre-heated. So they had not glo plugs, but SPARK plugs, and a carburetor and a gasoline tank (Small)

You started them on Gasoline and then switched to D once they were warmed.. I drove one.. once (A front end loader).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is there a huge difference between the electric fuel injection used in most current gasoline engines and the mechanical injection pumps used in a diesel?
I would guess that with the new computer controlled engines that there are more similarities than there are differences.

Don_Parrish
Explorer
Explorer
dbl post

Don_Parrish
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a story of gas in diesel engines:

Some years ago I provided helicopter service to an Indian Tribe that resides at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. They owned and operated equipment which had either gas or diesel engines. Every once and a while the boys would get confused over which was which and gas was used in the diesel until the engine quit running.

At that point I would fly in (expensive) a mechanic (expensive) and parts (expensive) to repair the engine. My understanding was usually the problem was no further down the line than the ejector pump. All no "lubrication in gas" business I suppose. Diesel in the gas engine wasn't much of problem since the engine would just stop running till the right fuel was used following all the purging necessary.

Unfortunate for the Tribe, this was too regular a problem however good for the flying business.

It will take more, a lot more whizbang before DP's stop at the gas pump.