cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking about moving up to a DP from 5th wheel

sarhvac1
Explorer
Explorer
Ok so the DW and I our starting to consider selling the FW and getting into a DP she doesn't feel comfortable driving the truck once we arrive at our destination so if we tow the car she can go run around without me not driving.now I know this has been ask a million times but I didn't read them all. the question we are thinking bout full timing in the next 5-6 years would most of you wait to buy or jump in now we are looking for something used.. how old,miles,make would be best with a lower budget of say under 100k I see a whole lot for sale don't really know what top of the line was say in 2003-2006 see alot Monaco?
sarhvac1
08 Forest River Georgetown
5 REPLIES 5

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Buy for what you need now. If the 5er meets your current needs keep it and use it.

In 5-6yrs, you may change your mind regarding what you want to do but that $100k special might only be worth $50k and it will be 5-6yrs older.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
I bought what I wanted, when I wanted it. I wish I could use it more now, but still, we use her as much as we can, and she is always ready to take us where we need to go. And sitting in her seasonal campsite, we camp nearly every weekend even if we go nowhere.

under 100k is going to be less than easy, depending on what you are looking for.

Our Monaco is not a high end coach, but it will suit our needs for many many years.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199, hit the nail on the head, very good advice.

In 5 or 6 yrs., you never know what will be going on then. Certainly, you can keep looking and thinking so that you will be well prepared when the time gets closer.

Good luck,
Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

sarhvac1
Explorer
Explorer
actually makes perfect sense thanks for the input msmith1199 sometimes you just need someone to reassure your thinking!!
sarhvac1
08 Forest River Georgetown

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personally, and this is just me, if I were going to go full time in 5 to 6 years, I'd wait until closer to then to buy my full time home. I'm actually sort of in that position now. I have a Class A but it's a 35 foot and not something I would want to full time in. But it's greats for trips of several weeks in duration. If I go full time it' 3 or 4 years out. So I'll keep what I have until that date gets here and then decide what I really want to full time in.

Something else to think about, if you're going to full time there are some advantages to the FW too. And depending on how far you plan to travel and how long you plan to stay at a destination, it may not be hard to bring a car along too and have both the car and the truck. For example if you plan on heading South in the Winter and north in the summer and staying in the same place all season, having the wife follow in the car twice a year for the move wouldn't be all that hard.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4