Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thor Super C (Chateau/Four Winds) improvements and mods

Sites
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks,

I purchased a 2014 Thor Chateau 33SW last August and right from the start I experienced the new RV owner blues. In short, after driving back to San Diego from where I flew out to purchase it in Texas, it spent its first 3 weeks in the shop with about a dozen issues, ranging from minor to major.

That said, aside from all of the issues, now that I've resolved most of them either through warranty or just fixing it myself after the local Thor service dealer either did a half-assed job fixing a problem, or just flat out didn't fix it after it sat in their shop for weeks, I like this motorhome. I wanted something fairly nice and that could reasonably tow 10k+ LBS, since I have a desert prerunner truck and several motorcycles to trailer out with the family. Dynamax's were nice, but out of the $$$ range I was willing to invest on a first MH. I also looked as used medium duty chassis Super C's (older Show Haulers, etc.) but anything close to $100k was too dated looking and generally VERY used. So I saw the F550 chassis based Thor 33SW and bit the bullet.

After owning it for about 7 months now, my impression is that Thor came up with a great layout and mated it to a good chassis, but as a result of both production line quality assurance issues and the general feeling that everything beneath the surface was designed to speed up build time, there are many improvements that can be made by owners to make this coach better. And frankly, should have been done at the factory before shipping off to the dealer! ๐Ÿ™‚

The reason I'm starting this thread is because I've noticed a few other Thor Super C owners on here and other forums, that have all mentioned having similar issues (house water pump leaks, front fuel tank filling issues, front hydro jacks too low from the factory, poor house battery capacity, etc.) I've also noticed a few very cool modifications and improvements by others on here as well, such as relocating the house batteries to one of the storage compartments and switching to a bank of four 6v batts. I figured it would be useful to try and centralize the communication of issues encountered, how to resolve them and suggestions to improve the coach.

I've done a few already and will post one of them shortly. Hopefully other Thor Super C (33SW, 35sk, 35sg, Etc) will chime in as well.
2014 Thor Chateau Super C (33SW)
593 REPLIES 593

RobbieH
Explorer
Explorer
Mine was $115,000 plus TT&L. In Texas, we pay 6.25% tax on vehicles, I know in some states you do not have vehicle tax. Out the door we were just under $122,000. Note mine has full paint, which if I recall is a $10,000 upgrade.

If you want a used one, mine's for sale south of Fort Worth. It is a good rig, and has had Thor's factory mechanics touch it to put things right. I have nothing to profit from it, I traded it to them.

2014 Four Winds For Sale
2005 Safari Gazelle 40PBT
2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS pulled by 2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

mbacfp30
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Wade,

The diesel generator is great. I believe Robbie shared some information on price a while back. Not sure what they are going for MSRP wise now. I believe my MSRP 155,000 or so (don't have full body paint)...I paid before tax, etc... $109,000. MSRP is not price paid...at least it is not for me.

wog099
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate the responses to my battery life question. I will not be doing a lot of boondocking, but want the capability of staying out maybe two nights without power. So I think the generator will meet my needs. (I have never had a generator with my 5th wheels). Most of the time we have power.

Can anyone tell me what I should expect to actually pay for a new 2016 or 2017 FourWinds? If you have one, what did you actually pay for it?

The only other RV I'm looking at is the Jayco Seneca. Anyone have any comments between the FourWinds and Seneca?
I want a simple, reliable motorhome to travel this great country. I want to see it, and it's just my wife and I traveling.
Thanks,
Wade

seal13il
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at the same issue, not sure yet how much dry camping we will do....but I just had new batteries replaced under warranty so I'll let it ride for now and see how it goes...

RobbieH
Explorer
Explorer
I did not have any issues using the two stock batteries for my fridge, but I did not boondock. If you are going down the road, the engine keeps the batteries charged. If you are in a campground, the shore power keeps everything running. What type of camping will you be doing that you are worried about losing power?

Also, Interstate and others make batteries that will gain you 50% reserve capacity over the factory units, if you really think you have a problem and don't want to spend the money on adding a bunch of 6v batteries:
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/m/category/rv/rv-deep-cycle

Another option is solar panels. The weight is less and the cost may be around the same.

One more thing that just crossed my mind, the RV has a generator auto-start that will kick in when your batteries get below a set voltage. The auto start is in the "mud room" area to the right of the house door. If you are boondocking, you likely will not have restrictions against a generator.

wog099
Explorer
Explorer
I am about to buy a 2017 Fourwinds SuperC 35SD. It comes with two house batteries and I have heard that they do not last long running the fridge. I have heard of people using four 6 volt batteries instead of the two 12 volt batteries.
I don't understand, do 6 volt batteries last longer than 12 volt batteries? Or should I just install two additional 12 volt batteries? The specs say the battery rack will hold 4 batteries.
Also, I saw some on this forum talking about price - what should I expect to pay for this unit new from a dealer?
Thanks,
Wade

mbacfp30
Explorer
Explorer
Hope everybody is well. My last camping trip I stayed somewhere that got real moist at night (no rain while I was there)...once I got going I had some drips of water from the handle grips (to get in and out of the truck). Could the cab be coming loose again? Anyone else have any info on that? Hope all is well.

RobbieH
Explorer
Explorer
If someone is around the D/FW area and wants a new-in-box 3Trax system for your 33SW, let me know. Thor sent me two kits when they did the upgrade. You can meet me in Garland and I'll give you the entire box. I even think I have a spare brain/computer for the system, if I didn't accidentally leave it in my trade-in.

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
Found it. Inside the outside cabinet behind the back wheels, passenger side. Looks like a low point drain, tucked into the front corner by the hinge! Exactly where dnhill said it was, I just didn't look inside the cabinet closely.
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
dnhill wrote:
Fresh water drain is on the passenger's side toward the back of the MH. It is a small valve on the outside sidewall . The hot and cold water low point drains are in the bedroom, under one of the drawers. I can just get my arm in to open and close the valves without removing the drawer.

My low point drains are under the coach, just below the floor of the bedroom by the back wheels on the driver's side. I don't have any valves on the outside walls of the coach, I'll have to do some more looking.
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

dnhill
Explorer
Explorer
Fresh water drain is on the passenger's side toward the back of the MH. It is a small valve on the outside sidewall . The hot and cold water low point drains are in the bedroom, under one of the drawers. I can just get my arm in to open and close the valves without removing the drawer.

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
Where is my FW tank drain on my 35SK? I found what might be the drain covered in a big ball of spray foam under the bed, in the middle, looking from the bottom of the coach!!
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
TV looks small ๐Ÿ™‚
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

RobbieH
Explorer
Explorer
Not too shabby for an even trade. Even with the big 400hp 1150tq C9 Cat, it doesn't get up and go like the 33SW. Everything on it is just so much heavier. Double pane windows, the door feels like it weighs 100 lbs, etc. It gets down the road, but for what it was the 33SW was a little hot rod.

mbacfp30
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice Robbie. Thanks for sharing. Excited for you. Take care.