cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tightening Motorhome Lugs

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
Does anybody have to tighten the lugs on their motorhome? I noticed today that I have several that are coming loose. My motorhome is as seen in my signature below. I am going to take it back to TCI Tires who put the new tires on last year. Since then I have run about 14,000 miles.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One
22 REPLIES 22

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
BIG torque wrench required. This is something to get RIGHT. You can skimp in many other areas of a coach, even tow a bit "heavy".... But the lugs next to the brakes may be one of the most important things.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

barlow46
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to Bret Wolfe for this link a while back. http://www.specialpatrolgroup.co.uk/spooky/torque/torque.html
2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' ISL 400; Tag Axle; Residential Refrig (sold)
2004 F450, 6.0 auto, 4:30 pumpkin; BrakeSmart; 50 gal aux.tank, 2008 Mobile Suites RE3.

Born_To_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
Here is one.. I would not buy one at Harbor Freight or one of the other cheaper tool companies.. You would be surprised how far they are off right out of the box.. Plus you do not want it to break at almost 500 ft lbs. and tear up your arm.. I have seen that happen.. http://www.sears.com/neiko-1-2-inch-drive-torque-wrench-multiplier/p-SPM5125838501?prdNo=11&blockNo=11&blockType=G11&PDP_REDIRECT=false&s_tnt=39869:4:0

GrampaR123
Explorer
Explorer
Just out of curiousity, doesn't your rig have Dicor stainless steel wheel covers? How did you discover that you had several loose lug nuts?

deadbat
Explorer
Explorer
Bob & Ann wrote:
Does anybody have to tighten the lugs on their motorhome? I noticed today that I have several that are coming loose. My motorhome is as seen in my signature below. I am going to take it back to TCI Tires who put the new tires on last year. Since then I have run about 14,000 miles.

"ALWAYS" have wheels retorqued after having new tires installed after 500 miles or so

PeoriaKen
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering about mine also. I have a torque wrench that goes to 300 ft. pounds. Anyone know where to get a torque multiplier? I figured if I had a multiplier I could check mine at 475ft. pounds before each trip.

Born_To_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
You should always tighten the wheel lug nuts with a torque wrench. If you take it to your tire shop ask them if they use a torque wrench. If they say yes ask them what they torque them to. If they do not use a torque wrench find a tire shop that does. Properly tightend wheels should never come loose..

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
The lug nuts on the W22 and W24 22.5" wheels require 475 lb. ft. torque!

Apparently TCI Tires under torqued them.

-Tom
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L