cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tire pressure - again

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I know, I know, this has been brought back more times than the living dead. My question is very simple. My tires on my 16k# coach are Goodyear g670s. I like them. The sticker inside says to run them at 83 psi. And I do. But the ride is rough. Smooth on smooth roads but hit a pothole or concrete road and the feedback will rattle your teeth. My coach is light and in talking with my dealer he says I can run as low as 75 psi to soften it up. Looking at Goodyearโ€™s rating table, there is a marginal difference in weight at the wheel between 85 and 75 PSI. Talking 300 lbs. Now I have never weighed all 4 corners and doubt I ever will. I mean a very small change in weight at a corner is so small, it might be attributed to filling up with gas or emptying the tanks, to loading the refer or a cooler. Not to mention shifted weight. Heck even a person moving around. Thatโ€™s a constant in RVโ€™s. So my question, to soften the ride, can one safely reduce the psi 5-8 ? Now I will say the gap between my duals is about 1.5โ€. It would scare me a bit to lower this too much as I know I donโ€™t want these to rub. I know Iโ€™ll get a ton of blasts about how unsafe all this is without weighing and breaking out an abacus. But I can tell you I will run different psi in my truck depending if I am hauling, going on a trip etc. Changing Psi 5-8 really does not seem to be a big deal based on road feel. I mean I have to imagine it changes that much on its own going from hot to cold climates, low to high elevations etc. Blast away.
2013 ACE 29.2
38 REPLIES 38

justlou
Explorer
Explorer
effy wrote:
Where does one go to weigh an RV?

These are a few places that have scales capable of weighing your rig. Truck stops, Gravel Quarry's, Farm Co-Ops. Our Co-Op will weigh my rig at not charge if I run it through off season. Most truck stops can only give you total and axle weight due to side rails on the ramps. Just axle weight is better than not knowing.
justlou
2006 Monaco Diplomat
2014 Honda CR-V AWD

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
A truck stop will have a scale ...google cat scale ! As was already Named .....ask before you go on the scale they can help you figure out axle weights
Bill

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
This may help - http://www.rv-dreams.com/rv-weighing-faqs.html

This too - http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/CFB/1/TID/217372.cfm

Just another web site that can help - http://www.allstays.com/c/weigh-scales-locations-map.htm

-paul

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Flanz wrote:
You may or may not like any of the answers given to you, but the real answer is to weigh your coach - all four corners and if you can weigh the whole rig and each axle. This should be done with your rig setup as if you were going on a "normal" trip. Once done, you'll have your answer. No if and's or but's about it.

You mention this "300lbs" and a "light" coach. Well, guess what, weighing your coach will confirm this. Do yourself a favor - go weigh your coach.

-paul

Where does one weigh their coach? I assure you I can afford it. Unless of course Dennis wants to start a fund to help me out. And the 300-400# variances are on Goodyears's grid. That's the difference in weight at the wheel from 75-85 psi for my tires. I didn't make that up and weighing wouldn't have told me that. Weighing will tell me where I fall, but the weight ranges are what they are.
2013 ACE 29.2

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
You may or may not like any of the answers given to you, but the real answer is to weigh your coach - all four corners and if you can weigh the whole rig and each axle. This should be done with your rig setup as if you were going on a "normal" trip. Once done, you'll have your answer. No if and's or but's about it.

You mention this "300lbs" and a "light" coach. Well, guess what, weighing your coach will confirm this. Do yourself a favor - go weigh your coach.

-paul

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
The most common CAUSE of blowouts is under inflated tires.

If you're looking for someone to agree with you to run your rig in an unsafe condition, you're not going to get it here, at least not from me. While you may never four corner your rig, (I assume you're too cheap) at least weigh it on a CAT scale and know your axle weights.

I'm wondering though, you say, "The sticker inside says to run them at 83 psi." What sticker are your referring to? I've never seen a sticker that says to run tire pressure at an oddball number.

The lower PSI on your tires will certainly soften the ride. Why not run them all at 20PSI..:h

Good luck to you, if you choose to run your tires as you've described, please make sure your insurance is up to date....just sayin....Dennis

Someone get up on the wrong side of the bed? Jeez, lighten up, it's a question. Yes my Sticker says an "oddball" number. Perhaps Thor should have consulted with you on this first, as I am certain weights and measures all come out to evenly divisible numbers. Little exaggeration and doom and gloom here huh? I am talking 3-8 psi. I am not too cheap, It's a light rig with variances of 300# per wheel between 8psi. I could get that leaning agianst it. Now go get a snickers.
2013 ACE 29.2

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
The most common CAUSE of blowouts is under inflated tires.

If you're looking for someone to agree with you to run your rig in an unsafe condition, you're not going to get it here, at least not from me. While you may never four corner your rig, (I know it's expensive) at least weigh it on a CAT scale and know your axle weights.

I'm wondering though, you say, "The sticker inside says to run them at 83 psi." What sticker are your referring to? I've never seen a sticker that says to run tire pressure at an oddball number.

The lower PSI on your tires will certainly soften the ride. Why not run them all at 20PSI..:h

Good luck to you, if you choose to run your tires as you've described, please make sure your insurance is up to date....just sayin....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Where does one go to weigh an RV?
2013 ACE 29.2

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Weigh your rig!
Then in your case go to Goodyear's website and get inflation chart for the G670 tires.
That will give you a bases for your tire pressure. I run five pounds more then the chart shows.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker