cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Pressure

mdecastra
Explorer
Explorer
I bought used, from dealer, a 2014 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS. Just weighed it as follows: Full Gas Tank, 2/3 Full Fresh Water, 1/3 ea on Grey and Black, Fully packed incl DW. Front axle weight is 6,880 lbs...Read axle weight is 19,480 lbs. Tires=Michelin R235/80 XRV @ Max single 4675 dual 4410.

1) Are my tires rated to handle my unit?
2) What PSI should I run, per axle?

It appears my front is under weight and rear is over weight. Can I run rear ties lower PSI that rear.

I also have a TPMS 507RV/SG which I can program different tires for different pressure and temp.
22 REPLIES 22

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
Your 32VS has a front GAWR of 8,000 lb
Rear GAWR is 15,000 lb.

So put it on a diet on the rear.
The tires on it now can only handle 8,820 lb of the 9,740 lb on each rear side duels. Even with the max PSI setting on the tires.

And MH usually don't have even weight on both rear sides. So one side could be over 10,000 lb
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you sure the 19480 is not your total weight? What are the DOT date codes on the sidewalls of your tires... How old are they?
Easy one first... you can run 75 psi in your front tires.
Assuming your rear axle weight is correct, then you are 1800 lbs over weight on your rear axle and doubt it's a 20K rated axle so no your tires are not rated for that much weigh and probably your rear axle too... which gets me back to 19480 is your total weight.
ASSUMING your rear axle weight is 12,600 you need to run 75 in the rear tires too. If they are more than five years old I would replace all of them. If more than 3 years old I'd put two new on the front as you do not know how well they were taken care of. Save one of the front takeoffs and carry it as a unmounted spare.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your rear axle weight is correct, you're over 26,000lb on a 22,000lb chassis. Are you carrying a smart car in a rear storage bin? Think you need to re-weigh to confirm then start to drive with empty tanks and maybe leave DW at home LOL.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
I would question the validity of the rear axle weight.

My 40 foot American Eagle (DP engine in the rear) has a rear axle weight of 18080 with full fuel, full propane and empty grey and black tanks. Tire size is 275/70/22.5 with the rear axle rated at 19000 pounds.

Just seems way to heavy for a 32 foot gas powered coach with the engine up front.
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sometimes you can add a higher rated tire say from "F" to "G" rated tires which will handle a higher load, if the tire pressure is increased.
One thing to be careful about is the pressure rating on your steel wheels. It does no good, and it can be dangerous, if you exceed the maximum pressure rating of your wheels, in spite of what your tire rating is.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Just Google "Michelin RV Tire Guide"

It will give you recommended MINIMUM pressures for given weights.

Since you have only axle (vs individual wheel position) weights, suggest you add 5 PSI for left/right imbalance.

And another 5 PSI to that minimum to account for different loading (for example, when low on fuel (tank behind rear axle) the front axle will have more weight on it.

And, the more weight you can move forward, the better the handling and ride! Ideally, each axle will be loaded to the same percent of GAWR.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
You are overweight on your rear tires. The question is are the tires under rated for the chassis or are you exceeding the weight limits of the chassis?
What's your GRAW rating on your door sticker? With those tires it should be around 16,000 or 17,000. If it is then your exceeding the weight rating of the whole rear axle, not just the tires.
I don't know what that axle is really rated for by it's manufacturer. It may be that the GRAW is based on the tires they installed on the motor home. You could install higher rated tires and be fine, or maybe not, depending on the actual weight carrying abilities of the axle assembly.

Olympian_retire
Explorer
Explorer
what does your door panel say about air pressure and weight limits on your tires.