Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

to buy a diesel

tdgulfstream
Explorer
Explorer
so, i'm thinking about buying a diesel pusher, 1998 to maybe 2003,
those years might be in my price range, $38,000 or less. My question
is about the motor and tranny ONLY. What should I look for while looking at one. The rear radiator type, look for debris in fins,
how can you tell if it's in good enough shape? I know look for leaks
or signs of oil stains, but i'm not familiar with diesels, how would I know if tranny is slipping or not shifting correctly? what if a motor has new gaskets or seals, is that a sign of future problems
I know people say the motors will last 400,000 miles or so, but
maintenance is critical, any ideas? THANKS
6 REPLIES 6

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, I would suggest that the older and lower the price the MORE you need an inspection.

A couple of hundred dollars to keep you from buying a real money pit or at least letting you know what needs to be done is money very well invested.

Same, whether RV, boat, home.... If you are not an expert, hire one. That is sure what we do.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are over $30,000, a $200 inspection is well worth it.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Let's not turn this into a "Ford vs Chevy" discussion.

I am not aware of any BAD engines in the time frame/price range the OP mentioned.

Sure, some coaches with better HP/weight ratios, side vs rear radiator, etc...
Brett Wolfe

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
3126E Cat 3000 Allison. Bullet proof!
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is where I would start looking. They have one for under $15,000.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/diesel/diesel-motorhomes.php
If you are not familiar you should hire a inspector to check it out before you buy. Most diesel pushers will have the Allison transmission. They are about bullet proof. If they have maintenance records that is a + but if not you will want to check and do all your annual maintenance so you have a starting point.
One big thing to check is the date code on the tires
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
The good news is that unless totally abused the Allison 3000 and 4000 6 speed transmissions are close to bombproof.

Same for diesel engines during that time period. Sure, if run out of oil or WAY overheated, they can die prematurely.

And, yes a clogged CAC (Charge Air Cooler) which is immediately behind the fan on rear radiator coaches would suggest that it has not been maintained as it should and MAY have been overheated.

If you are novice at this, make any contract "Contingent upon inspection satisfactory to buyer". Hire an independent inspector who is both familiar with chassis and RV house systems. Yes, if you already know the RV house systems and can check them yourself, then the chassis part is all you need. Let's face it, you could replace every appliance in a motorhome and have money left over for the price of an engine, so the chassis/drivetrain is what you want closely inspected.

Is a good inspection a guarantee that there will be no problems-- I think all of us know that isn't true. But, it goes a long way, and if issues are found during an inspection, opens the door to renegotiate the price or if an inspection reveals excessive issues, to move on to the next coach.
Brett Wolfe