cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toad 4 down or car on trailer? Need advice

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
I am lurking at taking a toad on my next trip, I have a scooter but it is not allways the best way to go around. I am looking at a Suzuki X90 automatique and from what I have read I can pull it 4 down or I could use a trailer, full 4 wheel trailer with the car drived on.

I like the idea of a trailer because it seems much easier to back it if I have to, without disconnecting.

What are the incovenient / advantage of both tow system?
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.
20 REPLIES 20

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We have been towing 4 down in 3 coaches with three different tow'ds for well over 150,000 miles. We have had to disconnect the tow'd a few times when I got too aggressive and found myself in a position requiring a k turn to exit. Please note DW has NEVER got us into that position when she is at the wheel.

As for tracking, with our gasser which had a long rear overhang, you could see the tow'd steer wheels turning counter to the steer wheels of the coach in a really tight turn. For example in a full lock right turn the tow'd would first go LEFT and then turn right to follow the coach. The front of the tow'd thus stays in the track of the back end of the coach not the rear tires. On the DP the overhang is less and the swing is thus much less.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Even a much long vehicle will track within/behind the MH. No you do not have to make wider turns.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
I see the point for the trailer, you still have to disconnect pretty well everywhere you will setup camp unless you have a pull through or if you overnight in a truck stop. I also see myself taking the dirty ramp out, nasty job. I disconnecting is just a pin and wires?

As for turning radius, does towing with the toad 4 down is as easy as without a toad? Does if follow around or do you have to give more space around a corner for example?
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

aerbus32
Explorer II
Explorer II
I totally agree with DSDP Don (beautiful coach you have there incidentally!). But let me expand abit. With our 37' gasser, towed weight is a big issue. Our CR-V is well within the ratings of our coach. Adding the weight of a trailer would just get us closer to the limit. Remember, it is a good idea not to exceed 80% of the tow capacity of your coach. Likewise, the only issue I have with towing 4 down is backing up. I will never risk it. Only once in over a decade of towing dinghy's did I get into a situation where I had to unhook. And that was in a situation where a delivery truck had blocked a street that was very hidden from view. Plan 2 steps ahead and you should be fine. For instance, in an area I've never been, after the coach is set up, we exercise the Honda by checking out where we are going to gas up the next day. I hook the car onto the coach the next morning after I gas up if the station will require that.
Glad to see someone else unhooks while the wifey is paying for the site. Thinking 2 steps ahead!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
In our 10 years of full-timing with the motorhome we never found it necessary to back up with the Jeep attached.

If you are looking for boondocking spots in a national forest, etc., we always unhooked the Jeep and scouted out for a suitable site. We never just drove the motorhome aimlessly on gravel roads.

Fuel stations? We carefully eyeballed the exits from the pumps before pulling up to them. Also, we usually used the truck stops.

RV parks? We rarely used them but when we did, one of us went in to pay while the other was unhooking the Jeep. It only takes a few minutes. Or if there was a wide area next to the office as usually is the case, we just pulled over and unhooked. It's no big deal. Everyone does it. We didn't specify a pull-through because we find them with less site space. We liked back-ins.

Going 4-down is the easiest way to tow.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I can't say I've done both, I've only towed four down, but I think I can give a view on what I see as the pros and cons. Towing 4 down requires a car that is capable being towed, adding base plate equipment, lighting, brakes and tow bar (between $1000. - $2000 for equipment). It can't be backed up (some will for a few feet in an emergency) without disconnecting. Once the above has been purchased, connecting and disconnecting a towed can be done in just a few minutes. Typically, when we arrive at a campground, my wife checks in while I disconnect the towed in the registration lane. By the time she's registered, we're ready to head to our sight.

We travel all over the southwest and I rarely see RVer's towing cars on trailers. When I do, it's often something that they don't want on the ground, like an older hot rod. I'm guessing you probably could buy a good used trailer for about the same price as the tow equipment for four down towing. You can also backup a trailer without any issues. Those are the pros, but I see many more cons that are hard to overcome. Both when camping and at home, you have to have a place to store the trailer. I know many will say that they just get pull thru sites, but that really limits you as to where you can camp.

When arriving at a campground, without a pull through spot, you'll need a place where you can off load the car, while the trailer is still attached to the RV and then figure out where you can park the trailer if it won't fit in the site (typically won't because you also have a car to park). Lastly, it's just more work, not only do you have to attach the trailer to the coach, along with chains and wiring, like a tow bar, but now you have manipulate heavy ramps to load the car and crawl around the trailer and strap the car down.

I see that you're driving a short coach and intend on towing/trailering a small car. I would just tow it four down. You won't be that long and will easily be able to negotiate fuel stops. We're a 40' coach towing a Chevrolet Silverado 4 door, with an overall length of 65'. I rarely use the big truck stops for fuel because their prices are so much higher. In this day and age, there are very few gas stations we can't get into.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab