cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

toad is dead

Burwoods
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the middle of vacation and the vehicle we tow...dead. seems buying something else better then new engine. Want to tow four down with little to no modifications. Suggestions please. We had a standard tracker 4x4. An automatic would be nice but not necessary.

Thanks signed bummed at campground
Bob and Sally
1999 Rexhall Aerbus 36'
Towing 2002 Tracker
46 REPLIES 46

WILDEBILL
Explorer
Explorer
CR-V CR-V CR-V Did I mention I like my 2014 CR-V all wheel drive Don't know it's back there and is getting 30+ mpg. Had dealer do the install on the baseplate (Blue Ox) and lights as part of the deal.
Bill

et2
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
John Wayne wrote:
Jeep 4X4 can't flat tow a 2 wheel drive Jeep needs to be 4X4

Not just 4x4 but 4x4 WITH MANUAL TRANSFER CASE

their new all wheel drive with electronic transfer and clutches can not be towed 4 down. 2 down, or any other way, Must be trailered or flat-bedded.. Source: Jeep 2014 Liberty owner's manual.

Our 2014 Jeep Cherokee with all that stuff and all wheel drive does great as a toad.

They have specific transmission you need to get. The Active Drive II is the one on ours - just put in neutral push the little button and it disconnects the drive train.

I also know the Jeep Grand Cherokee is quite capable with the correct transmission as well. Most of the 4wd drive jeeps are capable are capable of flat tow - except the Patriot I believe.

pierandpatti
Explorer
Explorer
YES! 2015 HONDA FIT - MANUAL TRANSMISSION IS TOWABLE. Page 308 of the 2015 Honda Fit Owner's Manual specifically states how to tow the 2015 MANUAL TRANSMISSION Honda Fit behind a motorhome. See http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/AH/A5A1515OM/enu/5A1515OM.pdf#page=309

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the Ford Edge. Just run 5 minutes and go. towed mine over 25,000 miles. on problems.
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

Tree_House
Explorer
Explorer
Are you looking for new or used. Seems like fewer and fewer new automatics can be towed 4 down.

We got the new 2014 Jeep Cherokee. With 4WD and the Active Drive II option, it can be towed four down.

Only need to put the transfer case in neutral, then the transmission in park, and remove the key so is very quick to do. No battery issues, no limitation on speed or need to run engine every 6 hours, etc.

The dry weight is about 4300 lbs.

We have the Limited. There is also a Trailhawk with a 4wd Lo for heavy duty off roading. It is a very nice car to drive.

Susan

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of my friends replaced his Tracker (after rolling it and having it totalled) with a used HHR. It met similar size and transportation needs, except for off-roading, and he had not been doing that with the Tracker anyway.

There are a lot of older small towable vehicles with automatics, including most of the GM compacts (HHR, Colbalt, Cavalier, G6, etc) but they might be a bit heavier than your Tracker, depending on which Tracker you had.

I'm towing a Honda Fit, base model about 2500# with manual transmission, but the automatic is also towable, or will be until they start coming with the CVT instead of the 5-speed auto.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Burwoods
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
For what it is worth.....We bought a toad while on a trip in Albuquerque, NM. It had very slight hail damage and we got it from Enterprise rental. It had around 8000 miles, still had full factory warranty, and we paid less than 1/3 MSRP, out the door. We sold our previous toad to a car lot in Albuquerque. While there, we found a place to install a tow bracket and we were on the road in four days. To us, this is a vehicle towed behind our coach and it is subject to all kinds of road debris. A few minor hail dents, that most people don't see unless I point them out, does not bother us at all.
The point is that when a hail storm moves through an area, most rental cars will be put on the market at greatly reduced prices. The larger rental companies, like Enterprise, self insure, so to them it is easier, and cheaper to just dump a damaged vehicle. Mine came with a clean title and no mention of hail damage on a CarFax. If you do not mind some slight hail damage, there are some real bargains out there. Now, 35,000 miles later(on the odometer which doesn't include the towed mileage), the car is doing fine and we may be looking for a replacement again. We'll keep an eye on the weather. :B

Interesting option.
Bob and Sally
1999 Rexhall Aerbus 36'
Towing 2002 Tracker

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Burwoods wrote:
. . . . .

We did as you posted, we rented a vehicle while there, and enjoyed our vacation. We had the tracker towed to husbands work and we will go from there. Second vehicle at home, so no big rush now. Going to research all the vehicles that were suggested and have our mechanic look at Tracker and give us recommendation, not to mention cost. We want to keep the Tracker as our tow vehicle if possible.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

We sold our Tracker three years ago and bought a nice shiny new Wrangler 4 door. It was stolen :M DW bought a new 2014 2 door Jeep Wrangler to replace it.

I wish we still had the Tracker! (Though DW loves her Jeep) As you probably know, the Tracker is a great little toad. IF you trust you mechanic, go with his suggestion. Keeping the Tracker may be worth it even if you have to spend more than you could get out of it if you have to sell it soon for some reason.

I miss my little red Tracker. 😞 But DW is happy--that's the main thing!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
For what it is worth.....We bought a toad while on a trip in Albuquerque, NM. It had very slight hail damage and we got it from Enterprise rental. It had around 8000 miles, still had full factory warranty, and we paid less than 1/3 MSRP, out the door. We sold our previous toad to a car lot in Albuquerque. While there, we found a place to install a tow bracket and we were on the road in four days. To us, this is a vehicle towed behind our coach and it is subject to all kinds of road debris. A few minor hail dents, that most people don't see unless I point them out, does not bother us at all.
The point is that when a hail storm moves through an area, most rental cars will be put on the market at greatly reduced prices. The larger rental companies, like Enterprise, self insure, so to them it is easier, and cheaper to just dump a damaged vehicle. Mine came with a clean title and no mention of hail damage on a CarFax. If you do not mind some slight hail damage, there are some real bargains out there. Now, 35,000 miles later(on the odometer which doesn't include the towed mileage), the car is doing fine and we may be looking for a replacement again. We'll keep an eye on the weather. :B

Burwoods
Explorer
Explorer
Daveinet wrote:
I have a suggestion. Do not buy a toad right now. Rent a car for the rest of your vacation and then tow your toad home. Do not put yourself in a situation where you are forced to make a decision on the road with little time to shop. You can probably find better deals in your home town, rather than being forced into something that may not be the best choice. Rent a car and enjoy the rest of your vacation.

We did as you posted, we rented a vehicle while there, and enjoyed our vacation. We had the tracker towed to husbands work and we will go from there. Second vehicle at home, so no big rush now. Going to research all the vehicles that were suggested and have our mechanic look at Tracker and give us recommendation, not to mention cost. We want to keep the Tracker as our tow vehicle if possible.

Thanks everyone for the responses.
Bob and Sally
1999 Rexhall Aerbus 36'
Towing 2002 Tracker

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
I've just started to tow a 2013 Edge SE AWD this year after using a Honda CRV for a couple of years. No fuss towing, same as CRV, run the engine 5 minutes, basically go through the gears according to owners manual and then in neutral, turn off and tow.

We really like the extra room in the Edge and the driving/handling compared to the Honda.The base plate was available from Amazon.ca for the same price as in the US with free delivery (this was in May).

I also have a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid that can be towed four down and may put a tow plate on it next year. Great gas mileage currently get 60-65 MPG (imperial gallon).

Chris
2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System
Retired Canadian Army WO (1971-2000)

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
I have a suggestion. Do not buy a toad right now. Rent a car for the rest of your vacation and then tow your toad home. Do not put yourself in a situation where you are forced to make a decision on the road with little time to shop. You can probably find better deals in your home town, rather than being forced into something that may not be the best choice. Rent a car and enjoy the rest of your vacation.
IRV2

retiredtraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2012 Chevy Malibu. Rather than pulling the fuse every time my mechanic installed a toggle switch under the dash. Flip switch, put in neutral and go.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
My "toad" experience:

1996 Ford Contour, 5 spd stick. No mods. Leave key in switch, put in neutral and go. Replaced in 2007 with:

2007 Chevy HHR automatic: leave key in switch, pull 2 amp fuse put in neutral and go.

2011 Ford Ranger 4WD auto: leave key in switch, put in neutral and go::::AFTER you guy a Ford only "Transfer Case Neutral Switch Kit" for 400 bucks installed.

All the above are towed 4 down. Never had a problem with any of them. So far.

I use the same BlueOx baseplate, so my towbar (Roadmaster Falcon) needs no changes.

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
+1 for the Jeep Wrangler (2 door) or Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 door) - probably the #1 towed vehicle, jeep even offers a wiring "harness" (plugs in, behind the glove box, no splicing) so that you can connect the coach to the jeep w/out any additional wiring....no need to leave the key in the ignition or turned on (to prevent the steering wheel from locking).

Using the factory harness Im able to connect our Wrangler in less about 60 seconds....2 pins, 2 chains, 1 plug, put the 4x4 transfer case in neutral, confirm the parking brake is off & GO !
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)