cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toad is getting abused

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new Newmar Baystar which is towing our little (wife's) Fiat. Poor thing is getting beat by rocks,dirt,mud, grime etc. I am looking for a Rock Shield or something that will go under the rear portion of the motorhome and somewhat protect the little toad.

Would like a Newmar product if available but any thing would be better than nothing.

Any suggestions???
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif
37 REPLIES 37

TANDDANDBIGE
Explorer
Explorer
Protect-a-tow works well for our Ford Edge. And as mentioned, the $$ isn't going to break the bank.
2002 HR ENDEAVOR 40'
2007 FORD EDGE TOAD

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure the rear mud flaps are properly placed behind the rear tires .. I don't believe your coach comes with a full rear mud flap .. but if it does make sure it's up high enough.. 6" they act as a suction device and at speed suck up the rocks and throw them at the toad. Their sole purpose appears to be looks ( they do look good) and advertising the coach on the Chrome strip.
What I've seen that does work well is something like "protect a tow " it's a horizontal net that covers the area between the coach and the toad with a bungie set up that allows turning. It keeps rocks from flying up into the car.
Bill

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
I have used one of these for a few years now. It is easy to keep stowed on the rear of the MH when not used.
Protect-A-tow

Price is not bad either,compared to other protectors.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

WayneLee
Explorer
Explorer
Roadmaster offers what they call the "Alaska Pack" which is actually two different systems (see link). Personally, I have used the Guardian rock shield for many years now.

Alaska Pack

Wayne Lee
Out West Somewhere

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 3050DS Class C | Hummer H3 dinghy

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mandalay Parr wrote:
Mine doesn't get beat up but I also removed the full width 'mud flap' off my motorhome.
I ended up cutting off 4 ins from my rear mud flap which was throwing up rocks on the towed as it dragged along dirt roads. When I went to Alaska and drove on a lot of dirt roads I made a protector like a Protect a toad from old trampoline material. It worked good but I did not like to remove and install it every time I wanted to use the tow car. Preventing the mud flap from dragging turned out to be the best overall solution for me.

Ernest
Explorer
Explorer
Try These guys.
Coastline MFG CO
web Site coastlinervandoffroad.com
Ph:909-484-6592

They made a full bra/cover for our Jeep when we went to Alaska. The cover is bullet proof and covers the windshield also.
Ernest & Joanne
2000 Tradewinds 300 CAT
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Travelingonthetradewinds.blogspot.com 2014 Alaska Blog
Travelingonthetradewinds1.blogspot.com 2017 South West Blog

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to pull my OFF-ROAD JEEP with my truck alot back in the day and you could find what they called Body Armour from the JEEP Catalogs that were magnetic and would cover all of the affected areas great.

Of course most of all the JEEPS are of the same body design so these things can made to fit all - The cars pulled behind the motorhomes are all different I guess...

Surely there is something like that out now for cars...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Mine doesn't get beat up but I also removed the full width 'mud flap' off my motorhome.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter