Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2019 tow dolly hydraulic brakes
13 REPLIES 13

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I thought it was an interesting thread and I especially liked the pictures so I could compare them to my LR topper. I had no idea (or I just never noticed) that slide toppers could billow out while driving in winds...and I've done that sort of driving numerous times in the desert in just the last few months. Never considering the slide toppers as a potential issue.

So now I'm on a quest to find out whether or not my long slide topper is susceptible to that sort of problem. I'm not even sure what the brand typically used on a '02 Winnie Journey was/is.

SeHunter: Sorry you felt the need to remove your post and all those great pictures, I found them useful. Even though I'd have probably followed the recommendations of other posters, your info was still helpful to read. Thanks!
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
rhagfo wrote:
sehunter wrote:
Dutch I can't believe I am having this conversation with you. That is not a solid roller for the awning there is a spring inside that will release the material with a strong enough side wind with the arm not going past the stop.

I with Duch, first the anti billow device should be installed at the front of the topper, and if a long topper it should have two.

You solution is an accident waiting to happen!

SE, your thought on how the slide topper spring and anti billow functions is wrong. With the Dometic Anti Bilow device operating correctly, the fabric and tube CANNOT unfurl no matter what type of wind. Your design will also keep it from unfurling, but the problem as I stated is, you forget to release your type and damage can happen. Don't get upset because you had a problem and fixed it by yourself and then others showed a better way and a OEM way. Repost you pic, maybe someone will want to do what you did. Doug

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
sehunter wrote:
Sorry.

And I'm sorry you felt the need to delete your posts. Your device may not have been as useful on a topper as you initially thought, but it sure could have been adapted to a full manual awning that isn't typically equipped with any anti-billowing device except the inherently weak OEM cam lock.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

GREGORYJ
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a typical anti billowing arm. I've had one break off and had to replace it. If set right, it should point up when slide out is in.
Ellen & Greg
08 National Dolphin DL-35Ci, Kelderman Air Ride, Rear Trac Bar
Workhorse W22, RoadMaster Rear Sway Bar, Towing 08 Smart Car

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
sehunter wrote:
Dutch I can't believe I am having this conversation with you. That is not a solid roller for the awning there is a spring inside that will release the material with a strong enough side wind with the arm not going past the stop.

I with Duch, first the anti billow device should be installed at the front of the topper, and if a long topper it should have two.

You solution is an accident waiting to happen!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

sehunter
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch
Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the arm is not stopping it from billowing, it's not installed or adjusted properly. The arm should not be able to slip past the wall bracket.
Dutch

sehunter
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch
Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
While your lock is good, the problem remains---You FORGET to unlock you will destroy either the awning or the slide flange. ALL Dometic Slide covers come with the AUTOMATIC auto lock kit, either Black or White. I guess yours either broke off or was never installed. Doug

https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-3109252-001B-Polar-Anti-Billow-Hardware/dp/B002UBZKA2

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dometic/A&E makes an anti-billow arm and bracket that attach to the sidewall and awning roller that requires no operator intervention. It's a simple device that stops the awning from unfurling more than a few inches while underway. They've been equipping toppers with them for years.
Dutch

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info: Locking device...

Another question...did you try tightening the spring?
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
So does that mean you have to exit the RV and unlatch it on the drivers side so you can extend the slide?

And where did you get that nice chrome locking device? What's it called or is there a part number you can provide?
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good solution. Might not work on all toppers but it looks like it works fine on yours.