cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

towing advice

Johnluke003
Explorer
Explorer
Now that I am all in for the NASCAR bucket list excursion, I am thinking about towing a Chrysler Sebring 2004 model, front wheel drive. A tow dolly seems to be the best way to go. Any comments? Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Johnluke003 wrote:
thanks for the reply. Different topic/question: What about personal safety, especially when parked at night in other than campgrounds. Don't carry weapons but......I have not seen a post on this subject which to me assumes the problem is not chronic. I will be travelling solo for the most part.

We've camped in almost all states along the east coast and I've never been concerned for my safety or my family's safety. Personally, I'd be more concerned with safety at a NASCAR event than at a campground or say a Walmart. We've also spent the night in Walmart's in all states from GA to MD except VA. Never felt threaten. People like to mess with you sometimes, honking a horn as they drive by in a Walmart parking lot or something like that. Most Walmarts in high traffic areas have security at night.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even if tow dolly brakes aren't required, you ought to have them. It's not like a motorhome alone is great at stopping on a dime, and adding a few tons more weight and momentum doesn't help that any. Many tow dollies come with surge brakes, I believe, and that's about as simple and carefree as you can get.

Insurance you'd probably be best talking to your insurance agent about (and/or read all the fine print on your policy). In many states (I think most, perhaps all), a tow dolly with a car on it does not need to be registered/tagged; the car registration suffices. You only need to worry about the laws in your home state with regards to licensing and registration; other states reciprocate. That isn't true for all other vehicle laws, such as equipment requirements (trailer/dolly brakes) or insurance requirements.

Personal safety, as in most cases, is to a large extent a matter of being alert and avoiding stupidity. If a place doesn't seem safe, stop or move elsewhere. Avoid looking too enticingโ€”don't have valuables on display and so forth. Check to see who's knocking before throwing the door open. In short, exercise common sense.

Johnluke003
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the reply. Different topic/question: What about personal safety, especially when parked at night in other than campgrounds. Don't carry weapons but......I have not seen a post on this subject which to me assumes the problem is not chronic. I will be travelling solo for the most part.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Johnluke003 wrote:
Are tow dolly brakes required?

I'm pretty sure in every state you will be driving, brakes will be required on the tow dolly.

Johnluke003 wrote:
What happens when I pull into a camp ground....does the dolly have to be unhooked if I am just staying for one night?

If you can find campgrounds with pull through sites then you won't need to unhook the dolly and car. However, if you can't find a campground with pull through sites, then you will have to unhook. You cannot backup a motorhome that is towing 4 flat or on a dolly. I should rephrase that, you can't backup without breaking something on the car.

Most KOA kampgrounds have pull through sites, but you usually pay more to stay at a KOA. If you don't need a campground, you can stay at truck stops, Wal-marts (if they allow it) and other big box stores that allow overnight parking. Not all states allow overnight parking on interstate rest stops.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Johnluke003
Explorer
Explorer
As I get ready to embark on my bucket list NASCAR tour, several questions pop up. I plan to tow my Chrysler Sebring behind my newly purchased Class C Sunseeker on a tow dolly.... Are tow dolly brakes required? What are insurance requirements? Any enroute advice to consider? What happens when I pull into a camp ground....does the dolly have to be unhooked if I am just staying for one night? Being a newbie, I have lots of questions unfortunately with few answers. But I hope to learn and be able to reciprocate soon. Also, heading to Atlanta race after Daytona----what are best options for staying 3-4 days? Thanks again.

HockeyTownMom
Explorer
Explorer
New for 2015's Sunseekers - at least my model.
Kristina, Jesse and our 5 kids
2015 Sunseeker 3170ds

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
With a 7500 hitch weight, you should be fine. First Class C I've seen with a 7500 hitch weight. Great news.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

HockeyTownMom
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at a Kar Kaddy to tow my Honda Odyssey (4526 GCW). My class C hitch rating is 7500lbs, Kar Kaddy 3 is rated for 4700lbs with a tongue weight of 100lbs.

Sorry, I typed it all here for easy reference for myself. ;-). Learn your numbers and see what works.
Kristina, Jesse and our 5 kids
2015 Sunseeker 3170ds

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, if this is a one shot deal, a dolly seems the way to go. However, you really need to know what your Class C's tow limit is. Many are only 3500 lbs and a Sebring/dolly will be much more than that. Most other Class C's are rated for 5000 lbs. Only Class C rated above that is a Super C.

good luck

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....