cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing enclosed trailer

gofast73
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at getting into full time rving. I'm a ways out from my dream but putting a plan together to do it right the first time. I'm looking at buying a Class A motor home and want a enclosed trailer to put my car, motorcycle and bicycles in. Is this a good ideal or not good to do? Will most camping grounds be able to accommodate my enclosed trailer? The motorhomes I'm wanting can pull 10,000 lbs per manufactur specs. I'm looking at a used Tiffin Allegro Bus or Pheatom or another Class A with towing power. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
24 REPLIES 24

gofast73
Explorer
Explorer
Before I decide I'll check the laws out I sure don't want that issue. I just need a trailer big enough to haul my car and bike I's all. Ty for the advice.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many states have a 65' max length and while many get away with being way over, it will not be a good day when the DOT makes you unhook the trailer and hopefully the DW can pull it with your car.

Photo of Fire UP's solution.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

gofast73
Explorer
Explorer
Great advice. I'm looking at buying used Class A will have it checked out of course before buying. I'm about 2 years away from jumping aboard on this as I'm paying all my debt down and off each month. I'm planning on buying a $40-75000 MH to start out with. My wife and I love motorcycle riding and it's the only reason why I want the enclosed trailer for but maybe I can find another way to haul my Harley. A 38-42' Class A is my dream. I've been wanting to do this for a while now. As far as taking a bunch of stuff with us I've already told my wife we'd have to sell 95% of our stuff or give it to family members that need it and go from there. I'm in the process of selling my stuff now to downsize as I go through stuff. Ty all for the information it gives me stuff to think about.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have towed a trailer for 40+ years behind everything from a 30ft class C to a 45ft Monaco Dynasty which had a total length of 78ft. Never really ever had a problem and last year went from here to Cal and back and stopped in some really nice camp grounds (resorts) and never once had any issues.....the only thing I suggest is know how to operate it at the length you have and if not comfortable don't do it.

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
I am 35 feet and tow a trailer that is 25 feet ball to bumper, so with the hitch I am 61 feet. I would only go to a camp site that I had spoken with the operator and reserved a specific site. I've never actually taken that rig into a camp site, now that I think about it. I've always over-nighted in truck stops, and my destination has always been a race track where I am far from the largest rig. I've seen people with trailers in camp sites, mind you, and frankly they always looked pretty stressed about it. State parks usually won't let you in, but sometimes will let you drop a trailer in a parking lot for storage.

Brian
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 45' motorhome and own a trailer that is 30' overall and has a 26' box. I have used it to haul a car and 2 motorcycles. I have taken it around the country. I don't use it to haul stuff anymore because it was too much of a pain. It wasn't so bad in the midwest and west. I found sites to be larger there and fewer trees. It was worst in the northeast and mid atlantic. If the site was long enough a tree was in the way.

If I had to do it over again I'd first eliminate my extended tongue and also about 2' from the box. This would shorten the trailer by about 3.5'.

We have lots of friends that very successfully use large trailers. But generally they are going from up north in the summer to down south in the winter with stops in rest areas on the way down and back. The problem comes when you want to go other places with it.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
What you are trying to do is more the rule than the exception..... but the fact of the matter is most do not get it right the first time.

That said when we dove back into the RV thing back in 99' we tried to take it all with us and our personal adjustment was we really did not need nearly as much stuff.

The facts are that unless you go to the really big RV Parks you will find the trailer to be a PAIN....... if your idea is to find a spot and plant yourself then it might work but the run of the mill RV park is just not going to be able to handle the trailer.

Long and short........... find your self a good used rig, comfortable bed and decent shower/bath room, try the lifestyle and then see if you can get it right.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Many campgrounds have sites that are 80' in length and can accommodate a very large rig/trailer combo. BUT, there are many that won't allow trailers to remain hooked up on the sites and have a dedicated trailer parking area, or won't allow motorcycles on the campsites, or other such restrictions. Always best to check out all the rules BEFORE you get there.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone thinks they will do it right the first time. It is very rare. Once you get into this hobby/lifestyle you will always find something else that you really want or need. Good Luck.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Move to class. A forum
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar