cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

towing

flutesinger
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone tow a truck with a fleetwood excursion? if so How and with what kind of tow bar or trailer? Would it be safer to tow on a car hauler? I also would like to carry my RZR on the truck.
11 REPLIES 11

flutesinger
Explorer
Explorer
ThANKS Bill and the rest of you for the information. I am leaning toward the four wheel down tow ready brake. Will hav eot travel a ways to get it installed but I believe it will be worth it.
Thank you again,
BP

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
The only other reasonable option would be to forget the truck and tow a FWD car on a Tandem Tow dolly
Its probably the most expensive option, but still a solid option.

Just wanted to make you aware of the option, even though it is not what I would do.
IRV2

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think I would buy the tow bar and braking system and then put the RZR and kayak in the truck. I've towed a lot of trailers, but I wouldn't be too thrilled with the idea of the truck and RZR both on top of the trailer behind the MH. This assumes your truck can be towed four flat.

The advantage of putting everything on the trailer is you can buy and then have the trailer for probably the same cost as getting the truck ready to tow. And if you want to trade in the Dodge for a Ford or Chevy, (I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist that one) then you aren't going through the hassel outfitting another truck. I imagine the truck at about 5,500#, the RZR about 1,200#, the trailer about 2,000# and then throw in all of the other little stuff like the kayak, RZR fuel, fire wood, etc. and that puts you at at 9,000#.

If you have the RZR in the truck and the truck on a trailer, that's gong to be a PITA when you want to get the RZR out for a spin without unloading the truck also.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

flutesinger
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the answer. I will research Ready brake, which I have never heard of. My vehicle weighs 6800 lbs and with everything else it looks like about 7300 total.
Thanks for the help.

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
How much total weight? ReadyBrute is good for 8000 lbs, and you can't beat the price or the simplicity. Fully proportional braking. Lost of happy users here including myself.
IRV2

flutesinger
Explorer
Explorer
I think I haven't been too clear:( sorry. I have a Dodge Ram 1500 Big horn 4x4 . I will put the rzr in the bed of the truck with my kayak also in the truck and either use it as a
Toad, or buy a trailer and put the truck on the trailer. I am just in a pickle of which one will be best.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
I know our RV is not the same, but we tow a Chevrolet 4x4 Silverado with a Rzr in the bed. The big problem with a trailer is finding some place to store it, when not in use and the added 1500-2000# of weight. If your RV will handle the weight, 4 down with the Rzr in the bed is, IMO, the only way to go.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was making the assumption (and you know where that can get you) that you wanted to take both the truck and the RZR. Or, were you just considering putting the RZR on the truck (that you already own) so that you don't have to buy a trailer?

If you were thinking of using the truck to carry the RZR and weren't worried about having a toad to drive on the road, then it would be cheaper to find a light weight trailer to haul the RZR rather than set up the truck to be towed due to the cost of the tow bar, wiring in the lights and the braking system.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

flutesinger
Explorer
Explorer
I am able to tow #10,000 lbs. One concern is Braking. I also am concerned about cost varibles. One buying car hauler, $3000 or two tow bar for 10,000lbs and braking system both cost about same so which one is esier to set up, safest, and cost prohibited.
BP

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of variables. But the easiest I have found is a small vehicle, 4 down, tow bar. Something like a standard shift Totyota Yaris. You won't even feel it back there. Some people like an easy to operate tow dolly with a small car.

With a Yaris for instance and a tow dolly, you could probably even get away with just putting the lights on it. Brakes etc., blah because it's such a light car behind the mass of the RV.

But anyway, to your question there are tons of variables. What kind of weight cans yours tow?
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
What year and model of Excursion do you have, and what model of truck are you plannng to haul? I have a friend who tows a RZR on top of Chevy 3/4T 4X4 LB diesel and it works fine. However, I wouldn't put the RZR on top of the truck and then put both on a car hauler. He bought the Chevy because it could be towed four down without any driveline modifications.

On my 2005 39S, the receiver is not marked with a weight capacity so I called Fleetwood. I was told that the 2005 receiver was only rated for 5,000#, but it could be modified to 10,000# by having the existing reciever cut out and and a heavier duty one welded in. The 2006 Excursion 39S is rated for 10,000#. The frame rails are the same, they just welded in a heavier receiver. I'm only towing a Jeep Wrangler which I knew is below 5,000#, but I wanted to know what I was rated at.

Bill