cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toyota motor homes

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
We need to consider downsizing and simplifying from a 30 ft. Class C towing a car to a much smaller unit and not towing. Discovering the older Toyota truck motorhomes. Seems like one would work; except how in the heck do you find a place for stuff to take along. Amazed to see that there is no outside storage. How do you deal with this? Do any of you tow a very small utility trailer? But then darn that's back to towing something.
Second question. We looked at a 1992 Dolphin model sort of reconditioned. Pretty nice; but $28000?
Jayco-noslide
22 REPLIES 22

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ppine wrote:
The older Toyotas were the slowest and most under powered RVs ever made.

Short of Conestoga wagons anyways...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
I agree with Ron. For the same money you can get a newer motorhome that is roughly the same size overall, but built on a much more robust chassis.

Many years ago I sometimes drove a '92 4Runner with the same 3.0 V6 as is in that motorhome. Even in an SUV it was underpowered and it got maybe 13-14 mpg in city driving, 17 on the highway. In a motorhome it might get 10-12, not much if any better than a shorter motorhome with a gas V8 or V10.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote:
We need to consider downsizing and simplifying from a 30 ft. Class C towing a car to a much smaller unit and not towing. Discovering the older Toyota truck motorhomes. Seems like one would work; except how in the heck do you find a place for stuff to take along. Amazed to see that there is no outside storage. How do you deal with this? Do any of you tow a very small utility trailer? But then darn that's back to towing something.
Second question. We looked at a 1992 Dolphin model sort of reconditioned. Pretty nice; but $28000?
We owned a 1983 Toyota chassis motorhome for 24 years. CLICK HERE to see many pictures of it.

That rig as it was pictured, weighed only 3600 pounds. As stripped-out and light as it was, with a solid 4-speed stick shift transmission, it accelerated and cruised very poorly because it was powered by a 2.4L 4-cylinder carbureted engine that yielded only 96 hp. I test drove a fully featured self contained Mini-Winnie on a 1993 Toyota chassis with the larger 3.0L-V6 engine with MFI and it too was unimpressive, I believe because the house weighed so much more than our rig did. Figure adding another half ton in people and stuff.

I cannot endorse owning an old Toyota-based chassis unless your plan is to take your time. Plan on a cruising speed not to exceed 60 mph, and 25 mph on extended inclines. Also plan on "Poor Handling" with no good means to improve it. Our rig had no stabilizer bars and none were available. I had Bilstein shocks and air bags which helped, but were not an ideal solution. Better but not right.

As far as the price is concerned, I would not offer more than $15,000 on any such rig regardless of it's condition. You can buy a very nice 22 foot long durable E350 chassis motorhome with a Triton V8 or V10 engine that is many years newer, built better, and in great condition for less than $28,000. And your fuel economy might not be much worse than a fully featured Toyota-V6. Our aerodynamic 2007 Phoenix Cruiser 2350 with a length of 23'-8" and the V10 engine gets 10.5 mpg trip averaging when not towing.

My advise is to shop around for these rigs to determine if the design and price fits your needs and budget. Start with year 1998 and go newer.

- Dynamax Isata Sport
- Dynamax Carri-Go
- Coachman Starflyte
- Phoenix Cruiser 2100
- Phoenix Cruiser 2350

Pending the brand and model, lengths will vary from 21 to 24 feet long. The shorter ones will fit in a regular parking spot. Ours fits if backing in the letting the rear overhang grass and such. I believe all are also "narrow bodied" offering easy maneuverability.

Many of these motorhomes lack a slide-out which is another benefit when buying "old". A slide-out in an old rig generally is not a good combination for reasons that don't require an explanation.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen a few folks put a fiberglass storage box on the roof or attached to the rear bumper. Also, I've seen a small scooter (in something like a bike rack) attached to the front/rear bumper.

On the older Toyota Class C's, the weight limitations, the rear overhang, the short wheelbase, and the small 4 or 6 cylinder engines really limit how much extra payload you can carry, . . . safely.

Chum lee

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
They want $1000. for every year it is old. They are looking for someone with more money than smarts. I watch RV's listed on craigslist in our area and can't believe the prices people are asking for old old RV's.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The older Toyotas were the slowest and most under powered RVs ever made.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Twenty-nine year old motorhomes arenโ€™t on my radar and shouldnโ€™t be on yourโ€™s IMO.

If your TV is a truck or SUV, a bunch of stuff can be carried/stored in the vehicle if payload allows.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
go sprinter, those old toyota,s had some big problems ,