cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tripping across the Mojave on I-40

eskins
Explorer
Explorer
I will be making my first trip to the grand canyon this july, which entails coming across I-40 there and back. Am I being overly cautious about that ride? Looks like about 3 hrs and July avg temps ~102. On the way there, I will lay over in Barstow and head across early in the am. It's the trip back I'm worried about. I'm thinking of leaving Williams AZ around 4am, getting across by 10am. I'd rather leave later, but I think that's too risky.

Anyone who's done this I would appreciate their input.

Apologies if this is answered in one of the forums, I never seem to have much luck searching forums, seems like a simple search feature, not indexed and have to troll through tons of pages to find a key word reference.
38 REPLIES 38

aerbus32
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to differ abit from most here. While we've certainly driven our various rigs in very hot temps I always try to leave as quietly as possible as early as possible. And get off the road in the early afternoon. Among other things is that the wind tends to kick up more as the deserts heat up. Another is that, especially when you get out of California and people can legally tow a lot faster, you'll notice a lot more 'Gators' out there from tire delamination. Driving too fast in hot climates seems to be a major contributor to this. We definitely run the generator & the roof airs. Just as during the winter, I try to leave later in the day, I try real hard to baby the rig, driving at a time of day when it is going to be the most comfortable for me and the RV.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
with generator/ ac running full bore the most you are going to see is a 20 degree reduction from outside. an early start with rig cool and a/c going is the most comfortable

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
russkerri wrote:
ArchHoagland wrote:
russkerri said:
"The gas station on the eastern edge of the preserve is very expensive."

That's an understatement. I was a bit low and pulled in there a few years ago. It was double what I had seen anywhere in the west and their credit card machine wasn't working, cash only.

Fill up in Needles. We've run across there many times. There may be some advantage to leaving early to avoid the wind but that doesn't hold true all the time.

I don't have problems overheating on my gas rig but I make sure to climb mountains at about 3,600 RPM which keeps the coolant and fan moving right along.

They even have a sign in the store warning customers not to complain to the employees about the cost since it's not the employees' fault.

In all fairness, they are doing business in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure they have higher operating costs than your average gas station.

While their fuel cost delivery charges may be a bit higher, I'll bet the real estate taxes,wages,etc. are lower than in more populated areas. They are taking advantage of their situation and seeing what the market will bear. Certainly they have lower volume and are making it up with cost per unit. Nothing wrong with that.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
eskins wrote:
One more item, it appears many run their generator ac while traveling through, is that correct? Don't rely just on the vehicle AC?

We always run our generator and house air conditioning when the outside temperatures are about 85 and up.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

eskins
Explorer
Explorer
One more item, it appears many run their generator ac while traveling through, is that correct? Don't rely just on the vehicle AC?

eskins
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Everyone for the feedback! I learned something here about going up grades. Seems counter-intuitive, but lower gear higher RPM seems the best. We've only been rv'ers for a few years, had a TT then bought a used 2003 Itasca gas. It's in very good shape, I put some money into last year, new tires, tune up etc. I'm going to ensure cooling and brakes are done before the major trip, and anything else for that matter.

Nice head's up on gas stations.

thanks again!

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
Using I-15 to get to Kingman is going to result in much more severe grades, up and down, than staying on I-40. I have traveled both routes many times with no problems. In July you will see high temps closer to 112 than 102.
If your tires and cooling system are in good shape you shouldn't have any problems.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

russkerri
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:
russkerri said:

That's an understatement. I was a bit low and pulled in there a few years ago. It was double what I had seen anywhere in the west and their credit card machine wasn't working, cash only.

Fill up in Needles. We've run across there many times. There may be some advantage to leaving early to avoid the wind but that doesn't hold true all the time.

I don't have problems overheating on my gas rig but I make sure to climb mountains at about 3,600 RPM which keeps the coolant and fan moving right along.

They even have a sign in the store warning customers not to complain to the employees about the cost since it's not the employees' fault.

In all fairness, they are doing business in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure they have higher operating costs than your average gas station.
Kerri
RVs with a Jayco 184BH named Birdy
Blogs at Travels with Birdy

russkerri
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
Russ, the I-15 doesn't go through Kingman, Arizona.

Right, we took I-15 to 164 to I-95 to 163/68. I figured they would see that on their map our trip router.

P.S. I'm actually the "Kerri" of "russkerri." When we got our first email account a couple of decades ago, we thought we would only use 1 email account for our family, like a home phone. It didn't take long before every had their own email accounts, of course. I continued to use the handle for many of our logins.
Kerri
RVs with a Jayco 184BH named Birdy
Blogs at Travels with Birdy

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We've made the trip six or seven times. No problems except unhitching in the heat and the heat on the front of the car and tow bar. The heat just seems to amke dirt and grit that much worse and it did kill our shield.
Only problem coming back was from Kingman the stretch to Flagstaff is a deceptive ascent. It's not steep but it still made our MH overheat and go into limp mode. Had to lean the radiator and CA. Dust and any oil from blwo by tube or grease from drive shaft joints will get between them, it seems.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Fueling is another subject.
I know 2 truck stops on I-5 in CA that always have lowest prices on diesel on West Coast. That include NV.
Than if you are not going to Vegas, Barstow has good prices. Food4Less beats a lot and I could drive my 40-footer to those pumps.
Than FlyingJ is not too bad neither.

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest following J-Rooster's advice on fueling. There have been scams at places around Needles at time.
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

Crespro
Explorer
Explorer
We have run this trip about ten times, usually during the day in the summer. Temps were about 110 to 115 degrees.

We always run the generator with the AC on. The coach temp is fine. In the gasser it ran fine, but the temp was warmer. In our 400 ISL diesel, it is no problem, even the grade both ways into and from Needles.
Crespro 2021 Grand Design 310GK-R, 2020 F250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I've done this one time in my coach with no problems! On the way back East I would fill up at one of the three fuel stations at the Lake Havasu Exit just off the interstate easy off and on and they have cheap fuel and fuel islands for RV's. The Lake Havasu Exit is about 20 miles East of Needles. In the Tri State Area (CA.,NV.,AZ.) California has the most expensive fuel per gallon. Good Luck on your trip!

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
russkerri said:

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes