cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trouble fueling

tjekkers
Explorer
Explorer
I have posted this before, but so far, none of the suggestions have worked. Sometimes when we try to put gas in our 2003 Southwind, the pump continually shuts off. Anyone out there have a solution to this?
19 REPLIES 19

Rangerider
Explorer
Explorer
This happened to me on my Hurricane the first time I filled it. It felt like it took a week to get it full! Through trial and error I learned that backing the nozzle out a little works most of the time. If it doesn't, I turn the nozzle upside down (i.e. rotate it 180 degrees from normal) and that does it.
Me & the Wife
2012 Thor Hurricane 32A
Future Toad: 2008 Honda CR-V

mnoeltne
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried backing the nozzle out about a 1/2 inch? That works on my Jeep that has shutoff issues.
Mark & Joyce Noeltner
2005 Fleetwood Fiesta 26Y
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

RodHatter
Explorer
Explorer
When I had this problem on my 2013 Chevy pick up I went to the dealer since it was under warranty. The gas canister with the charcoal filter was plugged cleaned it out and now no problems/ If the filter plugs it causes back pressure in the gas tank and trips the pump.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate posting.
Wildmanbaker

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that all Fleet wood gas MHs have the same type of fueling systems. Not all fueling pads are level. If the front is higher than the back of the MH, it can cause the problems you mention. We usually fuel at the same station when we return, and it has quite a slope to it. We, and other MH owners have learned to pull in so the front is running down hill, and makes fueling a lot easier. I have looked at ours and their is greater than 6" drop from the fueling door, to the tank entrance.
Wildmanbaker

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting that it only occurs sometimes. Aside from the valid responses that you've received, the same thing has happened to me, but not for awhile now. This is going to sound CRAZY, but here goes >>>

I make sure the nozzle is straight up & down when inserted into the filler.

Hasn't happened since. It's probably just my imagination or medications.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also, check the fuller tube height from the ground up. Level ground. Then check the fill flange on the tank. The filler tube on the back needs to be higher.

I ask my neighbor about this since he has one like yours on the back and he came off the side of the tank and put in a new Fill door on the side of the RV.. He just left the old unused one there. He put it as high as he could above a compartment door. The hose and vent are inside a compartment and are higher than the tank. The hose is right at 3 foot now.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Let me describe teh problem as best I can with ASCII

Car
Filler
. . .\
, , , ,\
' ' ' Tank

RV
Filler\
. . . ---__Tank

As you can see on the RV filler tube is running near flat v/s a serious drop on the car.

The result is at high volume the filler hose backs up shutting off the pump

Solutions
If you have filler caps on both sides, remove both gas caps
If not, Use the jacks to "Tilt" the RV away from the pump

Pump slower (first notch or less on a latching handle)

This is in addition to checking vent lines and other things suggested above.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Then I'm wondering if your fuel filler tube is at the wrong angle. Is there a way to modify it?.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

tjekkers
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis, so far we have installed a new vent line, new fuel hose, removed the fuel nozzle mechanism, cleaned and re-installed. The answer above about the problem possibly being with the actual fuel pump nozzle is interesting because it doesn't happen EVERY time, just most of the time. We are still definitely open to ideas, though and appreciate everyone who has taken the time to respond. For the person who asked where the gas filler is on our coach, it is on the back.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
tjekkers wrote:
I have posted this before, but so far, none of the suggestions have worked.

Since you posted it before, please list the responses you received that proved to be unsatisfactory. Otherwise you're probably going to get the same responses, wasting YOUR time as well as OURS.....thanks....Dennis

Tntman
Explorer
Explorer
This from an old gas jockey, the fuel nozzle has a tiny hole near the end. That hole causes the pump to shut off when it is hit with fuel. Sometimes the prior person gets fuel into the hole and it will cause the pump to shut off. I have actually blown the hole open when my pump shuts off constantly. Also the angle of the nozzle in the fill tube could cause the tiny hole to receive fuel and shut down, in this case, just turn the nozzle for better flow into the fuel tank.
ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST,
Mike, Jill and our dog Goshe
Our Booger dog is with us in a custom urn, miss ya Boogs
2003 Tiffin Phaeton, Roadmaster tow products, 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Good Sam, SKP, FMCA F292654

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
tjekkers wrote:
I have posted this before, but so far, none of the suggestions have worked. Sometimes when we try to put gas in our 2003 Southwind, the pump continually shuts off. Anyone out there have a solution to this?

Your posting says "sometimes" Is that correct ?

Also, I'm awaiting your reply to the question. Has this happened the entire time of your ownership & did you buy it new ?
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it's always done that, your vent line is probably still wrapped and zip tied above the filler cap. Try to feel around the filler pipe on the backside and see if you feel a rolled up plastic line...unroll it and your problems will be over. The old gravity water fills used to do the same thing only they would spit the water back at you. Fuel nozzles simply shut off.....Dennis