cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck Camper, Class B or C for this?

livemusic
Explorer
Explorer
I have done musical chairs for what I thought I need but I am taking my time and now, I am leaning more toward a Class B or small Class C. Here are some needs...

1 Me, solo, or with gf, not concerned about another bed, although, it might come in handy when grandson gets older. If having a place for him is an issue, it isn't important for this purchase, as he's just a baby, lol, and right now, it's just me or me and her.

2 Toilet and shower inside is mandatory

3 I am 6'2" tall, so, a small bed isn't good

4 A good A/C is mandatory

5 Due to "4" above, a generator is mandatory

6 Well-made is a plus, as I am not fond of tinkering. I'll do it when I have to, I am just saying I am not someone who loves it.

7 Storage could become an issue. I can learn to make-do like everybody else does, I suppose, but I am a musician and will tour some, me solo or with gf. I guess I would have to force myself to take ONLY two guitars and a small PA system, plus gear bag. If this is impossible, I would have to make do with only one guitar, lol. Is this even doable, I have no idea how much space you really have. If not, I'd have to pull a trailer.

8 I would prefer to have one that is powerful enough to pull a small bassboat or a cargo trailer. I like to fish and often go to a boonies location; it would be a plus to take an RV and be able to sleep overnight with A/C, as in the summer, it is brutally hot in a tent. Plus, if I could pull a trailer, I could solve the musician dilemma.

9 Cooking setup isn't that important to me.

10 It would be nice to have a place to sit inside the living area that is decently comfortable.

11 TV isn't that important to me.

12 I wonder about having SRW; do they make them dually? Just concerned about having a flat. Perhaps with a dually, a flat on one tire isn't as bad? I don't know, never owned a dually of any sort.

13 I am pretty spontaneous, so, just being able to go on a moment's notice, even if it's only fishing overnight, is a plus.

14 Was enamored with TC for awhile since I could use the truck otherwise for my farm, but... I'd need to buy a one-ton DRW, I am told. Plus, it seems that with a TC, you 'lose' all the space that is under the truck bed. It also seems pretty cramped.

I prefer to buy used, at least for this purchase. The only RV I have owned was a very small TT 30 years ago and only used it on a few worksites. I like used because I get sticker shock at new prices and would prefer to let someone else take the depreciation hit. Especially until I get some more experience.

RV owners talk about how often everything breaks. Seems to me a Class B is built sturdier because it's basically an automobile, and it doesn't have that many additions. Correct me if wrong.

Commentary, size, models, brand recommendations are helpful, as I don't know much!

Thank you!
20 REPLIES 20

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Get a small Winnebago class C. You can use the large over-the-cab bed to store your delicate musical instruments. You can get one as small as 22 feet with a bed. Good luck!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"There isn't anything about a Class A that appeals to me other than it has lots of room."

We agree! Isn't anything about a larger TT that appeals to me other than they have lots of room! If they didn't have more room why on earth tow a larger TT? I too have doubts about achieving everything I wish for.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
livemusic wrote:
timmac wrote:
Sounds like a class A motorhome would fit you better..

Class A's have taller ceilings, bigger beds and bigger living rooms, more storage and a onboard jenny..

Everything I wish for doesn't have to be achieved but without a doubt, I'm not buying a Class A, that's just too big. There isn't anything about a Class A that appeals to me other than it has lots of room.

I use to own a 2002 Fleetwood Flair 25Y, {class A} it was 26 foot long, no slides, had a 8.1L motor, lots of storage outside and good storage inside, lots of HP, house size queen bed, nice bath, large fresh water tank and onboard jenny with central air/heat, and I could drive it anywhere and park anywhere a long bed dually truck could park, it really was neat, small but yet big enough for 2 people.

Small class A's are not much bigger than what you are looking for but yet will have everything you need.

livemusic
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:

Class A's have taller ceilings, bigger beds and bigger living rooms, more storage and a onboard jenny..

Everything I wish for doesn't have to be achieved but without a doubt, I'm not buying a Class A, that's just too big. There isn't anything about a Class A that appeals to me other than it has lots of room.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
At this point your needs and desires are not refined sufficiently for comment IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad