cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn signal/ flasher help

iamalienru
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 1998 American Eagle. The flaher and engaging the right turn signal blows the 10 amp fuse for the flasher. I have changed the bulbs cleaned up the sockets checked the relays for resistance all good. Left turn works will not blow the fuse soon as you turn to the right it blows. Waiting for a 10 amp breaker to come to see if there is a spark somewhere but probably it wont show. Pulling the column control seems to be a big job. Any ideas would be much appreciated
Tom
17 REPLIES 17

iamalienru
Explorer
Explorer
Not easy in respect to the frustration and time but not costly born and raised in southern California 66 years ago that probably accounts for my not figuring out things that quick thanks again
Tom

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fixing things are harder when you're an alien. :B. Glad to hear it was an easy fix and not too costly....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update! Glad I was of some help.
Easy fix?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

iamalienru
Explorer
Explorer
I found it thanks to enbelthen To all American coach owenrs your side mirrors are connected to your flasher and turn signals if the mirror shorts your turn signal and flasher fuse will be effected
Thank you
Tom

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
That is similar to my GM chassis.
That tells me we(you) are somewhat back to checking all lights for a shorted socket or wiring issue.
Does your rig have a wiring compartment under the driver's seat area on the outside of the rig? If so you maybe able to locate wires to isolate problem.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

iamalienru
Explorer
Explorer
The switch is on the column under tturn signal arm pulling the flasher switch or signaling right blows the 10 amp fuse for the flasher
Tom

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Most rigs the emergency (hazard) wiring does not go through the steering column wiring for turn signals. If emergency flashers work, then problem could be near or in column. If they don't work then it is more apt to be in wiring beyond column.
Where is your emergency flasher switch?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

iamalienru
Explorer
Explorer
Let me clarify i replaced the relay not the switch i was hoping not to get in the column thats the last resort
Tom

iamalienru
Explorer
Explorer
I put a new flasher in
Tom

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
physically pulling turn signal flasher blows the fuse? That could indicate bad flasher.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

iamalienru
Explorer
Explorer
Pulling the flasher blows the fuse
Tom

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Forgot to ask if the emergency flashers work

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
some rigs have mid-ship side lights

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

iamalienru
Explorer
Explorer
7 blade connection brake sperate from turn signal i had it all disconnected still had the problem the mirros have amber lights on the bottom of them dont know if theflash with the signal lights but im going to check in the morning or if they are running lights if they are working interesting
Tom