cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgrading the door locks on our Motorhome

Dsarge
Explorer
Explorer
Being a first time motorhomer but owning several travel trailers in our lifetime, is it wise to change the locks on the door? Is there a better door lock system out there that doesn't use the same key everyone else has or even keyless that will replace the old with out any cutting?

I need guidance, please.
6 REPLIES 6

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
tderonne wrote:
Someone commented that my keyless entry system could be hacked into electronically.

My response was that my windows have plastic locks...

Our windows are also made of glass.....rocks and tire irons are our enemies.... ๐Ÿ˜‰
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
Someone commented that my keyless entry system could be hacked into electronically.

My response was that my windows have plastic locks...
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's generally only the outside compartments that have the same key as every other RV in the universe (well, almost every other RV). The door lock keys are different.

Given the general insecurity of most RVs, I wouldn't spend too much time or energy or worry about upgrading lock security. If someone wants in, there are many fairly easy ways to break in, and if someone is honest, then a relatively insecure lock is plenty to keep them honest.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
If they want to get in they are going to get in. Might make for some worse damage.
I personally don't lock any of my doors or storage compartments.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I would call your local locksmith and ask him! The call is free and those guys have a lot of key and lock knowledge.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Dsarge wrote:
Being a first time motorhomer but owning several travel trailers in our lifetime, is it wise to change the locks on the door? Is there a better door lock system out there that doesn't use the same key everyone else has or even keyless that will replace the old with out any cutting?

I need guidance, please.

every motor home I have owned has a dead bolt with a dedicated key
that's not the same as others and a trimark syle locked pull lever that again has its own dedicated key
what kind of MH do u have that has the same door key as others??