cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using two surge protectors

et2
Explorer
Explorer
I'm no electrician so I have a question for those with the knowledge. From our fiver I kept the portable Progressive EMS PT50C. We also have in our 1 year old MH the system hard wired to it already. I have been using the portable plugged to the box on the post then plugging in our power cord. I felt double the protection couldn't hurt.

The question is, could it hurt the hard wired system somehow having the portable one before it?

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

et2
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
A surge big enough to fry the 50 amp cord will also fry the surge protector. And a brown out deep enough to fry the cord is very simply not possible.

So, Protecting the cord is a non-issue.

Growing legs *IS* and issue

Portables can do that.
(Human legs that is, As in theft)

Thanks. But if they want to cut the chain and lock they can have it. Either that or they'll have to cut the power post down, that would get some attention. The surge protector would stop the surge at the post? No? That's what they are designed to do. Shut down the power?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
A surge big enough to fry the 50 amp cord will also fry the surge protector. And a brown out deep enough to fry the cord is very simply not possible.

So, Protecting the cord is a non-issue.

Growing legs *IS* and issue

Portables can do that.
(Human legs that is, As in theft)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

et2
Explorer
Explorer
RayChez wrote:
It will not hurt the hard wired surge protector, but what you have is over kill. Once a surge comes on the first surge protector will shut down any power into your coach. The second is there just for pretty.

I agree with old biscuit, it could save the 50 amp power cord and it's connections to the MH. I didn't think of that as it'll be stopped at the post and Surge protector.

Thanks for all the replies.

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
Do the both have delayed restarts? if so you will have double the restart time.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
It will not hurt the hard wired surge protector, but what you have is over kill. Once a surge comes on the first surge protector will shut down any power into your coach. The second is there just for pretty.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are two kinds of "Surge Protectors" one has only LED's one has digital displays. (LCD display)

The first, doubling up is good, the second, it will not hurt, nor will it help.

These are the good ones. The ones with the LCD displays.

I would keep it though.. In case you need it later.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
The portable will protect power cord and rig.......the hardwired one will protect rig should power cord have issues.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recently upgraded to progressive Industries 30 amp EMS portable. I kept the old 30 amp PI Surge Guard (only), portable. now if some miscreant manages to defeat my padlock and walk off with the new EMS I still have the old one for a back up or for sharing with a neighbor who has nothing. Since both of mine are the portable models running them in series just never occurred to me but I do like the redundancy doing so would offer.

:C

BobandShaz
Explorer
Explorer
I would agree with Ron....
Bob and Sharon

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't see how. The first one will shut down if there is a problem, and if no problem, it lets everything through. You just have a backup redundant system. Sounds good to me.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....