cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIP Steering Wheel Parts

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had an ongoing issue with my VIP smart wheel behaving a bit erratic. For example using the button to change CC speed cuts the CC out. Sometimes the horn honk when turning the wheel...or maybe the windshield wiper comes on. That sort of thing and it's intermittent.

A couple of years ago I had the steering wheel pulled and the slip rings cleaned. After that it behaved fine but recently it's starting to act up. I'm OK with pulling the wheel and cleaning them again but I would like to do something with a bit more permanent result. In hindsight I did not use a dielectric grease or such and I'm wondering if that was an oversight.

Suggestions would be appreciated since I can not find a replacement slip ring assy.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad
4 REPLIES 4

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the replies. As mentioned earlier my wheel does not use the clock-spring but is the earlier model using a copper slip rings assy. I'm going to pull the wheel today and clean the rings and buttons...not a big job, and use some lube to keep the buttons moving free and possibly prevent any oxidation from occurring.

Not sure if the grease should be dielectric or conductive. Once the wheel is off I should be able to figure it out. Depends if there is an insulator between the rings or not.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

johnsonbert
Explorer
Explorer
My BIL with an 07 Beaver had a similiar problem and replaced the clock spring, that seemed to take care of the issue. That has been several years ago not.
Hope this may help, Happy Trails Bert.
2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
After nothing but problems with mine I removed the two bezels with the buttons from the wheel and built a small box to enclose them and installed it on the side console. I removed the cladding off the steering column and re routed the wiring to the box. I had to put a horn button on the box as well. It works every time now and no more horn honking and wiper malfunction. I find it as handy to access as well.
I made two small wood blanks to fit where the bezels came off the wheel and painted them black to match.
It may not be every ones solution but works for me. That clock spring was nothing but problems for me.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I see no harm in doing so. It sounds like a intermittent loss of contact.