cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Want to Tow a Jeep

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
OK I know it's a can of worms, but looking on line I see tow bars from $200 to over $1000. Which one will do the job? 03 Wrangler, under 5klb's, Which hitch, from who?
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)
28 REPLIES 28

DRTDEVL
Explorer
Explorer
As everything, it depends on your skill level, your financial level, your patience, and your ability to think outside the box. Sure, you could always pay over $1k and get a total bolt-on kit, then spend another $300 to have it installed, but why? A Jeep is simple.

I towed an old Montero for a while... and almost nobody made anything for it. I made a bumper from 2x4 or 2x6 angle iron (I don't remember which now, welded permanent tie-down shackles rated at 30k to the front of it opposite the frame horns, and got a "hook up" deal from a guy I served with in Iraq for an IBISTEK 17K capacity aluminum collapsible HMMWV towbar. The thing is HUGE, but relatively lightweight.

I feared more of the grade 8 hardware attaching the bumper to the frame of failing than anything else in the setup. I still have a few pics of when I was mocking it up during construction and testing. Yes, the chains were not attached right for the pic, this was just for show (I needed a couple more opening links to attach to the RV).

OK, Never mind. Let me know if you want a pic, I don't have it hosted anywhere it can be hot linked, and I can't upload it as an attachment. Oops. Live and learn.
Resurrecting an inherited 1980 Minnie Winnie 20RG from the dead after sitting since 1998..

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
I would think something like these would work.

or look here: Front bumper parts.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
I found a deal on a Blue Ox Ambassador Tow Bar. Looking for the mounting plates to put on the Jeep. I was thinking they would bolt on to the bumper where the tow hooks are currently mounted. Instead I'm finding a rack that bolts to the frame under the bumper. Is this correct? seems over designed. Tow hooks are factory mounted to take the weight of the vehicle.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
jarata1 wrote:
Make sure you have a Suplimental brake system in jeep

Why, other than the fact that it couldn't hurt and it is a good idea?
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you have a Suplimental brake system in jeep

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
My $50.00 base plate

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
I have been towing a Jeep for almost 16 years. I went to a metal shop bought some good heavy metal and made my own, ordered the base plate on line. Works better than the high dollar job my brother-in-law has on his. He got in to a turn around one time and we had to pry his tow bar loose with a wrecking bar. So I think the one I made works better.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I towed several different Jeeps with a simple, inexpensive ($145), fixed arm adjustable width Reese 5000 lb. capacity towbar. It did exactly the same job as the bars that cost over a thousand dollars!
The last time I checked, Walmart had those towbars for $165. Harbor Freight has similar bars for under $100.
There will be scare stories about how terribly inconvenient such fixed-arm towbars are. For the doomsayers and naysayers that spread such stories, they are undoubtedly true. For me, I never found any truth to such stories.
NSA has the Ready Brake that works just fine with the fixed-arm towbar (or any towbar, for that matter).
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on your front bumper you may not need a baseplate. My previous Jeep was pre-drilled for tow eyes. You can get new bolt-on replacement front bumpers that are ready to go.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Demco plate and Demco Commander towbar. Light easy hookup with my '14 Wrangler. $315 and $533
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
High priced super strong tow bars are not required for a jeep.

kinda like shooting a mouse with a shot gun. They'll do the job OK, but why?

We use a Falcon II tow bar that we bought off Craig's list.
There are lots of equipment variations for the jeep, really depends on what bumper you have on the jeep.
Ridged tow bars are a pain to hook up by 1 person.
Adjustable ones come loose.

Look for something like This
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
You can go cheap with a fold up tow bar attached to the Jeep or

you can go with a base plate on the Jeep and a tow bar that attaches to the base plate when under way. When you reach your destination the tow bar folds out of the way behind the Motor Home.

In any case I suggest a FROG baking sysem.

3 dog nights wrote:
OK I know it's a can of worms, but looking on line I see tow bars from $200 to over $1000. Which one will do the job? 03 Wrangler, under 5klb's, Which hitch, from who?
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Blue Ox base plate and the Ready Brute tow bar. It has the surge brake.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 dog nights wrote:

Road Master or Blue Ox. They should be the same quality and about the same price. Each has adapters to connect to the the others tow bar.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?