cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's it take to recarpet and re-tile a 1998 Monaco Dynasty

mexicanpiloto13
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are looking into re-carpeting and re-tiling our 1998 Monaco Dynasty. Many of the tiles initially put in, in the bathroom area, are also cracked. One thing that concerns me is that it seems that the bathroom partition walls may have been laid ontop of the tile. I pulled away the thin baseboard around it and didn't see an edge tot he tile. Has anybody done this work, and what do you do in a case like that? I would appreciate any insight. In the kitchen, it appears that the tile was cut right to the edge. The carpeting will be easier, except we'll have to get thin carpet where the slide comes out so it doesn't jam. We would greatly appreciate any thoughts!
7 REPLIES 7

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
check out my facebook page- Ernie Ekbergs Flooring
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
I put down this flooring in most of the motorhome,
but in the bathroom i picked up a vinyl flooring figured it would be more durable if gotten wet
i still have to do the 1/4 round moldings on it, but want to finish off the outside first now

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
erniee wrote:
or-have me install engineered wood

Post some pics Ernie so the OP can see what great work you do. I really liked the one where you did the stair well in wood.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
or-have me install engineered wood
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

diplomatdon
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to remove the tile get a multi tool, and diamond blade from Harbor Freight. This will cut thru tile tight to the wall leaving tile under walls. Use a drywall trowel to protect wall from damage. Same tool with different blade should take tile up from floor. Take pictures and share with us please. Good luck, Don.

mexicanpiloto13
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just had the owner of a carpet and tile company check out our rig, and walked out within 5 minutes and said he couldn't help us and didn't want the job. One of the biggest obstacles was that he didn't want to mess with trying to get the tiles out from under some of the bathroom walls and partitions. He said you would have to take the moulding off, then use a tile saw and cut the tile off as close to the wall as you could. He thought it would be a mess. He did suggest we have put down the new vinyl tile that looks like wood. He says we would love it, but he just didn't want to do it himself. No wonder flooring companies don't call you back on re-doing an RV interior!

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most rv's are built like this. Once the center tiles are out, the other tiles might be able to be pulled from under the wall. New could then slide back under?? Not sure.