cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water pump/water tank issue has me stumped

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to use the fresh water tank. I have the hand valve under the tank in the basement open and the drain valve, directly under tank valve closed. Turn on the water pump and faucets sputter, forever. I fill all lines with city water from my hose, cut off the city water and try water pump again. After it sputters all the water in the lines out just air again. Hot water tank is full. As a matter of fact when I try to use the hot water I can here it bubbling like crazy, but only sputters at all faucets. Took a look at the water pump and noticed there's a clear, plastic hand tightened bowl on the pump. The top of this bowl was sitting in the water pump bay. Looks like it broke off Does this bowl hold water? The bay was dry but it may have dried out since November. Now the baffling part. I can't drain the fresh water tank. Open both hand valves and nothing. This is the first time out since I blew out the lines in November. Never had this issue before, had this unit since 2013. Any ideas?

Thanks

Bob
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI
8 REPLIES 8

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the help. I'll advise when I figure it out. We're on vacation until 5/18 so I'm gonna take my time and pick away.

Thanks again

Bob

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can take 8 to 12 minutes to fill the lines with water.

But. if you have a LEAK on the pump intake it will supptter for ever. Alas. can't say where the leak may be. Very tiny holes may let air in but keep water in as well. .Had that happen on a car's fuel line, finally figured it out. replaced the line and car ran much, much better.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
This must be the year for them. ours also broke. Just the plastic bowl is very hard to find. We had to order one from out of state.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't take much water to destroy the strainer bowl in winter temps. I make it one of my winterizing steps to remove the bowl until spring. You do need it to utilize the fresh water tank.
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 I had mine freeze and crack. there cheap on e bay.

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
The screen and plastic cap have to go back onto the pump. Just a thought on the water, when you winterized did you turn a valve off that allows the water to flow from the fresh water tank to the pump?
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
YES!! I found a screen. Cylinder shaped screen.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
The bowl you describe sounds like the strainer bowl. If it broke off the pump, you would be sucking air and that would be why your faucet sputters. Did you find a screen in that bay also?
If you can't drain your tank, you probably have a valve up stream closed. Kind of like when you put a straw in a drink and put your finger on the open end. When you lift the straw, liquid won't come out until you remove your finger.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows