cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

We don't "Camp" ...We sell at shows. What would you do?

Lew_Schiller
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
After lurking and reading for some time I feel the need to post this question. I don't know if an RV is right for my wife and me but I think it could be.
We sell at shows from Utah to Missouri, Colorado, Arizona, Texas - basically a one day (long) van drive from Denver. We're out 2 to 3 weekends per month - 4 or 5 days on the road for each "away game" we do.
We have a van and cargo trailer. We currently bask in Two Star Hotel Luxury - usually Choice Hotel chain properties. We spend anywhere from $350 to $500 per show -- I'd say average $1100 per month on hotels.
An RV would allow us to stay out for a few weeks reducing the "Out and Back" trips we make now. (We've put close to 60,000 miles on the van in 18 months)

If we were to use an RV we'd need to trailer tow a full size van because that would hold our setup and inventory as well as provide ground transportation. The problem with just a coach is that many of the venues have tight loading areas and I couldn't get close with a long Class A and 14' trailer. We need to be able to stay and work in the rig - desk...place to pack small boxes for internet orders and so forth. We need a good shower as we have to be presentable at the shows. Two sleeping areas would be ideal. One Queen Size Bed would be work if we were still in our 20's but now....not so much.

We're in our 60's and will be doing this for another 5 years health allowing. This leads me to think a good used rig that we can afford or for which we'd have a modest note.

Anyway - I'm posting this in Class A. A C might work but I think it would be just too small. I can't be the only person to have these questions....what would you do?
38 REPLIES 38

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
Many vendors who work the major shooting tournaments across the country spend extended periods on the road and Class A coaches pulling various configurations of vendor trailers are common. One vendor I know has a 40 ft coach pulling a custom vendor trailer that opens up to do business. When traveling, stock and supplies ride in the belly compartments of the coach and a golf cart amd mini-Cooper can ride in the trailer.
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

Lew_Schiller
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! That one has a King bed..A rarity from what I've seen.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Lew Schiller wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
We did what you are describing but we bought and towed a full sized Extended length Chevy Van. The Van held everything we needed and if we wanted extra for the show we had that inventory shipped to the show location. If the the show will not accept your inventory, most local UPS stores and similar locations will accept it for about $5/box. My boxes were over 125 pounds and it was still $5/box.
60,000 miles a year on an RV is going to crash the value of the coach unless you plan to keep it forever (my plan for my RV with 350,000 miles) but you may be able to cut the number of miles traveled if you can go from one show to another. I spend over 12 years full time going from RV show to RV show and never returned home but some shows were 1000's of miles apart. It was great and I highly recommend it.

Good points and being able to run a 2 or 3 week circuit is part of the allure of an RV. We, though, have to get back to make what we sell so long term (fulltime) runs aren't viable.
I imagine you and I could spend some time chatting about show business on the road ๐Ÿ™‚

Look This One Over possible remove the two chairs and create a storage area - then use a 2010 Honda Odyssey as a toad with the remainder of your wares - Both would be used and might be the easiest solution to your Question/Delima.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me I would get a DP and tow a 24' cargo or 35" sport trailer with a van or truck inside. That way you can have all your goods inside the van / truck and if there is parking onsite at the venue for vendors (often there is) then you can just leave everything connected. If you need to park at a nearby RV park you can tow the trailer with the van / truck / SUV after you get to the RV park. You will need a large trailer and a fairly powerful DP to tow it with. Alternatively you can get a "Super C" such as a Thor 35xx built on a Ford F550 or Freightliner M2-106 chassis. These rigs have a tremendous tow capacity and comfortable sleeping arrangements.
FMCA member

Lew_Schiller
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
We did what you are describing but we bought and towed a full sized Extended length Chevy Van. The Van held everything we needed and if we wanted extra for the show we had that inventory shipped to the show location. If the the show will not accept your inventory, most local UPS stores and similar locations will accept it for about $5/box. My boxes were over 125 pounds and it was still $5/box.
60,000 miles a year on an RV is going to crash the value of the coach unless you plan to keep it forever (my plan for my RV with 350,000 miles) but you may be able to cut the number of miles traveled if you can go from one show to another. I spend over 12 years full time going from RV show to RV show and never returned home but some shows were 1000's of miles apart. It was great and I highly recommend it.

Good points and being able to run a 2 or 3 week circuit is part of the allure of an RV. We, though, have to get back to make what we sell so long term (fulltime) runs aren't viable.
I imagine you and I could spend some time chatting about show business on the road ๐Ÿ™‚

Lew_Schiller
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Here is a map for the Will Rogers Center. It shows two RV parking sites: Will Rogers Center

Oh for sure - there's loads of RV parking..usually taken up by Mega Horse trailers...but there are sites. But that site by the Sheep barn is suitable for Class C size only - it's really just a parking strip with power. Everything south of Harley Street is gone as they're building a new Arena.
Don't get me started about Standard Parking at WREC. Where it says Parking $5 it's actually $10. It's the only show we do where vendors pay for parking and I mean +- $50 for the weekend for the van and cargo trailer :-(.
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29362426/srt/pa/pging/1/page/2.cfm
Allright...in about the middle of the map see Amon G Carter Exhibits hall? Ok..follow the red line in off Gendy street and turn left onto Tower drive then turn left between the hall and Auditorium. Now you're at the loading area. Tower will be parked up along one side with trailers and trucks. There are vehicles parked perpendicular to the Auditorium and around the corner thereof. Then to get out you have to go up alongside the auditorium and make a hard left through gates to exit. Not the luxurious loading docks found at Convention Centers.

There's no place to park a large rig anywhere near the hall which is why my initial thought is to trailer a van that can be driven in to places like this. Also makes load out easier since on load out we can drive in to the building. That made a heck of a difference a couple weeks ago when during load out a storm dropped like 3" of rain in 20 minutes.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Lew_Schiller
Explorer
Explorer
inky wrote:
Been selling at shows and driving our RV towing a cargo trailer for sometime now. PM me and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

I appreciate that...let me get a little further along and I will!

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Lew Schiller wrote:
Well that Simba is quite interesting. Never knew of a Class A with a garage. I do know a guy who uses a Super C with a lift gate and garage but the living quarters are sparse.
A Toy Hauler trailer ... hmmm...would have to be a bumper pull towed behind a van.
Something to consider.

If your not familiar with the toyhaulers as an example
go to
www.keystonerv.com/impact/models/28v/model-mobile
This is a 28' box with 9 and a half ft garage.

inky
Explorer
Explorer
Been selling at shows and driving our RV towing a cargo trailer for sometime now. PM me and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is a map for the Will Rogers Center. It shows two RV parking sites: Will Rogers Center

Lew_Schiller
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
At 'shows' we've attended there are always big RVs and trailers parked from the vendors. Somehow they get their wares to the shows. Have you ever driven a long vehicle? Perhaps you 'think' you can't park but you'd be surprised at how easy it is. Think of the big semi trucks backing in to the docking areas in cities. Many times they don't have a lot of room. We've been amazed at watching them at times.

Trouble with that is for a private guy to get that good requires a lot of fenders.

You're right - though I am pretty good and I have driven long vehicles.
What you say is so...but there are venues such as the Will Rogers Center in Fort Worth where load in is in the back of the building and the only way to get a long rig in there would be if everybody else was gone.
I've never seen anything longer than a 20' straight truck back there.

I pretty much fill a 5 x 10 cargo trailer with our display infrastructure. Our inventory fills a full size van half way up. It's bulky. Cargo bays wouldn't be nearly enough space

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Lew Schiller wrote:
AllegroD wrote:
Note that most gassers won't haul as much product or tow as much as a DP.

That's what I'm thinking as well

WE are legal at 43,000# that is 10,000# in tow, we've done a 20' cargo trailer loaded to 9500# with no problems, but it does slow us down on the hills.

In the shows we go to, parking the trailer at the site with the coach might be a problem.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
At 'shows' we've attended there are always big RVs and trailers parked from the vendors. Somehow they get their wares to the shows. Have you ever driven a long vehicle? Perhaps you 'think' you can't park but you'd be surprised at how easy it is. Think of the big semi trucks backing in to the docking areas in cities. Many times they don't have a lot of room. We've been amazed at watching them at times.

Trouble with that is for a private guy to get that good requires a lot of fenders.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Lew Schiller wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
Thousands of Class "A"s pulling large cargo trailers, why wouldn't that work?

You could go as far as full time on the road ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes - I see them on the road. As I mention though, the loading areas at many of the venues is quite tight. I couldn't get a 38' A and a trailer near them. I might be able to change how I pack and set-up to make my display more of a roll-in...

Can't full time - we make what we sell and need to be home based to do that. BTW - in that Simba I'd like the cargo bay for an office/shop!

What is the cubic foot of space you need to haul what you sell?

Our Basement storage is three bays totaling a little over 30 cubic feet of space. it is open between the 3 bays, giving about 8 feet fore and aft and 8 feet wide. and a little under 3 feet high.

If that's enough space you can display under your awning on the side of the coach.

We see several vendors doing it this way at the aviation shows.