cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

We don't "Camp" ...We sell at shows. What would you do?

Lew_Schiller
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
After lurking and reading for some time I feel the need to post this question. I don't know if an RV is right for my wife and me but I think it could be.
We sell at shows from Utah to Missouri, Colorado, Arizona, Texas - basically a one day (long) van drive from Denver. We're out 2 to 3 weekends per month - 4 or 5 days on the road for each "away game" we do.
We have a van and cargo trailer. We currently bask in Two Star Hotel Luxury - usually Choice Hotel chain properties. We spend anywhere from $350 to $500 per show -- I'd say average $1100 per month on hotels.
An RV would allow us to stay out for a few weeks reducing the "Out and Back" trips we make now. (We've put close to 60,000 miles on the van in 18 months)

If we were to use an RV we'd need to trailer tow a full size van because that would hold our setup and inventory as well as provide ground transportation. The problem with just a coach is that many of the venues have tight loading areas and I couldn't get close with a long Class A and 14' trailer. We need to be able to stay and work in the rig - desk...place to pack small boxes for internet orders and so forth. We need a good shower as we have to be presentable at the shows. Two sleeping areas would be ideal. One Queen Size Bed would be work if we were still in our 20's but now....not so much.

We're in our 60's and will be doing this for another 5 years health allowing. This leads me to think a good used rig that we can afford or for which we'd have a modest note.

Anyway - I'm posting this in Class A. A C might work but I think it would be just too small. I can't be the only person to have these questions....what would you do?
38 REPLIES 38

Lew_Schiller
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you guys very much for all your help and input. I believe I have come to grips with what will work best for me.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Don't park the RV at the show. Try an RV Park. Problem solved.

MrWizard
IF your going to Hotels, convention centers, stadiums
they have enough room back in 18 wheelers
you just need to learn to drive and park a larger vehicle

a 38ft MH and van or small trailer is the wrong combination
a TH motorhome, or a toy hauler trailer with tow vehicle

back it in unload, then go park
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
What do you sell we are looking for a road job in the east

Lew Schiller wrote:
Hello,
After lurking and reading for some time I feel the need to post this question. I don't know if an RV is right for my wife and me but I think it could be.
We sell at shows from Utah to Missouri, Colorado, Arizona, Texas - basically a one day (long) van drive from Denver. We're out 2 to 3 weekends per month - 4 or 5 days on the road for each "away game" we do.
We have a van and cargo trailer. We currently bask in Two Star Hotel Luxury - usually Choice Hotel chain properties. We spend anywhere from $350 to $500 per show -- I'd say average $1100 per month on hotels.
An RV would allow us to stay out for a few weeks reducing the "Out and Back" trips we make now. (We've put close to 60,000 miles on the van in 18 months)

If we were to use an RV we'd need to trailer tow a full size van because that would hold our setup and inventory as well as provide ground transportation. The problem with just a coach is that many of the venues have tight loading areas and I couldn't get close with a long Class A and 14' trailer. We need to be able to stay and work in the rig - desk...place to pack small boxes for internet orders and so forth. We need a good shower as we have to be presentable at the shows. Two sleeping areas would be ideal. One Queen Size Bed would be work if we were still in our 20's but now....not so much.

We're in our 60's and will be doing this for another 5 years health allowing. This leads me to think a good used rig that we can afford or for which we'd have a modest note.

Anyway - I'm posting this in Class A. A C might work but I think it would be just too small. I can't be the only person to have these questions....what would you do?

STANG23L
Explorer
Explorer
I've been driving by this beast on the way up to my camper. Partner it with a car trailer hauling your van packed for the show and you'd have plenty of room. Only down fall is the sleeping arrangements. But with some searching you should be able to find something similar with the layout you want.
2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Lew Schiller wrote:
Well that Simba is quite interesting. Never knew of a Class A with a garage. I do know a guy who uses a Super C with a lift gate and garage but the living quarters are sparse.
A Toy Hauler trailer ... hmmm...would have to be a bumper pull towed behind a van.
Something to consider.

In a class A toy hauler, look for an 07 or 08 Damon Outlaw on a W24 Workhouse chassis, that will have the 8.1 big block GM engine....OUTLAW
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
msturtz wrote:
Whatever you do I strongly recommend checking with your insurance company. Most personal insurance companies will deny claims if a vehicle is used for business of any kind. Usually you can add a rider to your policy to permit commercial / business use.

This is true. When I started using my truck for occasional business use I had to add a rider. It costs me $15/year.

As far as rig options:

I full timed for 6+ years in a converted Eagle 10 coach. The baggage bays are HUGE. I would imagine if you had a rig like that and pulled your van behind you would likely have plenty of storage for your goods and show gear as well as the mobility to carry goods to the show with ease.

Just a thought:)
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

Lew_Schiller
Explorer
Explorer
okhmbldr wrote:
Lew,
If you do the U-Haul and TT. You could tidy up the truck with a vinyl wrap for the cab and you could attach a large printed vinyl to both sides of the truck, printed with advertising to reflect your business. Anyway, that sounds like a good plan.

I was just in the place where I do my best thinking and vinyl wrap came to mind. Much more cost effective than paint!

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
Lew,
If you do the U-Haul and TT. You could tidy up the truck with a vinyl wrap for the cab and you could attach a large printed vinyl to both sides of the truck, printed with advertising to reflect your business. Anyway, that sounds like a good plan.

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you do I strongly recommend checking with your insurance company. Most personal insurance companies will deny claims if a vehicle is used for business of any kind. Usually you can add a rider to your policy to permit commercial / business use.
FMCA member

Lew_Schiller
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
If you go with any trailer, RV or utility check out the gas powered trailer dollies or trailer tug. That might allow you to drop it and then move it into place. I used an electric one to park on the side of our house and it was a breeze and I could get it into a very tight spot.

Now this is good to know. I've never seen one - didn't know they existed - but in most cases being able to move the trailer independently from the rig in this manner would solve most all access issues.

I've been looking at Toy Haulers and it seems many if not most utilize the cargo bay for beds or lounge because the idea is you get where you're going and unload your toys. In my case that wouldn't work very well.

It may sound sketchier than a Skoolie at a Walmart but really looking at what I need and considering all of the good input here, the best solution would be to buy a 17' U-Haul truck and a Bumper Pull Trailer. Build an "Office" into the front of the box and use the rest for the display and product.

That would provide lodging and local transportation as well as room for the show setup and inventory. The trucks are V-10's usually with +- 95,000 on them for $10,000. Even if it lasted only 2 years replacing it would be easy and less expensive than using up a Class A. The truck could be "tidied up"...paint the cab..nice seats. Build in a quiet generator to run air in back.

The whole thing could be put together for around $35,000.

Lew_Schiller
Explorer
Explorer
Tal/IL wrote:
Many vendors who work the major shooting tournaments across the country spend extended periods on the road and Class A coaches pulling various configurations of vendor trailers are common. One vendor I know has a 40 ft coach pulling a custom vendor trailer that opens up to do business. When traveling, stock and supplies ride in the belly compartments of the coach and a golf cart and mini-Cooper can ride in the trailer.

They used to say a Carny driving a Cadillac towing an Airstream was Top Dog but now it's this ๐Ÿ™‚

nickdarr
Explorer
Explorer
One ton van, E350/3500 type and bumper pull toy hauler for storage space. Just a thought.
Darren, Peggy, two kids, and the Poodle pair
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab PSD
2016 Outdoors Creekside 27DBHS

Y-Guy
If you go with any trailer, RV or utility check out the gas powered trailer dollies or trailer tug. That might allow you to drop it and then move it into place. I used an electric one to park on the side of our house and it was a breeze and I could get it into a very tight spot.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon