cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What did you do to your Class A MH today???

Rich_Panganiban
Explorer
Explorer
This is always a fun thread to watch, so I thought I would start one here.
2007 Jayco Greyhawk - Kodiak 32SS
'00 Subaru Outback Wagon
5,655 REPLIES 5,655

john_and_terry
Explorer
Explorer
wolfman01 wrote:
john and terry wrote:
wolfman01 wrote:
john and terry wrote:
wolfman01 wrote:
I got the TV's installed today. They should have been done yesterday, but I let little stuff get the better of me.

Interesting...I have a similar cabinet that still has the old style TV in it. I was thinking about replacing it with a new flat screen and was thinking a wall mount should be able to attach to the old cabinet...like you did here. Any special tricks or tips to making it work?

Once you get an idea of what you want to do, it is a very straightforward job. When I pulled the rear TV, there was a little angled shelf that it was sitting on. I recycled it into mounting surfaces to fasten the new piece of plywood to it. To make that, I cut the platform down to a couple of 2 or 3 inch blocks, and screwed them to the cabinet in such a manner as to provide a mounting surface for the new piece of plywood. As you can see in the picture, I retained the original padded TV surround to hide the screws, and what would otherwise be a very ugly seam between the old and new material. The smaller TV used a tilt only mount where I eyeballed the desired height. To start, I simply measured the size of the hole for the cabinets, and cut the new boards to fit with a circular saw. I then measured the space between the mount and the edge of the newly cut plywood to insure that it would be as even as possible, and cut a larger hole in the board to pass the power cable and TV antenna cables through. Next step was a liberal application of satin brown spray paint that I had on hand, let it dry and bolt it all together.

The front went together in a similar manner. Its exceptions included splitting a 2x6 piece of lumber in half to use as a mounting surface for the new board in front, and being VERY careful with screw selection to avoid punching holes through the dash and vinyl. I recessed that backing board in 2" into the old TV hole to tuck the new TV as tight as possible against the dash to minimize encroaching on seat access. As the mount for the font TV had to be a different design due to wider bolt placement on the TV, I took two wood screws and partially sunk them into the backing board on opposite sides of the latching mechanism. This was necessary to prevent the TV from sliding side to side. You cannot see these screws at all with the TV in place. That took some very careful measuring to get the desired fit.

Both TV's went up in the equivalent time span of one day. Also, do check to see how your power cords are attached to the TV you are purchasing. The one I bought for the front could not be removed, making for some careful balancing of the TV, mounting board, screws, and power screwdriver. If you ensure that you have removable power cords, you can simply run them through the access hole, and plug them in after mounting the set. I also recommend using 3/4" plywood as I am a firm believer of you cannot have too much strength.

Very instructive...thanks for the tips Wolfman...and nice job!

Thanx. This is the kind of fix up work that I like to do. It makes it even more fun when you have a budget of $0.00 for the job at hand, and you have to improvise to make use of what you have on hand, and STILL make it look like you cared about the job. :B

Sounds VERY familiar...
Full Timing In Our 1996 Winnebago Brave (P30/454)
...Check Out Our Gate Guarding Blog HERE!
TOAD - 2010 Nissan Cube
With 2 Fairly Well Behaved Diggities
Venus And Midnight

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
When/If it stops raining today we will start re-packing the storage bins. In the mean time, re-packing all the inside stuff continues; clothes, dog stuff, bedding, food supplies, . . . . Eight days to go

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
Last night I tore the covers off the generator for a major service. I replaced the v-belt, flushed the cooling system and replaced with Fleetguard ES Compleat OAT coolant, pressure washed the engine. Tonight I am going to adjust the valves and change the oil and clean the carbon out of the exhuast and she should be ready to go for the season. Mike.
2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

wolfman01
Explorer
Explorer
john and terry wrote:
wolfman01 wrote:
john and terry wrote:
wolfman01 wrote:
I got the TV's installed today. They should have been done yesterday, but I let little stuff get the better of me.

Interesting...I have a similar cabinet that still has the old style TV in it. I was thinking about replacing it with a new flat screen and was thinking a wall mount should be able to attach to the old cabinet...like you did here. Any special tricks or tips to making it work?

Once you get an idea of what you want to do, it is a very straightforward job. When I pulled the rear TV, there was a little angled shelf that it was sitting on. I recycled it into mounting surfaces to fasten the new piece of plywood to it. To make that, I cut the platform down to a couple of 2 or 3 inch blocks, and screwed them to the cabinet in such a manner as to provide a mounting surface for the new piece of plywood. As you can see in the picture, I retained the original padded TV surround to hide the screws, and what would otherwise be a very ugly seam between the old and new material. The smaller TV used a tilt only mount where I eyeballed the desired height. To start, I simply measured the size of the hole for the cabinets, and cut the new boards to fit with a circular saw. I then measured the space between the mount and the edge of the newly cut plywood to insure that it would be as even as possible, and cut a larger hole in the board to pass the power cable and TV antenna cables through. Next step was a liberal application of satin brown spray paint that I had on hand, let it dry and bolt it all together.

The front went together in a similar manner. Its exceptions included splitting a 2x6 piece of lumber in half to use as a mounting surface for the new board in front, and being VERY careful with screw selection to avoid punching holes through the dash and vinyl. I recessed that backing board in 2" into the old TV hole to tuck the new TV as tight as possible against the dash to minimize encroaching on seat access. As the mount for the font TV had to be a different design due to wider bolt placement on the TV, I took two wood screws and partially sunk them into the backing board on opposite sides of the latching mechanism. This was necessary to prevent the TV from sliding side to side. You cannot see these screws at all with the TV in place. That took some very careful measuring to get the desired fit.

Both TV's went up in the equivalent time span of one day. Also, do check to see how your power cords are attached to the TV you are purchasing. The one I bought for the front could not be removed, making for some careful balancing of the TV, mounting board, screws, and power screwdriver. If you ensure that you have removable power cords, you can simply run them through the access hole, and plug them in after mounting the set. I also recommend using 3/4" plywood as I am a firm believer of you cannot have too much strength.

Thanx. This is the kind of fix up work that I like to do. It makes it even more fun when you have a budget of $0.00 for the job at hand, and you have to improvise to make use of what you have on hand, and STILL make it look like you cared about the job. :B
2011 Hyundai Accent SE (8k)
1996 Tiffin Allegro Bay 31' ga$$er motorhome (42k)
Bear, my four legged, furry companion.
RVing is an obsession more expensive than drugs. :E

wolfman01
Explorer
Explorer
The new stereo is now up and running.

livingaboard
Explorer
Explorer
ripped out more carpet, started removing stick on vinyl planks that came with rv in kitchen area and started laying down Allure flooring in cherry.
Dave
Everett, WA
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U, F53 Triton V-10
Firestone air bags with Quad control air gauge
Pressure Pro tire pressure monitor
Banks Exhaust
SuperSteer rear trac bar
Olympian Wave heaters (Wall mount and portable)

john_and_terry
Explorer
Explorer
wolfman01 wrote:
john and terry wrote:
wolfman01 wrote:

TOAD - 2010 Nissan Cube
Venus And Midnight

JH_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
wife and I want to upgrade from a 5'ver as we begin our quest for the life of a fulltimer. I would like to know if anyone has developed an annual budget for a class a rig. we are considering Newmar (canyon star). Any information would be appreciated.
2008 Ford F350 Dually (Diesel Powerstroke)
2008 Keystone Fuzion 302 (Fifth Wheel Toyhauler)
Onan Marquis Gold 5500 Genset (in 5'er)
Native MantaRay 11 (angler) Kayak
Native MantaRay 15 Kayak
Beagle "Guard Hound"
US Army Retired Engineer (Airborne)

wolfman01
Explorer
Explorer
john and terry wrote:
wolfman01 wrote:

john_and_terry
Explorer
Explorer
wolfman01 wrote:

TOAD - 2010 Nissan Cube
Venus And Midnight

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Installed the rebuilt bedroom TV cabinet and the new flat screen TV. Just waiting for the new satellite receiver to arrive for the final shelf placement.

Sorted more "stuff" before repacking the basement bins; 10 days before we leave on our 10 month Round North America trip!

Rich_Panganiban
Explorer
Explorer
Suescasa Mycasa wrote:
Friday is one year anniversary of this topic
Happy Birthday

That's true! +2 on the Happy B-Day : )
2007 Jayco Greyhawk - Kodiak 32SS
'00 Subaru Outback Wagon

Suescasa_Mycasa
Explorer
Explorer
Friday is one year anniversary of this topic
Happy Birthday
2003 Travel Supreme Select 45'
ISM 500 Oh Myyyyyyyyyy
2003 Yamaha V Star 1100
Joeylift motorcycle lift
rollin rollin rollin... keep those doggies rollin

wolfman01
Explorer
Explorer

Tomorrow I'll tackle the stereo and dash HVAC. I did find out that the pushbuttons for the dash HVAC are working. I have no fan. As I found evidence of rats looking for a place to call home at one time behind the dash, I can guess as to why the fan doesn't work. Hopefully the damage will be easy to reach.

Oh, and I also installed new house batteries yesterday. I found one hissing a couple of days ago, and they were a mismatched pair.

EDIT: The cup holder is not mounted to the top of the dash as of yet. I haven't decided if I want to relocate it to that spot or not. It will no longer fit on the doghouse and still be useful due to the need to mount the new LCD TV in front of the old cubby.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
BigRabbitMan wrote:
Put two nuts on the exhaust manifold/pipe flange bolt that had lost it's nuts! Hopefully they will stay this time.

Also attached and old car mount stand for a Nokia bag phone to the side of the driver seat stand with an adjustable cup holder on the business end. Now I can position my cup exactly where I want it.

My wife took me to the vet and made mine inoperative.