cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you use for surge protection?

synergy_58
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for a good surge protector, portable maybe, and have seen The Surge Guard and Progressive Industries. Which do you use and why?
[img/Users/Frank/Pictures/iPhoto Library_2/Originals/2014/Apr 2, 2014/2009_1306_Nav_BlueMoon.jpg[img]
44 REPLIES 44

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
synergy_58 wrote:
Okay, so as I understand this whole thing, with my limited knowledge of electrical terminology and hands-on, instead of wiring the EMS unit (30A for me too) at the end of the main power cord, like i see most people are doing in the few illustrations on-line, I need to find the transfer switch (no idea where its at or what it looks like) and then hard wire the EMS between the switch and the generator. Will I be able to determine the current flow easily? between the switch and genny I mean?
and so doing it this way, I leave the transfer switch unprotected, meaning that this switch could become damaged. How vulnerable is this switch to things like low current, spikes in current, or the nuteral condition, things that the EMS protects against?

are there any illustrations that you know of which shows the installation process for this procedure, between the switch and genny, on-line? This would help me out a lot.

Thanks!

You do not want to install between the generator and switch. Protection goes just before the breaker panel.

Cord----> Transfer switch ----> Surge protector ----> Breaker panel
Generator----^

If your RV uses the cord to plug into the generator then you have no switch because you are the switch.

Easiest IMO is remove the main romex from the breaker panel (hot,neutral&ground). Connect this romex to the Surge protector input. Get a new piece of romex (proper size) and connect the output of the protector to the breaker panel where the oem wire was removed. This will allow you to remove the protector and restore the RV back to original configuration if you decide to sell and take the protector with you.

The transfer switch is more likely to create an issue than to be harmed by something else. Better to be protected from the switch than worry about protecting the switch.

Yes the remote display will show voltage and amperes flowing into the RV.

synergy_58
Explorer
Explorer
sljkansas wrote:
I have the P I 50amp EMS portable unit. It has saved my but several times over the 5 years I have had it. Voltage dropped to 104 VAC one night just before we went to bed. A few minutes later voltage dropped to 76 VAC. (power company was having a problem. Power was restored about 3 hour later. It was in the heat of the summer, and I had both AC units running, Without the EMS I most likely been replacing both AC units.

I did have to send My PI back to the manufacture once because it stopped working. They repaired it and shipped it back at no cost to me.

PI has a life time warranty, Surge guard has 1 year. I also have the PI cheater box, and haven't had a problem with it.

PI cheater box?
[img/Users/Frank/Pictures/iPhoto Library_2/Originals/2014/Apr 2, 2014/2009_1306_Nav_BlueMoon.jpg[img]

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Crabbypatty wrote:
I have been rving for 10 years, through blackouts etc never a problem. Am I lucky? Why spend 2-$400+ pesos when you can buy a "whole house" Intermatic surge suppressor from your home center for half that. Why would an Intermatic Surge Suppressor like the one I added to my home panel work any different than these expensive rv ones? Now with a new TT and Im starting to install "toys" I was going to wire up an Intermatic. Thoughts??
Is it just spike protection? Or does it verify polarity and monitor ground connection and voltage? Will it not connect power when you plug your 30a RV into 240v?

If it does all that for half price... go for it.

synergy_58
Explorer
Explorer
cochise49 wrote:
Progressive Industries 50 amp portable. Replaced the TRC model I left on top of the pedestal in Las Vegas. Bought the portable because, wasn't sure how long we would keep the rig. 2 years later, bought a new rig. When I forget this one or it fails, I'll have one hardwired as this is our last RV. Don't know which brand is better because, thankfully, no problems with either. Had a surge before using protection. All covered by insurance or warranty but problems kept reoccurring many years later. Three Transfer switches, Fridge, microwave,GFCIs.......

I can see that, with a portable unit, should one change RV's, the protector could go with you, from RV to RV.
I absolutley love my Navion, I might find a newer, nicer Navion one day, but not likely. IDK, the hard-wired units seem to look easy to install and this would free me up from the worry of someone stealing the protable off the pole, or me leaving it behind, which is a big concern for me.

Insurance will cover damage? What kind of insurance is this, if you don't mind?
I'm so new to this RV scene really. I've had a few TT's, a class B, pop-up, a TC and a modified Sprinter van. But, this Navion is sooooo nice, and I want to take good care of it and enjoy it for years. I need to know more about this and that, and insurance for repairs seems reasonable, I guess.

Thanks!

DaCrema
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 30amp portable that I picked up at the LD factory. It helped once in the two years I have owned it. I was setting up at a campground in FL or GA and it did not like the power at the post (gave a low voltage alarm). I moved to another site and told the camp site. (yes I did mention the problem at the first site).

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
smkettner wrote:

This is the one I've got. I would get the same if buying again today.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

synergy_58
Explorer
Explorer
RvBill3 wrote:
smkettner wrote:
synergy_58 wrote:
Can you explain what you mean by "having it wired after the transfer switch, please.
Thanks!

Do you have an on-board generator and transfer switch?

"After the switch" just means to add the protector between the switch and the main distribution panel.

Install is very straight forward.

x2

With an onboard generator, there is a switch than changes from shore power to generator. Whenever the generator is on, it favors that over shore power. By placing the Energy Management System after the transfer switch the MH is protected whether you are using shore power or generator as your source of 110v power. My switch is under the bed, so I put the unit there and the remote display by the power distribution panel, which is on the front face of the bed. (The display also has a bypass switch should you ever need to bypass the EMS). Since the display also shows things like amps being used, it is helpful to know when you are approaching the max amps your MH can handle (30 in my case).

BTW, I realize the one unprotected electrical component in the MH is the transfer switch. I'll take that chance in favor of having the generator power source also protected.

Okay, so as I understand this whole thing, with my limited knowledge of electrical terminology and hands-on, instead of wiring the EMS unit (30A for me too) at the end of the main power cord, like i see most people are doing in the few illustrations on-line, I need to find the transfer switch (no idea where its at or what it looks like) and then hard wire the EMS between the switch and the generator. Will I be able to determine the current flow easily? between the switch and genny I mean?
and so doing it this way, I leave the transfer switch unprotected, meaning that this switch could become damaged. How vulnerable is this switch to things like low current, spikes in current, or the nuteral condition, things that the EMS protects against?

are there any illustrations that you know of which shows the installation process for this procedure, between the switch and genny, on-line? This would help me out a lot.

Thanks!

synergy_58
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
synergy_58 wrote:
Can you explain what you mean by "having it wired after the transfer switch, please.
Thanks!

"After the switch" just means to add the protector between the switch and the main distribution panel.

Hm? Okay. Yes, I have a diesel generator. But not sure about the switch.

cochise49
Explorer
Explorer
Progressive Industries 50 amp portable. Replaced the TRC model I left on top of the pedestal in Las Vegas. Bought the portable because, wasn't sure how long we would keep the rig. 2 years later, bought a new rig. When I forget this one or it fails, I'll have one hardwired as this is our last RV. Don't know which brand is better because, thankfully, no problems with either. Had a surge before using protection. All covered by insurance or warranty but problems kept reoccurring many years later. Three Transfer switches, Fridge, microwave,GFCIs.......
Bev& Keith
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake

sljkansas
Explorer
Explorer
double posted.
Steve & Linda
Son married (1 DIL, 3 granddaughters 1 grandson)
Daughter Married.
Miami Co. Kansas
2004 F350 CC dually 8ft bed 6.0 PSD
2009 Bighorn 3670RL
B&W under bed hitch with 18k companion hitch

sljkansas
Explorer
Explorer
I have the P I 50amp EMS portable unit. It has saved my but several times over the 5 years I have had it. Voltage dropped to 104 VAC one night just before we went to bed. A few minutes later voltage dropped to 76 VAC. (power company was having a problem. Power was restored about 3 hour later. It was in the heat of the summer, and I had both AC units running, Without the EMS I most likely been replacing both AC units.

I did have to send My PI back to the manufacture once because it stopped working. They repaired it and shipped it back at no cost to me.

PI has a life time warranty, Surge guard has 1 year. I also have the PI cheater box, and haven't had a problem with it.
Steve & Linda
Son married (1 DIL, 3 granddaughters 1 grandson)
Daughter Married.
Miami Co. Kansas
2004 F350 CC dually 8ft bed 6.0 PSD
2009 Bighorn 3670RL
B&W under bed hitch with 18k companion hitch

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another vote for PI. I bought the 30 amp portable model for use with the Minnie.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
I have been rving for 10 years, through blackouts etc never a problem. Am I lucky? Why spend 2-$400+ pesos when you can buy a "whole house" Intermatic surge suppressor from your home center for half that. Why would an Intermatic Surge Suppressor like the one I added to my home panel work any different than these expensive rv ones? Now with a new TT and Im starting to install "toys" I was going to wire up an Intermatic. Thoughts??
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

RvBill3
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
synergy_58 wrote:
Thanks!

x2

With an onboard generator, there is a switch than changes from shore power to generator. Whenever the generator is on, it favors that over shore power. By placing the Energy Management System after the transfer switch the MH is protected whether you are using shore power or generator as your source of 110v power. My switch is under the bed, so I put the unit there and the remote display by the power distribution panel, which is on the front face of the bed. (The display also has a bypass switch should you ever need to bypass the EMS). Since the display also shows things like amps being used, it is helpful to know when you are approaching the max amps your MH can handle (30 in my case).

BTW, I realize the one unprotected electrical component in the MH is the transfer switch. I'll take that chance in favor of having the generator power source also protected.
2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy

Blackcell
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Progressive Industries.......
LIFETIME Warranty on ALL EMS & SSP Units

I have the EMS-PT50C Portable LINK

X2. I chose this one because many full-timers use it so I figured it would be more than adequate for me ;).
2009 Carriage Cameo 35SB3, 12.4K dry, 36' Fiver
2012 F350 6.7L 4x4 Lariat Ultimate FX4, Chrome package, Nav, SRW, CC, LB, 11.5K GVWR, 3.55 ELA, 20" wheels, Toyo AT II, Mor/ryde pin box, Husky 26K hitch
United States Navy Combat Veteran