cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between chassis

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I are looking at class A diesel pushers. The one we seem to keep coming back to is the Newmar Dutchstar. The Dutchstar is offered two ways, either the Spartan chassis or the Freightliner chassis.

I've done a bit of Googling but have not found a comparison between the two, since Newmar offers both, I figure there is a good reason, I'm trying to understand that reason.

Anyone have insight?
13 REPLIES 13

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
buta4 wrote:
Above was mentioned a "steer tag axle". What is it? :@

Exactly what it says, a tag axle that also turns.

This Video shows a great example.

Thank you Bruce for the comeback and video. Now I can sleep at night. I didn't know they had those on rigs. Way cool.
Ray

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
boshog wrote:
The problem with Google searches is you come across a lot of information from what appears to be reasonably credible sources but often the review or article isn’t dated.

From my research, I picked up that Spartan was a better choice at one time. I also picked up on Freightliner being good. But without dated sources, the choice between the two was somewhat fuzzy. For example, the link that jplante provided was from 2007, at least it had a date ?.

I will compare the features of each offering and the one that caters us the best is the direction I will go. A $400K investment isn’t something I want to hastily make so thank you, everyone, for your information. I feel a lot better and more confident, knowledge is power.

I hate to throw a klinker in the mix but have your considered a Prevost? The Prevost chassis is considered a 'multl-million-mile-chassis'. They have real reinforced front and rear bumpers and extremely robust suspensions, airbags, etc.

Your budget will get you in the 2004-2006 depending on the converter and it will probably have 2 slides.

Just a thought.
Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Bruce_Brown
buta4 wrote:

Exactly what it says, a tag axle that also turns.

This Video shows a great example.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a Spartan and currently have a Freightliner...both are fine. It's the old Chevy vs Ford debate.
2014 American Eagle

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
Ray

Bruce_Brown
PastorCharlie wrote:
Ask Newmar why they offer the 2 different chassis.. It may be a bottom line decision.

Last I knew you could choose either chassis with no change in $$$, so it's not a bottom line issue.

A few years ago a friend of mine, who rides on a Spartan chassis, was discussing how much Freightliner had stepped engineering and manufacturing. His thought was, at that time, Frightliner had moved to the top.

That was then, I have no idea what Spartan has done since then, but I'd bet they too improved as well.

In this case there is no wrong answer, IMO.
Bruce & Jill Brown

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
smlranger wrote:
You can go on the Freightliner and Spartan websites and check the specs for those chassis. In previous years there were some differences that IMO swung the advantage to Spartan. In recent years, for all but the most diehard hair splitters, either chassis is fine. Both of them now offer passive steer tag axles and it seems FL has some growing pains related to that.

One very high end coach builder, Foretravel, has recently stopped making its own chassis and now uses a Spartan with some special mods just for them. Not sure if that is based on Foretravel's feeling that Spartan is really better or the fact that Spartan was more willing to do something special for Foretravel.

In the end, you need to drive coaches with both and see if you notice differences that would sway your decision.

I will answer the Foretravel question. It was because they make so few chassis to get them thru emissions and cummins certification is super expensive if you have only a few units to spread it over. I would one a new one, either will be fine.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
Ask Newmar why they offer the 2 different chassis.. It may be a bottom line decision.

I did, the answer was a no answer type answer. They are simply supplying what customers are asking for. Before I posted here, I did all the logical approaches and searches. I went to each of the manufacturer's sites and read the value adds and feature, watch their Youtube videos as well as RV dealer overviews. Nothing specific stood out.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with Google searches is you come across a lot of information from what appears to be reasonably credible sources but often the review or article isn’t dated.

From my research, I picked up that Spartan was a better choice at one time. I also picked up on Freightliner being good. But without dated sources, the choice between the two was somewhat fuzzy. For example, the link that jplante provided was from 2007, at least it had a date ?.

I will compare the features of each offering and the one that caters us the best is the direction I will go. A $400K investment isn’t something I want to hastily make so thank you, everyone, for your information. I feel a lot better and more confident, knowledge is power.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
If you google Frieghtliner vs. spartan chassis, you'll get about a hundred links, mostly to forums like this. I didn't see any official "study" except this from LazyDays.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Bruce_Brown
This is a bit of a Ford/Chevy debate.

Our last MH was on a Freightliner, our current MH is on a Spartan. Both have served us well.

I think if I were buying today I'd lean more to the Freightliner simply for more service centers nationwide. With that said, the few warranty service items (very minor) we've needed on our Spartan, we paid for and Spartan reimbursed us without any issue.

Our Freightliner never needed any type of warranty service.

Nice choice in a MH too, BTW.
Bruce & Jill Brown

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
You can go on the Freightliner and Spartan websites and check the specs for those chassis. In previous years there were some differences that IMO swung the advantage to Spartan. In recent years, for all but the most diehard hair splitters, either chassis is fine. Both of them now offer passive steer tag axles and it seems FL has some growing pains related to that.

One very high end coach builder, Foretravel, has recently stopped making its own chassis and now uses a Spartan with some special mods just for them. Not sure if that is based on Foretravel's feeling that Spartan is really better or the fact that Spartan was more willing to do something special for Foretravel.

In the end, you need to drive coaches with both and see if you notice differences that would sway your decision.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA