cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is this and how can I get it to stop leaking?

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
So today I was messing with my Water heater trying to get it to fire up and I pulled on what appears to be some sort of pressure relief inside this compartment. So I opened it up and flowed some water and now it wont stop leaking. Do I need to replace this or is there some way to get it to stop. I would assume it's probably got some serious calcium deposits or something and not allowing it to close all the way. Any ideas? Is this a DIY fix? Looks like it would just twist off...

2007 Forest River Georgetown 350 DS SE Bunk Model Class A V10
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 ADV Bike
MotoJug Motorcycle Hydration System

20 REPLIES 20

OnaQuest
Explorer
Explorer
Open it up and let it snap shut a couple times. This will usually clear anything that may have gotten in the valve seat to make it leak. If it continues to leak, just replace it.

danager
Explorer
Explorer
If it started leaking on its own, I would recommend replacing it. Because you opened the valve and now it continues to leak a bit, this may not be as serious.

You could try this absolutely FREE procedure.

Take a pair of needle nose players and push in on the stem that was pulled out when you flipped the lever up.

LongWeekends
Explorer
Explorer
As others said, a pressure relief valve. Typically if it is leaking, it is on its way out. It is an inexpensive but very important safety feature. It it were me, I would replace it and not worry about fixing it.
Michael
Just me, my wife, our daughter and our two big, hairy Goldens.

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
Most home P&T valves are 3/4"NPT while all the RV ones have been 1/2" NPT
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Pressure relief valve...very important safety feature.

Try this first:

Water Heater Air Pocket
Shut off the water supply, open the relief valve until water stop coming out, close it, turn the water supply back on.
This will reestablish the air pocket in the water heater, giving the water some place to expand to when it is heated.

If this doesn't work, replace the valve...very simple. Home Depot, Lowes. a wrench and some teflon tape on the treads.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

wkswenson
Explorer
Explorer
Pressure Relief valve

1. Try opening and closing it to clear it out (might just be some junk stuck in the valve.
2. Check temps if it only leaks when hot - could be either worn out or running too hot.
3. Replace - RV Dealer or Lowes/Home Depot should have one.
Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
2011 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7 CTD DRW CC LB
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"