cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What roof material do I have. EPDM or TPO

LaPlaya
Explorer
Explorer
Can you tell me what roofing material I have ? Not having an owners manual or any reference material is proving very difficult for me. I am trying to determine which roofing material I have so I make sure that I buy the correct cleaning supplies and caulking and sealing products. I have a 2001 Fleetwod Flair 31A on the Ford Triton V10 chassis. I have pulled down the ceiling vent trim ring hoping that I would find the roofing material wrapped around and stapled to the roof, but no luck they obviously took a shortcut and just cut around the ceiling vent opening at the roof. If the roofing had of been done properly and brought through the opening and trimmed and stapled there, I could have pulled a few staples and checked the backing to know if it is a EPDM or TPO material. I want to clean the roof and re seal around the vents and other things on the roof. That old caulking up there is looking very brittle and is probably the original 12 year old caulking. Thanks. Bill
2001 Fleetwood Flair 31A
13 REPLIES 13

fritzrs
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new RV with TPO-plastic (not EPDM-rubber) roof. Here's what I've learned about TPO-plastic...

TPO is ThermoPlastic Olefin (Dicor calls it Brite-TEK)
TPO is a plastic derivative, with all positives and negatives that implies.
TPO comes with or without fleece backing.
Never use Acetone or Citrus Cleaners on TPO.
A soft bristle brush may be used during cleaning.
TPO Repair:
Do NOT use silicone sealant - it will not adhere to TPO plastic.
Do NOT use cleaners or conditioners containing petroleum solvents, harsh abrasives, or citric-based cleaners.
Clean TPO lap sealant: If soap and water do not clean the sealant to your satisfaction, use a cloth dampened with mineral spirits to wipe away dirt build-up on the seal. Rinse off mineral spirits with fresh water.
Repair TPO lap sealant: Use a cloth dampened with mineral spirits to eliminate all foreign materials from surface of sealant, let dry for at least 15 minutes and apply a TPO lap sealant directly over the existing sealant – allow new sealant to touch both TPO and accessory surface.
Cleaning Mold-Mildew* from TPO:
Bucket of water, Sponge, Medium Bristle Brush, TILEX Bathroom Cleaner
*Mold and mildew on your TPO roof is simply a parasite that attaches itself to the roof and grows. It does not attack the TPO membrane but is unsightly and if allowed to grow will discolor the roof completely and may become a stain that cannot be removed.
Note: Removal of mold and mildew is not a job to be rushed. Go slow...

TPO-plastic has more thermal expansion than EPDM-rubber, says Dicor’s Gregg Fore. That means TPO is not as pliable as EPDM. There are weight differences, TPO is about half the weight of EPDM. You save about one pound-per-lineal-foot, which translates into gas savings on the road.
The consumer should plan on checking the TPO sealant a couple times a year (every spring and every fall).
Cleaning: Nothing stronger than Murphy’s® Oil Soap should be used on a TPO RV roof.
RVing since 1975... All Who Wander Are Not Lost...
2014 Minnie Winnie, GM Chassis w/Allison 6spd
2010 Jeep Wrangler, Toad w/canoe

LaPlaya
Explorer
Explorer
I figured it out. I have a TPO roof. Now to research on how to clean and maintain it.

Thanks to all who replied.

Bill
2001 Fleetwood Flair 31A

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
LaPlaya wrote:
Thanks for all the great info, however I am still not sure which roofing material I have ..

Fleetwood switched to TPO in 1996 on all but their high end coaches which are fiberglass. Prior to that they used EPDM.
TPO does not sluff off like EPDM, which leds me to believe the streaking is not from the roof, but rather the oxidation of the finish on the front cap, be it gelcoat or paint.
TPO and EPDM were developed as roofing materials for flat roofs and was first used on commercial buildings.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

LaPlaya
Explorer
Explorer
Actually I don't have any black streaks, but I do have the grey/white streaks running down the windshield. I am constantly cleaning that windshield to get rid of the streaking.
2001 Fleetwood Flair 31A

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
TPO is hard and shiny. EPDM is softer and spongier
Got any black streaks on the sides? EPDM. .
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

LaPlaya
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great info, however I am still not sure which roofing material I have ..
2001 Fleetwood Flair 31A

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is by far the best article I have read on roof care:

Keep in mind that your roof does NOT have to look like an operating room at the hospital! It functions quite well with a few spots or a pluthera of stains!

From "mydrv.net" One of the better articles I've ever found regarding EDPM and TPO roofing!

"This article will focus on two types of roofing materials – EPDM and TPO. The two leading distributors of these rubber roof systems are Dicor Corporation and Alpha Systems, both located in Elkhart, Indiana.

EPDM stands for Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer. This type of rubber roofing membrane is made to last 20 years and has a 10 to 12 year guarantee, depending on the brand. EPDM is one of the most versatile and long lasting materials ever manufactured for outdoor exposure. Most RV industry experts consider EPDM the most dependable, most cost effective and easiest to maintain roofing material. EPDM is described as “ideal for outdoor applications because of its excellent resistance to ultra-violet light, ozone, oxidants and severe weather conditions”. EPDM roofing membrane oxidizes slowly. In a dozen years it may only oxidize 10% of its thickness. This oxidation is what causes the white-gray or gray streaks that run down the sides of RV’s – especially in heavy dew or light rain. EPDM also becomes very slippery when wet.

TPO – Thermal Poly Olefin – was introduced to the RV and Marine Industries in 1994. It is resistant to algae, mold, fungus, and other biological agents. The chemistry of TPO allows for no chalk residue or degradation of the membrane through its useful life. The TPO membranes are non-skid when wet and therefore are used frequently as floor covering in the pontoon boat industry as well. The chemical additives used in TPO for protection from UV light are not self-sacrificing. Instead, they operate in a regenerative fashion as they interfere with the degradation reactions that occur from UV light exposure. Some features of TPO are the advanced polymer technology, weight reduction and easy installation due to its soft and pliable nature. TPO carriers a 12 year manufacturers’ warranty.

There are different opinions when it comes to cleaning and protecting rubber roofs, but everyone agrees that EPDM’s solvent and oil resistance is poor. Care and maintenance instructions from both manufacturers have the following warning: “DO NOT use cleaners or conditioners containing petroleum solvents, harsh abrasives or Citric based cleaners. You may cause irreparable damage to your roof”

The percentage of petroleum distillates doesn’t matter. THERE IS NO LEVEL OF PETROLEUM DISTILLATES THAT IS RECOMMENDED. Laboratory tests conducted evaluated the effect of a leading RV ‘roof treatment’ product on EPDM roofing membrane using standard sunlamp and immersion testing procedures. The ‘roof treatment’, which contained petroleum distillates, caused a 63% mass change (swelling). Petroleum distillates soak in and cause the adhesive to loosen and the membrane to balloon. Then, when the ballooning goes down, the rubber roof may never again adhere properly or completely. Don’t be fooled by names such as “organic solvent”, “hydrocarbon carrier”, etc. Petroleum distillates by any name should NEVER be applied to EPDM. If you aren’t sure about a product, contact the manufacturer and request a copy of the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). Look under the section entitled “Hazardous Ingredients”. If it lists any petroleum distillates, do not use it on EPDM.

To maintain your warranty, all that is required is periodic cleaning at least 3 to 4 times per year. What you use is wide open as long as it does not contain petroleum distillates, harsh abrasives, or delaminane (citrus based cleaners). Dicor recommends a non-abrasive type cleaner such as RC 100TM, Borax or DawnTM and a medium to stiff brush. Alpha Systems recommends using a household cleaner such as CometTM, Spic-N-SpanTM, Ajax TM, etc. They say to use a medium-bristled scrub brush in place of a sponge because the EPDM rubber roofing material is not smooth like fiberglass. For more stubborn stains, i.e. oak leaves, pine sap, mold or mildew, the use of a kitchen cleanser with bleach, such as TilexTM or Soft ScrubTM can help. Monoethalomine is also very effective, non-abrasive and minimizes the effort in removing oxidation, pitch, sap, mold and mildew, as well as berry stains from birds and trees. A quick rinse with chlorine (bleach) is necessary to kill the mildew spores and retard their regrowth. Caution should be exercised when washing your roof to prevent cleaners from running down the sides since this could cause streaking. Always pre rinse your RV sides before you rinse your roof. On TPO roofing, Alpha Systems suggests using Murphy’s Oil SoapTM with a soft nylon brush or sponge. DO NOT USE SOLID OR GRANULATED CLEANERS on TPO, AS THEY WILL MAR THE NATURAL FINISH. A good thorough cleaning with some elbow grease, along with the oil soap should keep your roof looking good and remove most stains. Again, any non-granulated, non-abrasive cleaner may be used as long as it does not contain petroleum distillates or delaminane (citrus).

Protecting rubber roofs is s topic of great debate. Per Dicor’s web site, “the guarantee does not require the use of any protective ‘roof treatment’ or ‘roof protector’ product and recommends only cleaning”. This is consistent with both Dicor and Alpha Systems. However, Dicor states that when the roof no longer looks good to “clean the area and treat it with a product that will repel soiling and is safe for EPDM”. Both Dicor and Alpha Systems stated that they have never had issue with any protectant provided that it contained NO PETROLEUM DISTILLATES."

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
harold1946 wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
Call Fleetwood and ask them. They have been very helpful to me. My 05 is TP0, but it was not as common back then.

I disagree that they are treated the same. My rubber roof mfgr said to use Spic and Span while the TPO folks said to use Murphys Oil Soap. Nither will do any harm and both are recomended for use on TPO or EPDM.

TPO is very tolerant to petroleates compared to EPDM.

Yes but both can and will destroy both types. Why take the chance when it's easily avoided?

You need to do some research. TPO is used on Destroyer decks and pontoon boats and will completely withstand prolonged direct contact with gasoline or alcohol that would melt a rubber roof.

I don't think so. Try walking on wet TPO or EPDM on a rocking boat.
Also nither TPO nor EPDM are made of rubber, they are sinthetics.
Harold and Linda
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
I think TPO is EDPM but with a coating on it. I clean mine with water and a soft brush.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
harold1946 wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
Call Fleetwood and ask them. They have been very helpful to me. My 05 is TP0, but it was not as common back then.

I disagree that they are treated the same. My rubber roof mfgr said to use Spic and Span while the TPO folks said to use Murphys Oil Soap. Nither will do any harm and both are recomended for use on TPO or EPDM.

Yes but both can and will destroy both types. Why take the chance when it's easily avoided?

You need to do some research. TPO is used on Destroyer decks and pontoon boats and will completely withstand prolonged direct contact with gasoline or alcohol that would melt a rubber roof.

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:

I have never heard of "petroleates", is this some new chemical?
Harold and Linda
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II

I disagree that they are treated the same. My rubber roof mfgr said to use Spic and Span while the TPO folks said to use Murphys Oil Soap.

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
Both are handled the same, just stay away from any cleaning products which contain petrolium distillates or citric acid.
Dicor sealing products are safe for both as well as Eternabond tape.
Stay away from solicone products.

Be sure to clean the areas to be resealed with denatured alcohol or mineral spirits and dry thoroughly before applying a sealent
Harold and Linda
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad