cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what suspension mods to do first??

hildrethvi
Explorer
Explorer
There are many suspension/handling mods out there. How to decide which ones to do first - which has the most bang for the buck. Just bought a 1999 33' Holiday Rambler gasser - shocks? sway bars? sumo springs, Bilsteins?? Talking alot of money here and do not want to try to reinvent the wheel - would love suggestions on what worked, what to do first, and what was not spending money on - many thanks
8 REPLIES 8

hildrethvi
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of great info - much appreciated. I will find a shop in W. North Carolina to check alignment, balance tires. Have checked tire pressure - (80psi) then we will see how that works out before moving on to the things that cost $$$ - not afraid to spend $$ to get results just do not want to spend money that does not help - Much thanks to al that posted!!

hildrethvi
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry - forgot the obvious - it is a Ford v10 f53

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
List potential changes out by price and if you can do the work yourself rather than taking the coach to a shop. Something like this-

Coach weight and tire pressure - $10/DIY
Replace rear sway bar bushings - $50/DIY
Cheap Handling Fix - $0/DIY
Wheel balancing - $50/Shop
Alignment - $150/Shop
Koni Shocks - $450/Shop
Safety T Plus - $500/Shop
Rear Trac Bar - $500/Shop
Sumo Springs (single axle) - $600/Shop
Airbags - $600/Shop

Work thru your list low to high cost making a single change and then drive the coach in as many different road, weather, loading,,, conditions as possible to determine if the coach performs to YOUR satisfaction. The more you drive the better you can assess the change. And by more I mean several hundred if not thousand miles. Something as simple as proper tire pressure, sway bar bushings and an alignment might be all you need to get the coach to perform as you want it too.

For my coach (2006 F53) the lowest cost changes had the largest effect and the associated bang for the buck. Correct tire pressure, rear bushings and CHF. Probably could have stopped there but couldn't help myself. Koni shocks were next in terms of effect followed by the rear track bar. The airbags didn't do much with regards to ride comfort but they also helped regain axle ride height after loading.

And somewhat related - Chassis and RV service center labor rates can be high, as in the $100+ an hour range, so expanding your mechanical skills and tool inventory will go a long way towards reducing the overall cost of ownership. Lots of information regarding anything you may want to do on the coach from resealing the roof seams, replacing the fridge to doing a transmission fluid flush. These things are not that difficult to maintain just a bit intimidating for some do to the size and weight but if you can memorize "lefty loosey, righty tighty" you just passed the entry exam to the RV University.

Good luck.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would start with a wheel alignment and COMPLETE examination to determine what suspension parts are worn before I started looking for add-on parts.
After the alignment have the coach weighed and set your tire pressure according to your fully LOADED weight.
Then you should drive it and see if you really need any suspension enhancements.

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
I would start with installation of Koni FSD shocks then install a Davis Tru-Trak bar on front suspension and see how that works for you.

Koni's are a bit pricey but I found them well worth the cost when I installed them on our coach.

Best of luck and Safe Travels.....
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your HR is on a Ford F53 chassis, the "CHF" (Cheap Handling Fix) would be the first, and least expensive, place to start. A search on the forum will turn up lots of info.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chevy or Ford. Does it have new tires. What is it doing going down the road. Have you weight it the way you would travel. Old tires can make it ride like a wagon on steel wheels.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
What suspension and handling issues concern you?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad