cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wheel Lugs

Card35
Explorer
Explorer
New to Class C Traveling/Camping. Purchased a new JAYCO 31F, and Dealer kept emphasizing the importance of using a torque wrench frequently on lug nuts. Have done a lot of traveling over the years in various size 5th wheels. Did monitor lug nuts occasionally, but not to the extreme the dealer was suggesting. How often do Class C owners actually check and torque? Thanks for any help...
AF Ret & Enjoyin
2005 Cardinal 33TS/LX
2005 GMC 3500CC Dually 8.1/Allison
RDS 51g Fuel/ToolBox Combo
17 REPLIES 17

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Take some red (or whatever color you prefer) nail polish, and dab a drop on the lug nut where it's against the wheel, after properly torquing. If the nut moves, the nail polish will shatter (it being lacquer). Alternative to THIS.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I check mine often after a wheel has been reinstalled, but not with a torque wrench. Every 3rd or 4th trip I guess would be my routine.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I generally do the start of the season and any time I, or someone else, has removed or replaced a wheel for whatever reason (suspension/brake work for instance). Sometimes the start of the season one gets omitted. Tire pressure gets checked far more frequently.

As I understand it, they particularly want checks when the vehicle is very new to ensure that things don't get loose as they work into position or something roughly along those lines. In any case, it's not too hard to go around with a torque wrench and give each lug nut a push until it clicks. I think they recommend checking a bit more frequently when the vehicle is quite new, maybe?