cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are front seams on a cabover Class C? How to inspect?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering a Class C. After reading many topics here and other boards, about water leaks, from both NEW and USED rigs, we are very concerned.

Where on the roof can I see/find the seam so many speak of? I have looked at a 2008 Winnie with a fiberglass roof and could not find a seam near the cabover. I also have look at other models with rubber roof and did not find a seam near the cabover.

What am I missing?

Also, some Class C's have a front fiberglass cap that goes over the top of roof a foot or so. There a seam can be found...where cap meets rubber roof? Example 2011 Fleetwood Jamboree Sport 31M. This is the floor plan we like and are considering. We are also looking at a 2008 Winnie Access 29T with fiberglass roof but no fiberglass cap.

WE really like the floor plan offered by the C (great for our kids), but not sure if we should consider an A to avoid all this scary roof leak stuff; especially MOLD!!!!!!!! I do not want to expose my family to MOLD.

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
4 REPLIES 4

tgdameron
Explorer
Explorer
I am not aware of any diagrams or images. The best way to check is to go up on the roof of the coach and look at all the seams carefully. While you are up there check all the openings such as the vents, sewer vent, skylight and TV antenna. If you see screw heads or bolt heads protruding through the sealant then the dealer should address those issues. The folks building Thor Class C's are entry level factory assemblers from the looks of my coach. With regards to Thor it is a "Buyer Beware" company and requires your Quality Control Check before taking delivery. Point out all problems and let the dealer fix them before you give them your money.
Tom Dameron
2016 Renegade Verona, Freightliner M2, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
tgdameron.....Some good images with diagrams of where to check for leaks as stated in your posts would be GREAT! Have you seen any on this forum or somewhere else. Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words!

navegator....not sure if the two models I am looking at have this frame you speak of. How can I check? The Fleetwood website has no access to brochures for older than current models. Winnie does so I will check it.
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Buy one that has a metal frame that encompases the house part and extends to the cab over and has diagonal bracess to help support the wheight and vibration of the extended portion.

We have a Coachmen and has a steel frame, on some nights when there is dew I can see where the frame is, this helped me when I installed a gravity water feed for the potable water tank, and the CB antena, I avoided cutting the frame portion or drilling though it.

We do not have leaks, 2001 model this year I will be cleaning and reasealing the seams, marker lights and inspecting the windows.

navegator

tgdameron
Explorer
Explorer
If you look at where the Ford/Chevy cab ends and the fiberglass coach body begins this is the seam area. In my case, a Thor Chateau 31A bunkhouse, the rubber roof meets up to the fiberglass cap. There is lap sealant covering the trim. The edges have a plastic molding running down the fiberglass cap. Here's what to check.

1. The lap sealant has no holes or bubbles and extends beyond the seam in the front and back of the trim.
2. The running lights have silicone sealant around them. (Mine had gaps and holes in the sealant and the running light lens cover gasket was no existent). I fixed them and checked them by washing them and observing that no moisture formed on the inside of the lens.
3. A good bead of silicone sealant is around the top and side window frame of the overhead window.
4. A good bead of silicone sealant round the trim of the fiberglass front cap.

I live in AZ so the sun does more damage than water. But it does rain occasionally. So proper maintenance and inspection will always be required.
Tom Dameron
2016 Renegade Verona, Freightliner M2, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee