cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where would you mount CB antenna on Class C

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
I want to put my old CB into the cab of my Class C. I have a mag mount, but the hood is fiberglass along with the top. Where on earth would you put it. I see they make hood mounts, but wouldn't the signal to the rear be poor? Plus, I would have to buy an stick antenna.
52 REPLIES 52

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
I received the Firestik FS 3ft antenna. Wow! made a big difference in the SWR match. With it mounted on van hood even with the cabover only 4 inches away, I had a match of under 1.5:1 on all channels. Did a radio check and got one back from a trucker about 1.25 miles away. That's something, maybe not the best. But if I can hear truckers around me and talk with my son-in-law in his jeep while caravanning, that's good enough.

4K-Ranch
Explorer
Explorer
I dunno, (no idea about all the tech stuff) I just had an old CB radio laying in my garage and added a clamp on antenna to my pass side mirror. No problems, good reception, good transmit. Works for me...
Kim & Kay

1986 Class C Fleetwood Tioga Arrow
E350 Chassis, 460 Ford engine

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
Hickey, you are right. There are nicks and cuts on both antenna. I ordered a 3ft Firestick FS2 from Wearecb.com. ,Should be here tomorrow.

Hickey
Explorer
Explorer
Sagecoach, there could be something wrong with the 2' you have. It's quite easy to damage the wire that coils around the exterior of the shaft. Inspect the plastic coating covering the antenna for damage. Any damage to that wire can kill the antenna. I've seen this in brand new, unopened packages.

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
Installed the van hood mount driver's side and hooked up the coax to radio. I have a 2ft Firestick FS and a Firestick 4ft original. Did the SWR match on the 2ft Firestick FS and got 4+ on channels 1 and 40. I switched antenna to the 4ft Firestick and got 1.7:1 on Ch 1 and 2.2:1 on Ch 40. Since the antenna is too long for the hood mount plus thin and flexible, it would not be a good choice as it would end up hitting the cabover.
I am going to order a Firestick FS 3ft which is thicker and less prone to flexing and striking the cabover. I could also order a Firestick FS 2ft which is what I already have but is producing very high SWR readings. Perhaps it needs a longer antenna because of the cabover obstruction?????

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
The van mount was delivered by USPS this morning. Will mount it probably Sunday when we return from GC.
I probably need an exterior speaker as I can't understand half of what's being said. Nothing when they use the echo!

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I see you don't have an external, decent sized speaker on your system. I couldn't stand the weak/tinny sound from the nickle sized one in the handle and had to put on an external one to be able to hear it.
bumpy

I came to the conclusion long ago there was nothing of value to hear on CB unless your tastes tended towards foul-mouthed fake southerners.
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
eric1514 wrote:
Sagecoachdriver wrote:
Eric1514. I like the clean look of that. Were you able to get a good match as usually the ladder isn't grounded? I just left Sedona this morning, now at GC. Beautiful town. Stayed at Rancho Sedona.

It's a Firestick NGP antenna and mount. It works OK, but not great. I did the whole CB thing because I had the unit with a different antenna from my Jeepin' days where it was actually useful. Frankly, I never use the thing in my RV.

I see you don't have an external, decent sized speaker on your system. I couldn't stand the weak/tinny sound from the nickle sized one in the handle and had to put on an external one to be able to hear it.
bumpy

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
Sagecoachdriver wrote:
Eric1514. I like the clean look of that. Were you able to get a good match as usually the ladder isn't grounded? I just left Sedona this morning, now at GC. Beautiful town. Stayed at Rancho Sedona.

It's a Firestick NGP antenna and mount. It works OK, but not great. I did the whole CB thing because I had the unit with a different antenna from my Jeepin' days where it was actually useful. Frankly, I never use the thing in my RV.
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
dennyida wrote:
WOW eric, I do like your set up. How did you snake the coax up to the cab of your rig?

I ran the cable down inside that corner piece you see it disappear into. When it exited out the bottom, I ran it forward zip tieing it to whatever and came up behind the engine and infront of the fire wall. Here is a picture of antenna wire coming up through the firewall, behind the doghouse.

Here is a picture of the doghouse installed.

420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer

dennyida
Explorer
Explorer
WOW eric, I do like your set up. How did you snake the coax up to the cab of your rig?

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer

420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks oldme, ordered van mount from werearecb yesterday. Will install it when I get home this weekend.