cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where would you mount CB antenna on Class C

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
I want to put my old CB into the cab of my Class C. I have a mag mount, but the hood is fiberglass along with the top. Where on earth would you put it. I see they make hood mounts, but wouldn't the signal to the rear be poor? Plus, I would have to buy an stick antenna.
52 REPLIES 52

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
I have two antenas..one a CB and the other a VHF. I have them mounted, one on each side, where the hood line is. They are forward of centre so that they both kind of lean outward facing. Keeps them from tapping on the overhead/ I also slid a piece of rubber tubing down each one to add some stiffness.

And now that I have been edumacted about NGP..I am going to switch to one. My transmissions have always been terrible.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is what I did on my last RV.

I cut a piece of thin metal just large enough to be a bit larger than the magnet mount. I then attached it to the left front corner of the roof with some Dicor and small screws and then covered it with Eternabond.

The K40 Mag Mount worked well and never came off and when I needed to remove it for low hanging branches or such it was easy to remove.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
I can't use my mirror as the arm is too thick and the cabover would be in the way. Anyway to mount a metal plate on the roof or AC for the GP and would it need to be grounded? How big of a metal plate is needed?

dennyida
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted my CB antenna on the driver side mirror and ran the cable along the mirror arm through the door crack up through the top of the over head cover to the radio. The mirror arm is metal so the antenna is grounded and I wrapped the cable with white electrical tape to hold the cable firm and the white tape hides the black cable.

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted a "no ground plane" stick antenna on the ladder of my class c and ran the coax underneath along the frame rail up to the front then came through the firewall with it to the radio. I don't use it much but when I do it works good.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I built a mount somewhat like this one, some where I think I have a picture. Go here.
A search on here turned this up.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27692720/gotomsg/27693231.cfm#27693231

Dusty

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I used thru the glass window aerials on my motorhome. got decent range, not ideal however. just don't try it on a dual pain window, don't ask me how I know that. I was thinking of sticking a circle of painted steel on the roof with silicone seal to slap a magnetic mount to. try the easiest quickest first, then improve if needed.

bumpy

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
You may have to purchase a "no ground plane" antenna to use with your camper. Read about them here.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."