cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where would you mount CB antenna on Class C

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
I want to put my old CB into the cab of my Class C. I have a mag mount, but the hood is fiberglass along with the top. Where on earth would you put it. I see they make hood mounts, but wouldn't the signal to the rear be poor? Plus, I would have to buy an stick antenna.
52 REPLIES 52

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
These are good people to do business with:
http://www.wearecb.com/cb-antenna-mounts/?#ty%3Bpagination_contents%3B%2Fcb-antenna-mounts%2F

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
Checked out 2 Truck stops in Barstow for hood mounts, no luck. They were the heavy aluminum ones for truck mirrors. Loads of antenna, coax and hardware. No car, truck or hood mounts. Will check a few other truck stops tomorrow on I-40 near CA/AZ border to Kingman. If no luck, I will try CB shops monday in Flagstaff. Any suggestions? If no luck, I will order one online and should have it when I return next weekend.
I did see metal plates that they use with mag mounts. I did try using my mag mount on the driver's side mirror, but the arm isn't wide enough and it's painted. Perhaps the plate screwed into the mirror arm would give me a good match? Just how secure would it be? If it flew off, it could damage the door. Plus the antenna would be inches away from the mirror andside of the cabover.

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
Ok then you have one of the KW series.

Make sure you have a good ground with the mounting bracket.
I removed some paint under mine and also try to get the
antenna at least a foot away from ant overhang.

If you find a CB shop they should be able help trouble shoot
the ground plane issue that is causing the high SWR.

Firestick's trouble shooting may also help.

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/swr-causes.htm

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm

Hope you have a good trip.

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
Oldme, I don't have a NGP antenna., I have a Firestick 2ft and a 4ft.. I am going on trip tomorrow and will check out a few truck stops in Barstow as I called and they all have loads of CB stuff.
I am going to buy a fender mount for the drivers side and new probably a new antenna and coax. Then at my first campground I will mount it. I brought along drill with bits and metal screws. My Cobra 29 has a built in SWTR meter. It's always a little higher than my SWR/Watt meter.

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
Stagecoachdriver...
I see you settled on a firestick NGP antenna.

Be sure to go their web site and check out their FAQ
and special instructions on coax length etc.

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm

The firestick does not care where it is mounted as far
as a ground plane because the coax shield it it's counterpoise.
That is why it works well on fiberglass.

Firestic has some special instructions on their site you need to read.
They are not like a ground plane antenna in the coax used and lengths etc.
These are also reported to be very sensitive to tip length and the plastic
cover over the tip if yours came with one.

Make sure you use their harnesses etc.only.
They will tell you why on their site.

On my Class C I used a standard grand plane 4 ft fiberglass whip
not a Firestick, on a finder mount. I have not problems with SWR
and 1-20-40 being all under 1.3:1.

You should be able to get under 2:1 and most likely under 1.5:1
by following their problem solving instructions.

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
Border collie-I used the FSR radios on a trip to Anza Borrego caravan with my neighbor. I have the most powerful Midland FSR radios and we only had line of sight capabilities. I recall it was 1-2 miles at best.
When I worked at Universal City I tried talking with the DW who worked 5 miles away on the forth floor of an office building. Direct line of sight and we could barely understand each other.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bordercollie wrote:
Wouldn't modern "FRS" hand-held walkie-talkies work ok for rig to rig caravan communications? I have a set of Cobras WT's but haven't tried them for that yet.
Maybe if the rigs are very close. FRS has very limited practical range not anywhere near the suggested range. Good for big box store etc. type of usage.

But try them in 2 vehicles and see what you get.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't modern "FRS" hand-held walkie-talkies work ok for rig to rig caravan communications? I have a set of Cobras WT's but haven't tried them for that yet.

rooney77
Explorer
Explorer
Sagecoachdriver wrote:
Rooney77, I have been adjusting the tip of the firestick. It does adjust the Swr match where channels 1,20 and 40 even out match wise, but not below 3:1.
The antenna mount is aluminum rather than stainless steel. As I mentioned before, I will see if I can find a hood mount, new antenna and coax at a truck stop on the trip this Saturday. I will bring my drill, screws and coax lugs.

I've had some success in the past, when using aluminum mounts, grounding the antenna to the frame. Could be something to try and it's cheap to do.
1997 Minnie Winnie DL 29WU

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
Rooney77, I have been adjusting the tip of the firestick. It does adjust the Swr match where channels 1,20 and 40 even out match wise, but not below 3:1.
The antenna mount is aluminum rather than stainless steel. As I mentioned before, I will see if I can find a hood mount, new antenna and coax at a truck stop on the trip this Saturday. I will bring my drill, screws and coax lugs.

rooney77
Explorer
Explorer
Sagecoachdriver wrote:
So the only way to get a low SWR match is the mag mount on a plate at the fender. Maybe I should start from scratch and buy the fender van mount a new Firestick and coax. Then mount it on the fender and see what happens.

That's not entirely accurate. Antennas, at least the decent ones, are tunable to get the SWR reading into range. Check out K40 and some Firestiks, they have a little section at the top that can be raised or lowered to tune them. Other fiberglass whips require trimming to tune them.

There's good information here and a link at the end of the article on how to tune your antenna.

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/cb-antenna-tuning-swr-explained
1997 Minnie Winnie DL 29WU

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding co-phased antennas, they are directional; whereas, a single firestick will be more omnidirectional. If you want to talk to someone straight ahead or straight behind you, the co-phased antennas will out perform the omni antenna. Depending upon your travels, one may be better for you than the other.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
You'll find that a lot of trucks use Co-phased antennas mounted on the mirrors.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
I am going on a trip this weekend and wanted to have it for the portion on the I 40. Doesn't look like it's going to happen. I could stop in at a few truck stops and see what the have in the way of mounts and antenna. That's the only spots that seem to carry anything CB.

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
So the only way to get a low SWR match is the mag mount on a plate at the fender. Maybe I should start from scratch and buy the fender van mount a new Firestick and coax. Then mount it on the fender and see what happens.