cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who takes a motorcycle with them

MNawman
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody here carry a big bike in a cruiser lift or hydra lift? I'm thinking about getting one and would like to hear from those who have them. Pros and cons, which would you recommend, etc. I'm kinda leaning toward the Cruiserlift. I think the winch may have less potential for problems than hydraulics.
36 REPLIES 36

Mark2005
Explorer
Explorer
Mark, as others have said the hydra lift is fantastic...I have one mounted on a Monaco Knight and it works perfectly. i have had it for about three years and 16-18K miles and no problems.

If you watch eBay or Craigs list you may be able to pick one up for about half of new price...i actually found one on eBay for ~$1500...with shipping and install had just over $2K in it and again zero problems

Would be interested in how the install goes on your Entegra as we are looking at that coach in the near future.

Mark

MNawman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Scott, great write up, just what I was looking for. I ve seen both lifts and the Hydralift does look solid. I admit the cost is a factor but I would pay more for good quality. I ll take a closer look at Hydralift. Thanks again guys!

sprintmod1
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2003 American Coach Tradition with a CruiserLift installed for the last two years. Carries a 2009 Harley ElectraGlide Ultra Classic that weighs around 975 pounds. Also tow a 2013 Chevy Silverado.

Have had this setup installed for almost 34000 miles with zero issues. And that bike goes up and down on that lift at least three times each and every weekend from March to November.

Takes about 5 minutes to remove the bike carrier and then also the rest of the lift mechanism for access to the engine bay area.

We over-engineered the mounting tubes on the frame rails and we have seen zero issues with the frame with the weight of that bike back there.

It does use quite a bit of power off the batteries, just make sure that you use the appropriate gauge wire (we used some 8 gauge) to run directly from the batteries to the electric motor.

The front wheel chock really locks the bike in place also. And it will take some good leg power to pull the bike out of that chock, especially if you are parked with the front of the bike down hill.

Found ours used on Craigslist and purchased sight unseen and drove 1000 miles to pick it up. I would highly recommend the CruiserLift to anyone looking.
2010 American Coach Revolution 42w; carrying 2014 HD Electra Glide Limited and towing 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD.
Dirt's for racing and asphalt for getting there.
410 Sprint Car's rule!

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
B's Bunch wrote:
I just installed a hydra lift and took a 1, 400 mile trip. Very satisfied. Had to learn to load and unload but other than that never had any issues hauling it along with toeing out 2012 focus. However there are concerns with the install. I think each is differant but doable. The way I installed mine I can install or remove in30 min. Or less. I really like this mount. Larry

Hey Larry,
Is that you Bud? Scott here. How's the Hydralift doing? Got all the "kinks" worked out and get the loading and unloading down? Hope all is well. Still thinking about taking you up on your offer for tours when we get back that way.

MNawman,
If Larry is who I think he is, he's got my old Hydralift. Without a doubt, the Hydralift is by far, the best lift/carrier on the market. I've thoroughly gone over all of them before I purchased and, while Hydralift is pretty proud of their product in terms of price, the quality and type of construction, mechanism, amount of moving parts, strength of moving parts and pivots, design of moving parts, are all superior to any other lift on the market.

When I say they're proud of their product, they are by far, the highest cost too. The last time I checked, a brand new Hydralift, hovers around $4,500, plus or minus. And that does not include tax and shipping. Hydralift, predominantly only ships to a "dealer/installer" of your choice when purchasing new. If you're lucky to find one used, it's up to you to get it to your location.

The durability, quality and assurance of their product is top shelf. Both the Cruiserlift and the Hydralift are powered by an electric motor but, one powers a hydraulic pump and one powers a winch. The dependability of hydraulics now days are outstanding. After all, about 99.99999999% of the jacks/levelers on todays coaches are all hydraulic. Very, very few folks have issues in terms of leaks or problems in the hydraulic side.

I used that Hydralift for over 8,000 miles on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330 C-7 CAT and, never, repeat NEVER, had any issues of any type. That includes handling problems of any type, structural problems of any type, or anything related to that. The primary reason I sold it was because we were a bit over weight and, we wanted a change in toads. So, the Hydralift went bye-bye and we purchased a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab.

Now, we still wanted to carry the Honda Goldwing so, the intent was to purchase a "Rampage" lift/carrier for the truck. Well, that's our picture as of now.

As for your choice, if you were to put both lifts side by side, and watch the action of both, I'm pretty sure you'd like the Hydralift over the other. It all depends on just how much you want to spend.

Now, the second part of the equation. What kind of coach, length, engine, etc. do you have to mount this kind of weight on? The Hydralift itself weighs in the neighborhood of 300, plus or minus a few. Most of the "unknowing" will tell you about all kinds of issues you're going to have. Unless they've done it, and drove with it, and had that kind of weight addition back there, I don't put much faith in what many have to say. Larry will give you first and, new experience on just what kind of effects it had/has on his particular coach.

Ours, like stated, is a 36' diesel and it did flawless. I weighed our coach, front and rear prior to the lift install and the weight of the bike, and it removed exactly 100 lbs. off the front end. BIG DEAL!

The ride height sensors compensated for the additional weight and the coach road at the exact same stance fully loaded as it does now, with no lift or bike on it. Larry used the same mounting characteristics and components that I had. Although with a little "sneer" here, Larry's a bit slow on the removal of the lift for rear of the coach service. If I recall, start to finish, I could have that lift off the back in right close to 8 minutes. I'm sure he's got the process down though. LOL.

Anyway, as you can see and read, I'm definitely a fan of the Hydralift. And, I've got experience with both types of lift mechanisms. The Rampage lift utilizes a winch. Without a doubt, the winch system is antiquated and not near as positive as the hydraulic operation is. Your choice.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Being not far from M/C mecca Sturgis, we see every contrivance possible to carry a bike. On MHs, lifts work well, we predominately see hydraulic units when the dinghy is flat towed.
More & more we see bikes cross loaded on the dolly in front of the towed.

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
Go to blueox.com and use their formula for computing the amount of weight you'll be putting on your rear axle before going out and buying anything. If you don't have a TAG axle on your MH you will in all probability be overloading your coach's rear axle with the weight of the lift and MC.

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed a hydra lift and took a 1, 400 mile trip. Very satisfied. Had to learn to load and unload but other than that never had any issues hauling it along with toeing out 2012 focus. However there are concerns with the install. I think each is differant but doable. The way I installed mine I can install or remove in30 min. Or less. I really like this mount. Larry
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide