cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why add a sway bar to a DP?

country_sunflow
Explorer
Explorer
We are wondering what the purpose of the sway bar, is it necessary?
23 REPLIES 23

dstock50
Explorer
Explorer
My Safari Simba came factory with a very large one.

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
I have to wonder if they have a locking differential confused with Automatic Traction Control. The ATC on my coach locks the drivers together for better traction thus creating a locked differential condition.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Locking differential on a DP-- very interesting.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

country_sunflow
Explorer
Explorer
Cause of the noise, broken locking defferenchel (sp). In the shop waiting for parts to come from Tennessee, might be repaired by next Friday, estimated costs $3,500.

tahiti16
Explorer
Explorer
One to check is any small mounting bars for the front cap as they will sometimes crack and break.
Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with wolfe10. If everything is tight, shocks are good then a bushing is about the only other thing I can think of.

I haven't kept up with the problem but is the noise in the front or back.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Unless a bushing is totally shot, can't see a sway bar making that kind of banging noise.

Check the panhard rod/track bar bushings (horizontal rod that goes from chassis frame rail to axle).
Brett Wolfe

country_sunflow
Explorer
Explorer
Noise is a very loud banging when you turn, like at a corner on to another road. Can't seam to find any thing else. Nothing looks broken or worn

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Describe the noise-- when it occurs and what it sounds like.

And what are the conditions of the sway bar bushings? Lubed or dry?

What is the condition of the shocks and shock mounts?
Brett Wolfe

country_sunflow
Explorer
Explorer
He finally have up, have an appointment at 9 in the morning with a Freight liner mmackinic . Hope we are on the road to AZ on Saturday.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you checked your shocks.:h Since the noise is only heard while turning you most likely should raise the coach then start testing. If any parts of the front end are worn, or one of the shock housings are worn, they will feel tight while the coach is at rest. Put it on a hoist to relieve the pressure on the components, then start looking for slop....I think you'll find it that way...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
I added the front and rear anti sway bar kits made by Source Engineering this summer as my coach would wander some on deeply rutted hiways. I also added their steering stabilizer kit to the front steering linkage. I can't over emphasize the improvement this mod made in the handling of my coach and it was worth every penny I paid for it. The panhard bars added to the front and rear of the Roadmaster chassis by Roadmaster that are mounted in the center of the H frames simply provide a pivot point for the H frame so it allows the drivers to wander under less than ideal road conditions. To further enhance the handling characteristics some folks install front and rear Watts Links.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sway bars serve a very useful purpose and they can make noise if the bushing are worn out. Worn bushings should have been easy to check without removing the entire assembly.

country_sunflow
Explorer
Explorer
Taking it off didn't get rid of the noise. Now he is putting it back. Frustrated to say the least. It is about 2.5 inches in diameter.