cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it?

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
Why is it that you wash your motorhome and get it looking good before you take it on a trip and the day you leave it rains the whole day your traveling and trashes out everything you just worked so hard to clean? It hasn't rained here in a month we are leaving on vacation tomorrow morning and there is a 80 percent chance of rain. This seems to happen every time we go someplace.. lol 😞
13 REPLIES 13

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Just left the Blue Beacon in Denver and was heading to NM tomorrow. It looks so shiny! I would have to come back to Denver Monday in Snow (which means magnesium chloride in Denver), so I'm changing my mind and I'll winterize and put it away clean tomorrow. That mag chloride can corrode a chassis quick.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had traveled from Glenwood Springs, CO to the KOA in Colorado Springs with a stop at the truck wash in Denver to clean up after the snow we had driven in leading up to Vail. No chance of snow the following day and it was sunny and clear. The next morning we woke up to snow. We had to travel and the forecast said it was just about over and there was nothing expected S. of CO. Springs. Well, we drove for the next few hours in a terrible storm which coated the coach and the toad in a slurry of ice. Our white van was a solid block of black ice and the bottom half of the coach, including 1/2 of the engine radiator, was ice as well. We spent the night in a WalMart as there was no chance we were going to try to make the upcoming mountain grade. We are glad we quit fairly early as the parking lot became loaded with RVer and truckers very quickly!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two stories:
The official "History" of Murphy's law says that Murphy was a color blind technician on the rocket sled (NASA) project back in the 50s. He had the habit of hooking a blue wire to a green screw and things like that. (Trust me that does not work well). (NO, I did not do it, someone else did on one of my projects).

When a reporter ask some General what was taking so long he said:
"It's that D*** MURPHY, If there's any way to do it wrong he will".

However that is the 2nd discovery of Murphy's law.

Now Chowder pots, I mean really big ones, are EXPENSIVE so they often serve multi uses.. Laundry tub,, Baby's bath.. Water heater for the big bath...

So imagine when the Murphy's had half the town over and they dipped into the chowder and ladled out a pair of Mr. Murphy's concrete bespeckled trousers.

Mrs. Murphy fainted straight away.

Now this being an Irish gathering thost gathered there started calling out:

Who threw the overalls in Mrs. Murphy's Chowder?

Well nobody answered (I mean Mrs. Murphy was passed out in a faint so she could not own up to her mistake) So they shouted all the louder.

It's an Irish Trick it's true, I can kick the mick who threw, the overalls in Mrs. Murphy's Chowder.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, never fails. Clean MH on 1st of Sep.
Left for a 3 week trip on the 5th. Rained on the 6th and then really rained on the 7th.
Not a drop afterward and I'm on the road with a sorry looking MH and toad in bright sunny places for the next two and a half weeks.

Had to bring it to the selling dealer for some scheduled work near the end of the trip and felt embarrassed at the dirty state with all the clean shiny ones around the lot.

Oh well, that's RVing and we had a great trip otherwise:)

Chris
2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System
Retired Canadian Army WO (1971-2000)

old40ford
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I cleaned our 5th wheel and I spent 2 days detailing my truck for a month long trip to the smokies. We left here it was sunny, the weather report for the entire way there was sunny with maybe a 10% chance of rain. I had my handicap scooter apart and stuffed in the back around the hitch and guess what? it rained from Bristol all the way to the mountains and got my controller wet in the scooter which ruined it. Not only wasted my time cleaning I lost a $1000 scooter. Just no guessing about the weather here.
Just the wife and me
2013 F-150 CC, King Ranch 4wd
2017 Puma 255RKS
1926 Model T fordor, cold weather car

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I feel your pain! I don't consider the vacation a success unless I make it through the whole thing clean 🙂
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Two years ago my son and I washed and waxed the RV for a trip. Headed out to I-20 past the local rock quarry. Apparently the quarry decided to wet the road down right before we passed, about 1/2 mile. I stopped at the gas station to check everything one last time and it looked like the quarry threw up on our truck and FW, dirt spray top to bottom front to back. I called the quarry and they sent a truck with a water hose to the gas station and rinsed everything off. Still wasn't clean but it was better than it was. They have not sprayed the road down since.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
The current joke around my house, when the grass starts to burn I wash the RV. Problem fixed ! At least the grass being burnt problem...

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do too, Doc Brown!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Great reason to get ready to clean it up again! I polish my coach every two months. I find it relaxing and I love it when my coach shines.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Know what you mean. We are in central IL too and are currently working on washing/waxing the motorhome. Roof, front and 1 side done and now it's spitting rain today and the next few days. Wanted to get it done before we leave in a couple of weeks. Not fun spraying cold water around when it's cool and breezy outside.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Last year we used the camper so much, I didn't have a good opportunity to wash the trailer. Finally, early December we had a warm spell, so go out and washed it in preparation for our trip to South Carolina the week of Christmas. All went well. She sure was washed up pertty and shiny again!

Then, the night before we got ready to leave for South Carolina, we had a heavy snow fall. And you know what happens on the roads while it's snowing .... black gunk splashed all over everything.

We had snow all the way from home to Cincinnati, Ohio when we finally got out of the snow. We stopped at a rest area and I was shocked when I saw the truck and camper. It had snow, dirty, ice-sickles hanging all over everything. The camper was covered with dirt, salt, snow, ice. It was a mess. I took photos and actually posted them on here last year.

We made it to South Carolina and the trailer remained a dirty mess the whole trip. We were able to find a car wash and got the duly washed down, but that trailer was hideous the entire trip. I was so embarrassed because of it. Other campers at that campground had nice shiny clean units. Ours looked like it had been drug through a war!

Funny though, the first week in January, after returning home, weather warmed up and I was able to finally wash it at home.

Why? oh Why does it happen AFTER you wash them.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
You need to go out West, where they are having a long term drought, and sell your services to the highest bidder. Something like "I'll wash my motor home, and guaranty rain, for a price".