cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wind effect on A/C?

dshinnick
Explorer
Explorer
We're in Asheville, at the western end of North Carolina. We're getting some effects of Matthew in the form of some rain, but high winds, which continued all night. In the morning I tried to turn on the LR heat pump, but got only a click and then nothing. Got the same in the bedroom. The only common element between the two, it seems, is the wind they've been subjected to. So, the question: can sustained high winds (20-30mph) have a negative effect on roof A/C's?

thanks-

dave
11 REPLIES 11

-Gramps-
Explorer
Explorer
Check your breaker for the roof units and also they need up two minutes to start after you turn them on or if you change the mode from heat to cool or vice versa.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
dshinnick wrote:
So, the question: can sustained high winds (20-30mph) have a negative effect on roof A/C's?
No. You have other issues.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Only affect of wind I can think of is if this is driving rain and was able to get water into the "electrical area" where capacitors, etc are located.

Doug or others would be able to tell you if the 2nd A/C is controlled by/through the front A/C. If so, and both A/C's are not working despite presence of 120 VAC shore power or generator, it would suggest starting at the front A/C.
X-2, I've never had wind effect my AC and I've been Rving since 1976! You asked a very interesting question!

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Only affect of wind I can think of is if this is driving rain and was able to get water into the "electrical area" where capacitors, etc are located.

Doug or others would be able to tell you if the 2nd A/C is controlled by/through the front A/C. If so, and both A/C's are not working despite presence of 120 VAC shore power or generator, it would suggest starting at the front A/C.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
usersmanual wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
The "click" you hear is the 12 volt relay part of the AC controls. Since BOTH failed, I would suspect NO 120 power to both AC's for some reason. WIND will NEVER affect a Roof AC unit. You do not state type of RV, but when I ask customers if they have power, they will state YES. They determine that they have power because the Microwave is ON or their TV is on. FORGETTING that they have a Inverter/Charger in standby mode and when the 120 power to the RV is lost, the Inverter supplies power to the Microwave and TV's. So, they have a loss of 120 power to all the appliances not on the Inverter. Doug

2005 Holiday Rambler Ambassador, 40' DP he talks about; I think Doug may have hit the nail on the head here

And he has an Inverter/Charger and he has the Dometic 5 button CCC system. Doug

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
The "click" you hear is the 12 volt relay part of the AC controls. Since BOTH failed, I would suspect NO 120 power to both AC's for some reason. WIND will NEVER affect a Roof AC unit. You do not state type of RV, but when I ask customers if they have power, they will state YES. They determine that they have power because the Microwave is ON or their TV is on. FORGETTING that they have a Inverter/Charger in standby mode and when the 120 power to the RV is lost, the Inverter supplies power to the Microwave and TV's. So, they have a loss of 120 power to all the appliances not on the Inverter. Doug

2005 Holiday Rambler Ambassador, 40' DP he talks about; I think Doug may have hit the nail on the head here

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
A/C units work fine after (or while) driving down the road at 70 mph.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Wind will never cause your A/C Heat Pumps to just click period. Something else is wrong, like low voltage for example...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

dshinnick
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. And the outside temp when we got up was probably in the low 50's.

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Do you still have 120 volt AC power?
There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch