cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windshield popping out

gwheel
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a 3790 Residency by MHC. When I leveled the unit with the levelers the right hand or passenger side upper right hand corner of the windshield popped out, did not notice until I was leaving the campground, but was able to get home ok. I called safelite, and a fellow stopped to take a look at it, and said he would not touch it, and that I should take it to a large rv dealer with a body shop. I noticed the rubber seal was not glued in and I asked him about this, and he said that, the style with the bead lock, which is what this is did not require glue. I asked him to show me the bead lock tool that he had, and he did. I ordered one on Amazon, and decided to tackle this myself. The tool came and I slipped everything back into place. I started to play with the levelers again and same thing happened, so thought about this for a couple of days, and decided to make DIY, clamp, out of a 1 inch wide piece of steel, available at lowes or HD. I cut this to about 4 in long, and ground some teeth into one end, then about 1/2 inch from the toothed end I bent it nearly double. I then drilled a 3/16 in hole in the other end. I then bent and formed this to catch the rubber in the very upper right side (this is inside the MH). Push this toothed end into the rubber, and drill a hole thru the body and place a 3/18 screw, and nut and washer such, with a little sealant under the head of the screw, and fender washer, tighten, and make sure that the clamp teeth are somewhat embedded into the rubber seal. Now I know if you have a brand new MH, or one that has a large value, you might not want to do this, but in my case, the unit is about 12 yrs old, and this was a quick and dirty fix, that worked well, and you can barely see the head of the screw, just above the windshield on the pass side. I painted the screw head, and it is hard to see. The bead lock tool was about 13 bucks shipped. Inside you cannot see this clamp, it is completely hidden by the molding/trim. George
16 REPLIES 16

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I would have never guessed that a coach would flex enough to pop a window.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Great fix idea!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com