cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winnebago View Profile Community

JeffAndMaria
Explorer
Explorer
We've got the Winnebago View Profile 24G on our wishlist. I thought it would be nice to start a conversation with other owners of the Winnebago View Profile (e.g., 24J, 24M, 24G, 24V). As a newly renewed, but previous Good Sam member from way back, I thought it would be good to do it here.

How do you like your View Profile? Any tricks or tips?

We've got a million questions already about different options; if we can't find good advice from dealers, we'll post a query to this thread.

Wish us luck!
32 REPLIES 32

Just_Lee
Explorer
Explorer
Dakzuki wrote:
AprilWhine wrote:
Thanks for the link Dakzuki. I used to belong to that group but resigned because the moderator would not control the off topic fanboy posts. Has that situation improved?

I haven't noticed anything like that in the few years since I've been a member. It is well moderated and a fantastic resource for owners of V/Ns. They have expanded to two other groups, one being Modifications and the other Technical Aspects.

I belong to the Yahoo Groups and they are OK.. I say OK because they are a pain to navigate, but I am getting better at them. The iRV2 site is pretty good except there is not a lot of V/N posters there.

As far a generators go we went with the LP and it had served us well. When we Dry Camp I only run the generator maybe 1 hour a day. We just got back after spending 3 nights in Yosemite.

We downsized from a 38ft Diesel Pusher to the 24g and it has been a AWESOME experience. You might want to check out this thread on here.... http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26932387.cfm

LeeB 2013vp 24g
2004 Meridian towing 96 Tracker
If you don't stand behind our TROOPS feel free to stand in front of them during a fire fight

In God We Trust ALL Others pay CASH

RckyMtnVia
Explorer
Explorer
Dakzuki: thanks for the info on the noise. If you had to do it again would you go with diesel or lpg? I am leaning towards diesel. Thanks.
2022 Forester MBS 2401B

RckyMtnVia
Explorer
Explorer
JeffandMaria: you are correct when you say there are 2014s and "2014s". It seems some of the new 2014s in Colorado are left over 2013s dressed up as 2014. The new 2014 specs include a two door, 6 cu ft fridge, patio awning with led lights, A/C is upgraded to 15,000btu from 13,500btu. If it doesn't have those upgrades, then it is a 2013. Fridge and A/C are important to me, led lights on awning not so much. We are looking at Reyo and same changes apply. Look at the fridge as you walk in and you will know right away.
2022 Forester MBS 2401B

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Bounder Billy wrote:
According to the Cummins/Onan specs, the sound level for both diesel and lpg generators is 68dB(A). Don't know about the smell. We are considering the VIA/REYO and would prefer the diesel generator since it is easier to find diesel than lpg on the backroads away from the highway. For me it fits in the category as nice to have but not essential. If I get a great deal on an rv with a lpg, then I would buy it.

Specs also show lpg consumption as 0.6gal/hr at half load and 0.7gal/hour at full load. Diesel is 0.3gal/hr at half load and 0.4gal/hr at full load. The View has 13 gal capacity lpg tank and 26 gal capacity for diesel. Hope this helps.

Those specs are based on the generator alone and do not account for how it's mounted. The diesel generator on the V/N sets up a low frequency which is exacerbated by the structure. It is significantly louder than other RV generators. I should know as I have one.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
+1 on the diesel gen. LP gas gens slurp up fuel like it is going out of style, and it can be pretty difficult to find propane late at night, while diesel is fairly common.

If I had the choice, I'd always go for the diesel generator if offered.

SteveL1948
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a LP gen in a 5th wheel and also class A DP and IMO LP consumption was ridiculous so I would go for the diesel gen but that's just me!!! Whatever you decide good luck and safe travels to you! Steve

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
Irv2 has a very good Winnebago forum.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

JeffAndMaria
Explorer
Explorer
Bounder Billy: I tried to quote you and reply (no joy), but: Great input on generator consumption; thank you!!

JeffAndMaria
Explorer
Explorer
Bounder Billy wrote:
According to the Cummins/Onan specs, the sound level for both diesel and lpg generators is 68dB(A). Don't know about the smell. We are considering the VIA/REYO and would prefer the diesel generator since it is easier to find diesel than lpg on the backroads away from the highway. For me it fits in the category as nice to have but not essential. If I get a great deal on an rv with a lpg, then I would buy it.

Specs also show lpg consumption as 0.6gal/hr at half load and 0.7gal/hour at full load. Diesel is 0.3gal/hr at half load and 0.4gal/hr at full load. The View has 13 gal capacity lpg tank and 26 gal capacity for diesel. Hope this helps.

Great info! Thank you! (I hadn't thought about the smell issue...hmmm)

JeffAndMaria
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! You folks are great, so happy to be a part of this Good Sam community! I did check out the yahoo groups link and will use it for reference, there are a LOT of posts there (like 140,000)!

FYI: Maria and I are heading out tomorrow to Camping World in Spartanburg, SC to see a "2014" 24G. I'm gathering that there's "2014" and 2014. We'll see.

Thank you all for contributing!

RckyMtnVia
Explorer
Explorer

2022 Forester MBS 2401B

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
JeffAndMaria wrote:
Generator Options

I like the idea of not having to fill that teensy LP tank all the time, so the "3,200 Watt Cummins Onan Diesel Generator" sounds convenient.

HOWEVER, I do like the "Quiet" part of the name of the other option: the "3,600 Watt Cummins Onan MicroQuiet LP Generator"!

Does anyone know if the LP generator is really a lot quieter? How long does it take to drain the 13 gal LP tank? For that matter, how many "gallons per hours" of diesel does that version use up on average (with A/C on)?

The LP generator is quieter and less smelly. You can get the fuel consumption numbers on the diesel from the Cummins Onan web site.Link

Depending how you camp and what you are using as far as appliances, a small gas generator is the quietest thing around short of solar which is another option. If you are boondocking and need much heat a catalytic heater is the ticket. The other option is dress warm and good blankets/covers. We have been known to sleep with no heat when its in the 30s (under an alpaca hide).

We recently conpleted a month log trip and I thing we used about 1/3 of a load of LP. About half was unplugged. We cook outside a lot.

If you are spending your time plugged in get an electric heater. There are lots of posts on this forum discussing them.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
AprilWhine wrote:
Thanks for the link Dakzuki. I used to belong to that group but resigned because the moderator would not control the off topic fanboy posts. Has that situation improved?

I haven't noticed anything like that in the few years since I've been a member. It is well moderated and a fantastic resource for owners of V/Ns. They have expanded to two other groups, one being Modifications and the other Technical Aspects.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to the Yahoo View/Navion group which is about the best source for info on those RVs around.

Regarding rooms, My Navion has an awning by Carefree and they make a room that attaches to it. Link
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad