cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winterizing a Norcold Icemaker how I did mine

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
I had to Winterize my coach as the temps are dipping here in Mi. this week. It will only be a few weeks and I will head to the sunny south for the winter.
I wanted to make sure the icemaker was protected and having read the instructions for winterizing they stated putting in the pink and then allowing the Ice maker to go through a few cycles This would take a few hours.here is what I did instead.
1. removed the hose feed that goes to the control valve. closed the shut off to the ice maker and put air through it. ( I had already used the air compressor to blow out the lines. then opened the shut off and let the air clear the line.
2. Removed the feed line from the control modual and let any water drain down.then reattach the control valve line and the water line coming from the supply to the valve.
3. Reapply the air pressure and go to the ice maker and remove the cover from the end inside the freezer compartment. There are several holes in the end of the ice maker near the wheel that rotates. ( mine says do not manually rotae on the wheel ) I jumpered the 2 holes that are to the left of that wheel by skinning back a wire on both end about 3/8 inch each end. Place the jumper wire in both holes and it will open the the water inlet valve. I jumpered this fow a few seconds a couple of times until no water was coming out. shut off the water feed valve. Now there is no water in the line going to or feeding the ice maker.
Then if you want extra protection for the rest of the coach you can apply the pink stuff without having it in your ice maker.
Maybe the rest of the world already knew this but I thought I would pass it along for those that are like me. It seved a bunch of time and no pink in the ice maker.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)
12 REPLIES 12

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
janstey58 wrote:
Gut wrote:
I see zero point in getting that crappy tasting pink in my ice maker

In the spring I run several cycles of cubes with fresh water and I am ready to go, no effort on my part other than turning things on. I like the KISS method!

the kiss method would be to just let icemaker drain from solenoid. news flash, it gets below freezing in normal operation. I put a standard hose shutoff on feed tube to close after pink stuff squirts out.
bumpy

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Gut wrote:

In the spring I run several cycles of cubes with fresh water and I am ready to go, no effort on my part other than turning things on. I like the KISS method!
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Funny how some will post something rude on-line that they would never say to someone in person.

Unless they were drunk. Liquid courage vs Internet courage I guess :B

The 'ol Dog has helped many over the years, for which I appreciate his efforts.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Funny how some will post something rude on-line that they would never say to someone in person.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
janstey58 wrote:
I make pink ice, then I know everything is covered.

what ever makes one happy?

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Trainer wrote:
gutfelt wrote:
Dog Trainer wrote:
I had to Winterize my coach as the temps are dipping here in Mi. this week. It will only be a few weeks and I will head to the sunny south for the winter.
I wanted to make sure the icemaker was protected and having read the instructions for winterizing they stated putting in the pink and then allowing the Ice maker to go through a few cycles This would take a few hours.here is what I did instead.
1. removed the hose feed that goes to the control valve. closed the shut off to the ice maker and put air through it. ( I had already used the air compressor to blow out the lines. then opened the shut off and let the air clear the line.
2. Removed the feed line from the control modual and let any water drain down.then reattach the control valve line and the water line coming from the supply to the valve.
3. Reapply the air pressure and go to the ice maker and remove the cover from the end inside the freezer compartment. There are several holes in the end of the ice maker near the wheel that rotates. ( mine says do not manually rotae on the wheel ) I jumpered the 2 holes that are to the left of that wheel by skinning back a wire on both end about 3/8 inch each end. Place the jumper wire in both holes and it will open the the water inlet valve. I jumpered this fow a few seconds a couple of times until no water was coming out. shut off the water feed valve. Now there is no water in the line going to or feeding the ice maker.
Then if you want extra protection for the rest of the coach you can apply the pink stuff without having it in your ice maker.
Maybe the rest of the world already knew this but I thought I would pass it along for those that are like me. It seved a bunch of time and no pink in the ice maker.

complete waste of time;; disconnect plastic line and it will drain itself;;its the main water feed line to solenoid and solenoid itself that need to be blown out (I jumper the solenoid)

Since it is a complete waste of time I will not bother to post any longer. There seems to be a bunch of newbies around here that are so much smarter than I am I don't know what I can offer.BTW what you state will not work if you don't first drain the line coming from the supply vale to the control valve.

Yup that's why I said:
main water feed line to solenoid and solenoid itself that need to be blown out

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
gutfelt wrote:
Dog Trainer wrote:

complete waste of time;; disconnect plastic line and it will drain itself;;its the main water feed line to solenoid and solenoid itself that need to be blown out (I jumper the solenoid)

Since it is a complete waste of time I will not bother to post any longer. There seems to be a bunch of newbies around here that are so much smarter than I am I don't know what I can offer.BTW what you state will not work if you don't first drain the line coming from the supply vale to the control valve.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
I make pink ice, then I know everything is covered.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
gutfelt wrote:

yep, I just unhooked mine at the solenoid, put a standard hose shut off there, let feed line to icemaker drain out (I assume the parts of ice maker inside freezer get sort of chilly when in use) let pink stuff squirt out the fitting and shut it off.
bumpy

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Disconnect the plastic line and it will drain.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Trainer wrote:

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Since an icemaker lives in a freezer, just disconnecting the feed pipe on the backside of the refer from the water solenoid and letting it drain is really all you need to do to the icemaker itself. Next spring, let it make 3-4 trays of cubes then toss them, for taste reasons.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.