cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless tow light

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
I am wanting a wireless tow light system for my truck that is towed behind the motorhome. It has to be battery powered. I am looking at the light duty wireless tow light bar with Tow Mate. I know there are others on the market. Would like to hear some comments on what is good and what is not. The battery power would be used for 2-5 hours max. I have been looking at the light bar and the two separate light system. Thanks!
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart
8 REPLIES 8

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
Another option (what I did, not saying better, just different).

I installed a red LED light bar that goes under the tailgate and goes all the way across from side to side. I ran a flat-4 from the front of the truck to the light bar (that I can plug into the flat-4 on RV). When I tow the truck, I plug it into the RV...when not towing the truck, I plug the light into the trucks own flat-4 (part of tow package of the truck).

Its VERY bright, has brake lights, running lights, and turn signals. total cost was under $200 and use ti both towing and when not towing.

I do like the idea of a wireless set-up though. Good luck!

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely interested in hearing reviews. I am currently researching lights and am leaning towards the towmate RVHW32 and plugging it into a jump starter with a 12V outlet that would sit in the bed of the truck. The cost is a lot more than wiring the truck lights but my Ford dealer warned me that if I cut into the factory LED taillight wiring I will void the warranty (probable just a threat but I am not willing to take the chance).

I use my current jump starter to power my enclosed trailer and it will last 3-4 days so should be no problem powering the tail lights. I was concerned that the battery powered lights might not make it through a trip without needing to change or charge batteries.

Also interested in how people are mounting them. I may have to build something or maybe use the suction cups as I just have plastic and aluminum to attach them to.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Love the wireless option as it takes so much out of the wiring! I wish it could be done over wifi though (2.4Ghz). Same with cameras. If there was a central router with great signal everything could be handled from the 1 router.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:
What about brake lights and turn signals?
That is the topic of this discussion. Wireless, all in one, brake, turn and running lights.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
I have the blazer brand, two light LED set-up that was less than $90 delivered, from Jet.com. I've used it extensively since last summer, an it's a great buy for the money. The batteries last a LOT longer than claimed, and overall it's been a great way to do the job. I switched toads from one CRV to a new one. I really wanted to avoid hard wiring additional tail light bulbs into this toad, since the old set-up was a continual PITA. So far, no regrets, and it's a 1/4 or a 1/3rd the cost of a wireless light bar.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Understand that the so called "battery life" for these wireless systems is the total time with them actuated at the highest amperage, or tail lights and brake lights on continuous at the listed hours. Mine are rated for 12 hours on the batteries and that means I change the batteries at 12K towed miles or "yearly", whether they need it or not. Have never had a light failure in the 5 years I have been using them.

Wireless lights

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Vectra930
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the 23 inch battery driven bar for a few years and it works great. I have just upgraded to the 32 inch powered from the car bar and would sell the older one if you are interested PM me.
2003 Foretravel U320
2014 SRX

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
What about brake lights and turn signals?