Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wiring a macerator

Stutch
Explorer
Explorer
Happy New Year!!!!

I plan to install a permanent Macerator in my new Dutch Star 4018. (Don't have the MH yet!!).

Anyone know how far I have to run a wire to a 12V fuse panel or power source?

Thanks
Mike
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
Honda CRV
TM
6 REPLIES 6

Stutch
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all... Looks like running to the house batts using a 20amp inline fuse is the answer. The kit comes with 10' of 10g wire. That should be plenty to get from the wet bay to the batts.

Love the PVC suggestion. Very wise.

Just bought a CRV and having it outfitted with a Roadmaster config. When we pick up our Dutch Star, we will take the toad to get it.

As a new MH owner the 100 mile drive home will be interesting.... Jumping in with both feet!!!!
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
Honda CRV
TM

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I built and installed one in my Dynasty. The Exec came with it. Here's my advice.

They draw a lot of amps. You can "cheat" and tap into an existing power source but you will find you'll have problems with how strong the pump is. Run a separate wire from the batteries directly to the relay. I put the relay right above the macerator box. Use at least 12ga wire although 10ga is better. It's only a one time deal, so do it right.

Additionally, here's a quick tip...the dump hose is not as robust as it appears. Over time as you use it laying on the gravel in most campgrounds, it will leak. I bought a 1 1/4 PVC pipe from Home Depot and sliced it lengthwise. I lay the dump hose in it when parked. This protects the hose from the gravel. Also, I can place the other half on top if the run is less than 10'....good luck..Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

davidgebo
Explorer
Explorer
I wired the macerator to 2 different circuits, in turn, but, found a direct connection to the house batteries really is the best, safest most trouble-free method to operate the macerator. They do draw up to 15 amps while operating, and an in-line fuse is mandatory. I have the portable macerator that hooks onto the main dump, and find it works quite well. I do not have enough room in the dump-valve compartment to add the permanent-mount macerator, which is the most optimum installation. It does have an in-line fuse on the motor assembly, but, I do have another in-line at the battery connections. Since my slide-out when deployed, makes using the on-pump switch difficult to reach, I added an in-line switch where it is much more accessible. I find using a macerator one of the best accessories I have purchased for our Vegas coach. Not dealing with huge 3 inch waste hose is a true innovation. I have attached extra expanding drain hose for the system, allowing me to park on the campsite in places further from the dump pipe, and more freedom in siting the coach on different campsites.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just see if Newmar will run you a wire.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Tie it in to the house batteries with an in line fuse.
2013 ACE 29.2

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
That is kind of hard to say before the coach is assembled.

For example.. In my coach the black tank, is,,, of course,, under the toilet (In my case the toilet in the half bath) the master fuse panel for the house is in a short hallway.. on the wall shared with the self same half bath so it is less than six feet from the wall less than 10 feet of 10ga wire was used to hook up the pump.

On the other hand I have seen the fuse panel 20 feet from the dump valve.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times